Apartments Coming to Lake Sumter?

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2020, 11:09 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
As other posters have pointed out Cane Garden is in need of a remodel job - outdated and showing much wear. Hacienda Hills was a couple miles from Spanish Springs downtown and it came down. Given the HH move why wouldn't the developer follow suit with other CC's ?
I'll tell you a secret if you promise not to tell - The Country Clubs are really just restaurants. Bad, unsupported restaurants fail all the time.

Our secret.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I'll tell you a secret if you promise not to tell - The Country Clubs are really just restaurants. Bad, unsupported restaurants fail all the time.

Our secret.
I did a quickie search of the internet and this was stated many times:

"The statistics regarding restaurant failure are staggering. Approximately 60% of restaurants fail within the first year of operation, 80% fail within the first five years. Sometimes, however, learning the pitfalls before you develop a restaurant business plan is the best way to avoid them." And this is during non-pandemic times.

There was a Chinese restaurant back in our former home town that had been there for years until the food quality and variety started to decline. It closed not long after due to customer loss.
There is another Chinese restaurant near our former home that had been there for years also, but they are still in business because the quality and variety of food has been consistent. Restaurants are a tough business.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

This sign was posted on the outside wall of the Van Heusen store building at LSL. I guess they are specifically targeting that building (it does have a nice 2nd floor w/balcony).

The Villages Florida
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldkatz View Post
Having property in creek side lake sumpter area I can say music is loud I can’t imagine how loud it would be on the square
I agree plus the smell from the various restaurants ugh x10
Old 09-17-2020, 12:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
This sign was posted on the outside wall of the Van Heusen store building at LSL. I guess they are specifically targeting that building (it does have a nice 2nd floor w/balcony).
That one building is not being targeted.

The attached notice was published in the Daily Sun. ALL the buildings around LSL Market Square - those buildings surrounded by Old Camp Rd and Lake Shore Dr - are located within four parcels that are going to be rezoned for multi-family residential.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200913_145347758.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	86276  
Old 09-17-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I agree - that's the point. The developer is leasing out the CC restaurants at a fixed rate and the lessee is the one that does or doesn't make a profit dependent upon traffic flow (and the success rate of policing those lemon water drinkers). My guess is turning these facilities into high end apartments will yield much more profit with less headaches for the developer. When remodel time comes why not convert to the more profitable endeavor ? As many point out here the developer is in business to make money. Might as well maximize it. Goodbye Cane Garden - The restaurants are right down the street at Sumter Landing Square. Any predictions on which CC gets turned into apartments after Cane Garden ?
Where may I ask did you get the facts about Cane Garden closing and apartments going in?
Old 09-17-2020, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
Where may I ask did you get the facts about Cane Garden closing and apartments going in?
Facts?
There you go again.
Confusing the argument!
Old 09-17-2020, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
That one building is not being targeted.
Couldn't it be one of many? If ALL are then that ONE is, no? The posted sign on the wall specifically read "THIS PROPERTY" I assumed it meant THAT PROPERTY to which it was taped up on. Whether it is all of LSL or just THAT property was ONE of many I couldn't and didn't say, but it did say THIS PROPERTY where the sign was attached.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:04 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnytalk View Post
My concern is the removing of Country Clubs, less for us to visit and enjoy.
More apartments more people , you will never get to watch another square show unless you get by 4PM to save your seat.
The restaurants and bowling alleys closing due to high rents especially during the conoravirus?
We the HO' s will lose out on the benefits while the Morse family gets richer , she will come a point where this is no the place to live and the home values is go down.
Only my opinion
Did you not read the message in another thread FROM THE OWNER OF THE TWO BOWLING ALLEYS that said they are NOT closing them... they are NOT selling them.
Yet you are continuing to fuel this unfounded narrative about everything closing down and the Morse's getting richer.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:

Our secret.
More worthless information, not a secret.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:27 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
I agree - that's the point. The developer is leasing out the CC restaurants at a fixed rate and the lessee is the one that does or doesn't make a profit dependent upon traffic flow (and the success rate of policing those lemon water drinkers). My guess is turning these facilities into high end apartments will yield much more profit with less headaches for the developer. When remodel time comes why not convert to the more profitable endeavor ? As many point out here the developer is in business to make money. Might as well maximize it. Goodbye Cane Garden - The restaurants are right down the street at Sumter Landing Square. Any predictions on which CC gets turned into apartments after Cane Garden ?
Hacienda Country Club had significant issues (I've heard it was mold) that led to its closing. No restaurant owner wanted to invest the amount of money it would take to "fix" that restaurant. The AAC didn't want to buy it and fix it either. If a restaurateur saw potential in Hacienda CC, it would still exist.
In contrast... let's look at Lopez. The Suleiman's saw potential. They gutted the building and created a wonderful restaurant. (I think they found more problems than they anticipated when they started the refurbishment). But now, it's an excellent restaurant. (Note - it did NOT get turned into apartments).
I honestly don't think the Developer wants to change everything into apartments. But if restaurateur's don't see a profit in a venue, they're not going to invest in it. If people aren't patronizing establishments, they will go out of business. If The Developer can't find restaurateurs to run Country Club restaurants (or any restaurants), The Developer will find another use for that space.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:

Our secret.
Not a secret. Every so called Country Club should be arrested for impersonating the name " Country Club ".

For a realistic name would be as an example: Cane Garden Diner, or Restaurant, but Country Club ? C'mon.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:40 AM

Why should this surprise anyone? The developer owns all the downtown real estate and when you own it, you can generally do what you want with your property if given the proper permits by the county. No surprise to me, nor does it matter to me. Some people would enjoy living in the midst of the downtown activity I suspect. At the prices the developer is charging for apartment rental, only the well off are likely to be interested so this is not likely to detract from the neighborhood if that is anyone's concern.
Closed Thread

Tags
sumter, lake, amendment, hacienda, permitted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.