Area to Avoid for Sinkholes

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2018, 12:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

To avoid sinkholes one must first avoid the ground.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,375 Times in 3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
Maybe the better questions would be:

What type of insurance (and what carriers are the most reliable) do I need to protect my investment from the risk of sinkholes?

How much should I expect to pay (annually)?

...Then buy the house you like, get the coverage you want and worry less.
This isn't very helpful information. We'll be doing the lifestyle visit this year and sinkholes are a big issue for me. Primarily because the biggest sinkhole I have ever personally experienced is a 1-foot depression in my front yard. It's mostly just a minor inconvenience when I'm mowing the lawn.

Insurance is well and good, but doesn't really address the personal health to human beings issue. I would really hate to step out of my back door in the morning for my cup of coffee with my nose in a book or reading the newspaper, only to discover that I'm 3 feet down a broken ankle and arm because the lanai sunk into a sinkhole while I was sleeping last night.

I've read three threads so far about sinkholes and have over a dozen more, in my search for "where the majority of the sinkholes are in the Villages."
Old 06-07-2018, 10:46 AM
Sage

When I first moved here, I was shaken when a house burned down from a lightning strike. I was concerned about buying a house that could withstand hurricane winds.

I have been here five years and don't sweat these issues anymore including sinkholes. One must control their anxiety or else you will never move here.

No place is safe from weather conditions and wanting a ironclad guarantee is unrealistic.

Good luck in what you decide to do.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 06-07-2018, 11:05 AM

When someone figures out how to predict where a sinkhole is likely, I'm sure they will create a service offering and make a pile of cash off of it. Until then, the science of predicting a sinkhole is about the same as predicting the precise location of a spot where lightning will strike twice. If the prospect of a sinkhole will keep you up at night, the best thing to do is find another state to live in. Then you can find other natural occurrences to try and predict, like earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, wild fires, mudslides, etc.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
This isn't very helpful information. We'll be doing the lifestyle visit this year and sinkholes are a big issue for me. Primarily because the biggest sinkhole I have ever personally experienced is a 1-foot depression in my front yard. It's mostly just a minor inconvenience when I'm mowing the lawn.

Insurance is well and good, but doesn't really address the personal health to human beings issue. I would really hate to step out of my back door in the morning for my cup of coffee with my nose in a book or reading the newspaper, only to discover that I'm 3 feet down a broken ankle and arm because the lanai sunk into a sinkhole while I was sleeping last night.

I've read three threads so far about sinkholes and have over a dozen more, in my search for "where the majority of the sinkholes are in the Villages."
I think TomC was trying to help as have others but you’re not hearing what you want to hear. You sound exasperated rather than grateful with posters who are just trying to help you.

From your posts, you seem very nervous about sinkholes. That’s ok. I don’t think a Lifestyle visit will erase your fears. I truly think the best advice for you is to look to retire somewhere other than Central Florida. Why put yourself through all this stress? I hope you find peace with your final decision. Namaste.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:57 AM

There is a very helpful map posted on TOTV with yellow dots marking where sinkholes in the Villages have been (search for it on either TOTV search or google) Currently we have a problem with sink holes in the village of Calumet Grove.....not that you can ever predict where future sink holes will be, but that is just good knowledge to have when you are shopping for a home. Please don't let the threat of sink holes stop you from choosing to visit or buy in The Villages. It is not something you can control, but you can get insurance to safeguard your investment.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:59 PM
Default Clarification

If there a village that has more sink holes than other villages?
Old 06-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

According to the unmentionable news source CDD 4 is going to be picking up a pretty hefty tab for the sinkhole remediation needed on McLawren Terrace. The district does not carry insurance to cover such occurrences.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-08-2018, 02:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I really think asking where a sinkhole will form is like asking someone in tornado pron areas where will a tornado form. People don’t mean to not be helpful, we just dont know.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I really think asking where a sinkhole will form is like asking someone in tornado pron areas where will a tornado form. People don’t mean to not be helpful, we just dont know.
All true. If there were "sink hole prone" places, it would become common knowledge very quickly.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:16 AM
Bosoxfan

[QUOTE=villagetinker;1548902]I agree with comments above, however, if this is a major concern, contact a geologist, and have a discussion with them. As for the villages, IMHO most if not all areas have an equal chance for a possible sinkhole, you may need to go outside of TV to eliminate or limit the possibility.
[QUOTE]

Why would avoiding the Villages help?
Old 07-06-2018, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,375 Times in 3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I think TomC was trying to help as have others but you’re not hearing what you want to hear. You sound exasperated rather than grateful with posters who are just trying to help you.

From your posts, you seem very nervous about sinkholes. That’s ok. I don’t think a Lifestyle visit will erase your fears. I truly think the best advice for you is to look to retire somewhere other than Central Florida. Why put yourself through all this stress? I hope you find peace with your final decision. Namaste.
That was my first post. This is my second post. It's also the first time I've even visited this website since the first time I posted.

Meanwhile, I've seen people tell me not to move to the Villages because they think I'm stressed out about sinkholes. And one claiming that since no one can predict weather problems anywhere, I shouldn't be concerned about this. Pro-tip - sinkholes aren't a weather condition.

I've scheduled my lifestyle visit and will continue watching and reading the news to see if there are any new collapses. Til then, I've already figured out which parts we should avoid trying to buy in, because they are the -most likely- to see more collapse, compared with the rest of TV. Does that mean I think if I move there my home will be swallowed? Nope. Does it mean I think if I watch the patterns I can reduce my risk? Yup.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
That was my first post. This is my second post. It's also the first time I've even visited this website since the first time I posted.

Meanwhile, I've seen people tell me not to move to the Villages because they think I'm stressed out about sinkholes. And one claiming that since no one can predict weather problems anywhere, I shouldn't be concerned about this. Pro-tip - sinkholes aren't a weather condition.

I've scheduled my lifestyle visit and will continue watching and reading the news to see if there are any new collapses. Til then, I've already figured out which parts we should avoid trying to buy in, because they are the -most likely- to see more collapse, compared with the rest of TV. Does that mean I think if I move there my home will be swallowed? Nope. Does it mean I think if I watch the patterns I can reduce my risk? Yup.
I have kept a close eye on this as well for ten years now and see no discernable pattern or cause. The Villages are NOT as sinkhole prone as the area around Tampa. Central Florida is the lightning capital of the whole U.S. and we in The Villages have the best credit rating in the whole U.S. We also have the lowest birthrate. We are known as drinkers with a golf problem too. And I have NEVER seen so many old-er people before in one place.

Welcome Jazz, be sure and share your information with us and good luck. Sinkholes scare the liver out of most of us.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Keep your eye on the Sinkhole situation. That’s way you won’t think about Gators and Snakes and Weather like I did. Thank God for the same people who are helping you. We barely survived two years. It’s been really rough.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:31 PM
Sage

Bada bing, bada boom. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
sinkholes, area, community, prevalent, homes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.