Aquariums in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2020, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,613 Times in 5,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Was it the SPECIAL?
No, they need to raise the price to make it the special.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Maybe one of the nicest hobbies I've ever enjoyed in my entire life. I've only dabbled in Salt Water Fish because of the heartbreak when they die because of the cost of purchasing them. WOW! It was mostly our fault because we could never get the water just the way the little darlings liked it.

Freshwater tanks are a walk in the park to maintain and we had much better luck with the Longevity if the fish. Each one of our boys had a 20-gallon tank in their room and really took care of them to my surprise. We shared a tank that was either 225 or 250 gallons and had a person come once or twice a month and clean it up and drain water out and refill with water that came in a box. It was quite the setup. I'm pretty sure it was under a hundred a month all in. It was in the basement because of the weight of the tank and we had the perfect spot where all the heating and filtering equipment could be plumbed in behind the wall out of site and nice and quiet. Thanks for bringing this up, lots of great memories.

I wish I could help you with a great maintenance company here but don't have a tank big enough to need a service anymore. I wish you luck.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,025 Times in 5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
We had beautiful Koi that were massacred. We still have pond with a running waterfall and frogs have moved in!
Previous owner had kai but apparently egrets have a constitutional right to eat them.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgamble3 View Post
This is a survey to try and determine how many Villagers have an aquarium or would like one. Also do you have an aquarium maintenance vendor, or do you perform your own maintenance. Please specify size of tank (gallons) and salt or fresh water.
Thank you for your response.
Good grief! A survey, really?
Old 10-02-2020, 05:29 AM

I have a 45 Gal fresh water so no real need for a service guy. I had a wheelchair bound neighbor here in TV. Had a beautiful 90 gal fresh and did have an outside service man. Don't know any info on him.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Previous owner had kai but apparently egrets have a constitutional right to eat them.
Funny.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:21 AM
Default Mixed marine aquarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgamble3 View Post
This is a survey to try and determine how many Villagers have an aquarium or would like one. Also do you have an aquarium maintenance vendor, or do you perform your own maintenance. Please specify size of tank (gallons) and salt or fresh water.
Thank you for your response.
Yes, I have a 150 gallon mixed marine (saltwater) aquarium. Had it before we moved here and it came with us when we moved.

Had a wonderful guy from Ocala come to our house in Wesley Chapel and move it to TV for us.

I am taking care of it myself, including partial water changes every two to three weeks, cleaning the glass from algae, periodic sand cleaning, etc.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:54 AM

No thanks to aquariums. Way too much work, you have to worry about it when you leave on a trip, the fish are in a jail of sorts and subject to you starving or suffocating them.
Like so many things, they might be nice in the beginning and then you forget it’s there and it becomes more of a pain than a joy.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourBrain View Post
No thanks to aquariums. Way too much work, you have to worry about it when you leave on a trip, the fish are in a jail of sorts and subject to you starving or suffocating them.
Like so many things, they might be nice in the beginning and then you forget it’s there and it becomes more of a pain than a joy.
Of course that is your opinion. To each their own.

There are good and bad things with every hobby, some more demanding than others. Once again everyone can have their own opinion.

I have an automated feeder that works wonderfully when we want to go somewhere.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:05 AM

I don’t want to make it sound like they are not work. That is untrue. It is really about what do you enjoy.

I am rewarded when I get done with my weekly or monthly maintenance with a beautiful addition in our family room.

Also, as many of the corals in the wild are dying due to pollution and climate change the aquarists are saving some species from extinction and have even contributed to the reestablishing some coral species back into the wild.

Coral Ark - Your Tank is the Seedbank

Last edited by scottvs1961; 10-02-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:17 AM

Saltwater tanks are beautiful and a great hobby, we had a huge one for many years but they are expensive to maintain and very time consuming. There is a learning curve and even then one tiny thing may be off and your entire tank can wipe out and saltwater fish are not cheap at all. Probably a good thing too to have an extra tank to quarantine new fish so you don't risk you're entire tank. It's work for sure.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

such an excellent idea. ive worked with all kinds of critters for a good portion of my job/career. when it came to fish, an extra tank was most important. we never let 'new' fish into an aquarium without observing them in a 'hospital' tank for almost 2 weeks before allowing them to join their new friends. you can watch for any type of illness this way, & if 1 or 2 should die within purchase time, you can confidently assure the seller this new addition did not catch anything from your current fish residents. i say that because some fish can be very costly, & some sellers have a warranty, so look into that too when purchasing. i do know it was tough to maintain brackish h20, it required constant attention, & some of the toughest critters to keep an eye on were puffers. so cute, but they like to eat almost any other fish within their size. keep community fish in community tank, agressives need their own space. good luck & have fun!!
Old 10-02-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Check with ARC and make sure about the number of pets you can have.
For the people with no sense of humor.....that was a Joke.
Enjoyed your answer. It’s a shame you had to explain it was a joke in case someone takes your comedic statement as gospel and gets offended.

BTW - I HAVE smelled the color nine. It is very similar to climbing the music.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:40 AM
Default Perhaps a Betta

I'd love to start a small tank -- probably something in the 10 gallon range -- stocked with something like a few corries and a betta.

Are there any specialty aquarium stores in the area? I'd like to be able to visit somewhere with a larger selection of tanks and fish than the local Petsmart, and where I would expect the staff to be more knowledgeable about fish keeping.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:24 AM
Sage

Tri-County Podiatry at Colony installed a beautiful aquarium when they opened that office.
Closed Thread

Tags
maintenance, aquarium, vendor, perform, aquariums

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.