Application to cover concrete driveway

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2018, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

I am amazed at how many people want to fix something that is not broken. I am an engineer with decades of construction experience. I believe that concrete is a great product and it looks great too. Why not just leave it alone?
Old 02-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I am amazed at how many people want to fix something that is not broken. I am an engineer with decades of construction experience. I believe that concrete is a great product and it looks great too. Why not just leave it alone?
It's just the "blah" factor, I suppose.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
I have had all except for pavers. I now have the liquid concrete. The best ever. Never shows tire marks and lasts for years.
What are you talking about?????
Old 02-28-2018, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

We had our driveway painted, almost 4 years ago, no fading, no maintenance except for the occasional pressure wash. No tire marks, and 2 cars are parked on this driveway 24/7/365, our daily drivers. Also had the driveway expanded during this period, and the installer was able to match the original color and design, looks like it was all done at the same time. As note above, we had 'shark grip' added to the paint so we do not have a slippery mess when it rains. Our neighbor with THIN pavers has mentioned a few times that he wishes he had painted instead of installing THIN pavers. Also as noted above I have another friend that experienced significant water intrusion problems in the garage after having 2 inch pavers installed. I believe there is a thread on this installation.
Bottom line, do what you want to do, be sure to get ARC approval before you start work.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
My preferred method is to just leave the bare concrete alone. I recently viewed a house for sale that had several sections of stamped concrete that had separated from the concrete underneath and needed to be repaired. I have also seen paved driveways with many cracks in the pavers.
I wish I could leave the bare concrete but I have one problem. The concrete near my front door, has dark brown stains that I can not remove. I have tried an arsenal of cleaners, straight, and nothing touches these stains. I don't know what the stains are but the concrete had these stains when we purchased the house. It is time to cover up that mess so I have to do something.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:25 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
I've seen 3 homes with Chattahoochee river rock over top of the cement. Looks fabulous and very durable, just about maintenance free.
This does look nice, and is typically not slippery. However, in a neighborhood I lived in until this year, the surrounding homes were about 20 years old. Many of the driveways were done in this fashion. They had large portions spall off of the concrete it was attached to.

One other option that I never see in The Villages, is stained concrete. There is oil based and latex based. VERY cheap and easy to do yourself, and often looks amazing. I did it on a patio and lanai in a previous home and got tons of compliments.

On the Go Concrete option, I would think that using a UV sealer every 3 years or so would minimize fading.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
We had pavers laid immediately we purchased, I love ours but I would not recommend them. Our driveway and walk looks great, but pavers do crack and it is almost impossible to find someone who wants to work on them. In our case my other half does our pavers every year or sometimes more often when needed. Our pavers have not stained, but you have to maintain them regularly.

I would add that as a "walker" I see many driveways that are decorated with the owner's choice - i.e. team emblems, animals, pictures. This is fine while you own the house, but not so good when you come to sell the property! IMHO if you intend to decorate the driveway, make it a generic decoration.
I agree about the decorative additions to personalize a driveway. I'm not a fan.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
I have had all except for pavers. I now have the liquid concrete. The best ever. Never shows tire marks and lasts for years.
What is liquid concrete? Who applies this? Are there different colors and designs or is it a solid color?
Old 02-28-2018, 04:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Bottom line, do what you want to do, be sure to get ARC approval before you start work.
Hope this helps.
Great advise about the ARC approval. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

We have a textured drive that looks like brick pavers. It was done by previous owners in 2010 we have had small repair near garage, and resealed cost was $850 for 2 car drive plus golf cart.

Needs to be resealed ever 3 years or so. While it looks nice I would not do it to our next house. River rock needs to be resealed if in direct sun every 2 to 3 years.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I wish I could leave the bare concrete but I have one problem. The concrete near my front door, has dark brown stains that I can not remove. I have tried an arsenal of cleaners, straight, and nothing touches these stains. I don't know what the stains are but the concrete had these stains when we purchased the house. It is time to cover up that mess so I have to do something.
Try rubbing it with a pumice stone. You can buy them at Home Depot in yhe swimming pool section.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Try rubbing it with a pumice stone. You can buy them at Home Depot in yhe swimming pool section.
Thank you. I'll try that. If it ruins the concrete....oh well. We are covering it anyway. LOL.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

All is personal choice, we had ours painted three years ago by Decorative Concrete and seal it every year, no fading, not slippery.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-28-2018, 07:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Every couple of years, I have Egner's, (352) 728-8537, clean my all concrete driveway. It's not pressure washing with a wand. They come with what looks like an over-sized buffing machine. My driveway is a large, circular one; about twice the size of what I'd call a regular driveway. They clean right up to my front door. It's been costing me $180.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:40 AM

I am not sure how those concrete applications work down here in the south but up north they chip off and water gets beneath them. I have seen this personally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
application, concrete, cover, driveway, pavers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.