Arbor - Sun Protector

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Default Arbor - Sun Protector

Thinking about having a sun protector installed - noticed many in TV - I think they are called arbors but could be wrong - can anyone please tell me about them - cost? who installs them? thank you
Old 03-19-2013, 04:38 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWRDW View Post
Thinking about having a sun protector installed - noticed many in TV - I think they are called arbors but could be wrong - can anyone please tell me about them - cost? who installs them? thank you
I think this is what you are referring to....they are called Pergolas. Here are a few pics of the one I just built for my wife at our house.....

The Villages FloridaThe Villages Florida

I bought the kit online through Costco and reconfigured and built it myself...

Frank D'Angelo ACI
Old 03-19-2013, 05:34 PM

Very..very.. nice looking ..great job !!!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Sage

Beautiful, I love it.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Sage

Awesome - absolutely love it. Not sure that a pergola does much other than look really, really good and provide a place to hang plants from, but I sure do love them. Yeah, I guess maybe a little shade!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Veteran member

really nice...love it.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Thank you. I only posted because I was trying to help the first poster, DEWRDW.

I know there ARE businesses who do build these for folks in The Villages. Prices and quality vary, but I thought I'd post our project just to give a starting point. The kit and materials cost me just under $1500.00

I did see nicer kits that went for more....up to over $3,000. And that was with no labor. This one was good enough for us. Some of the more expensive ones are vinyl with aluminum in them...this one was vinyl with treated lumber inside some of the members.

We put it up because it does a great job of shading the two windows in the corner from the afternoon sun. It was a fun and pretty easy project.

Since I took the pictures I stained and sealed the new patio the Pergola is on...did the staining mostly a silvery gray with blue and a very little reddish/brown mixed in....we were pleased with the result.

Frank D'Angelo
Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Sage

I'm building one that will be screened in like the birdcages you see here.

About 500 sq ft
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Nice Jim!
We plan on building a new 14' x 24' screened in lanai around the back door and longer window area....when I poured the new patio I put in a beefy footer for it. Will screen in the walls, but put a regular roof over it.

Right now I'm too busy building the new garage on the other side of the house.

Getting back to the subject......I think pergolas add a nice touch to some homes.....sitting under one is unique....you're kind of in a room, but still outside....

Frank
Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Awesome - absolutely love it. Not sure that a pergola does much other than look really, really good and provide a place to hang plants from, but I sure do love them. Yeah, I guess maybe a little shade!
have a friend who, after building theirs, decided there were days when solid shade was needed! rigged a pullie system so that a large piece of canvas [that his wife bought and added grommets to] can be attached to a couple of clips and pulled from the ground up and over the top of the pergola...thus, providing relief from the sun! made him happy that they did not have to invest in a gazebo!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
have a friend who, after building theirs, decided there were days when solid shade was needed! rigged a pullie system so that a large piece of canvas [that his wife bought and added grommets to] can be attached to a couple of clips and pulled from the ground up and over the top of the pergola...thus, providing relief from the sun! made him happy that they did not have to invest in a gazebo!
Good idea!

Our kids in Ohio have one and they planted some viney leafy things that vine up and over and make a natural shady canopy and bloom too.

Frank, your home is immaculate and beautifully maintained and your craftmanship is awesome. You never cease to amaze me.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
I think this is what you are referring to....they are called Pergolas. Here are a few pics of the one I just built for my wife at our house.....

The Villages FloridaThe Villages Florida

I bought the kit online through Costco and reconfigured and built it myself...

Frank D'Angelo ACI
Thanks so much - this is it - we will check into it!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:32 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Thank you Gracie,
You are always so kind. The company that makes this and many other kits is called New England Arbors. They were wonderful to work with. There are fancier and more expensive kits and companies out there but for us this was the best price, etc.

They have a website and they also sell through some of the big "club" stores. We bought this kit through Costco, but it is shipped directly from New England Arbors. This kit was 12 x 12, but I wanted to adapt it to more like a custom 9 x 12 size and it was easy.

As to plants, my wife plans on having some climb up and around it. As an Inspector, I just caution folks never let plants get too close to your home exterior, especially around the soffit and roof area......keep it trimmed away from the main house.

Frank
Old 03-21-2013, 05:59 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments - they were appreciated.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.