Area to Avoid for Sinkholes

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,881 Times in 2,427 Posts

IMO there difference between sinkholes and development land ground collapse. IMO ground collapses gives natural sinkholes a bad rap. IMO I also think most sinholes you see around here and over the world in developed areas are ground collapses from water pressure lines, street drain tubing failures, and structural drainage problem. IMO most the time is waY for engineers and insurance to blame nature for engineered failure and who would think insurance would cover natural occurrences?

IMO I haven't seen natural sinkhole since I been here. IMO all related to retention ponds and under ground drain tube failures. If it looks like duck, quakes like duck, and walks like duck, most likely it's a DUCK. As for the question any developed area in time could have sinkholes aka ground collapse.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

We had LOTS of STINKholes (among other ----holes) in NJ, that's why we left ........ ever drive down RT 1 in Carteret? Right Nucky?

Ohhhhhhhhhh ... never mind, that was SINKholes!
Old 07-07-2018, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Default Sinkhole

The Villages Florida

Old 07-08-2018, 07:49 AM
Sage

IMHO if you have a home in Florida, you may be affected by the formation of a sinkhole. See all those white water spots in the shower, the kitchen sink, and on the car ? That is dissolved Florida bedrock, which is water soluble. At any time, water erosion can cause weakening of the bedrock and a new sinkhole will appear.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,881 Times in 2,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
We had LOTS of STINKholes (among other ----holes) in NJ, that's why we left ........ ever drive down RT 1 in Carteret? Right Nucky?

Ohhhhhhhhhh ... never mind, that was SINKholes!
Ok ,let's leave politicians out of it.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,461 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO there difference between sinkholes and development land ground collapse. IMO ground collapses gives natural sinkholes a bad rap. IMO I also think most sinholes you see around here and over the world in developed areas are ground collapses from water pressure lines, street drain tubing failures, and structural drainage problem. IMO most the time is waY for engineers and insurance to blame nature for engineered failure and who would think insurance would cover natural occurrences?

IMO I haven't seen natural sinkhole since I been here. IMO all related to retention ponds and under ground drain tube failures. If it looks like duck, quakes like duck, and walks like duck, most likely it's a DUCK. As for the question any developed area in time could have sinkholes aka ground collapse.
I think this is where misinformation ends up taking over threads, yes agreed 100%. I contributed to it by using the term sink holes. And of course it's true - it's absolutely more likely to be struck by lightning, than lose your home to a sinkhole, in the Villages. But it appears a lot more likely to lose your home, or parts of it, or parts of your property, or parts of the road in front of your home, to a ground collapse, than it is to be struck by lightning in the villages.

How many people have been struck by lightning in the villages, in the last 2 years?
Compare with how many ground collapses have occurred in the last 2 years?
How many ground collapses have occurred in the villages, as compared to another really highly developed property - let's say, Disney World, and Epcot, for example, in the last two years? Or how about in Leesburg, in the last 2 years?

How many have occurred on the west, and southwest, half of TV, as compared to Spanish Springs and the northeastern and southeastern corners of TV, in the last 2 years?

What I've seen, is that the area northeast of the Spanish Springs town square hasn't seen any activity with ground collapses. The oldest area has had no ground collapse activity, while the newer sections have enough to make national news.

What's different, other than the fact that the older section has a whole lot of double-wides?
Closed Thread

Tags
sinkholes, area, community, prevalent, homes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.