In-Area ID?

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Platinum member
Default In-Area ID?

My 89 year-old Mother-in-Law loves visiting us in The Villages and she Looooves having her own Villages Guest ID, even though she doesn't use the pools, golf, pickleball, tennis, etc... She proudly shows her guest ID at Katy Belles & the rec centers. Having the Villages Guest ID is a BIG deal to her. (I think she has kept every one that was issued to her since we moved here ;-)

After having some health issues, she will be moving to an independent living facility near us next month, in Sumter County. I checked the District Gov website to see what I could do to get her an In-Area guest pass, and this is what the website says:

". . . A resident who has a son, daughter, grandchild or great grandchild (and their spouses) who reside in Lake, Marion or Sumter counties may apply for an In-Area Guest ID card. . . The In-Area Guest ID card for qualified family members is valid for one (1) year from date of issuance."

Are these the only relatives who are covered by the In-Area Guest ID card? What about my husband's 89-year-old mother? Does anyone here have any experience with a situation like ours? Has anyone had their mother move nearby?

What would she use it for, you ask? Maybe nothing... but this woman LOVES having her Villages Guest ID! lol I would really like to get one for her if I can.

Thanks for any information,
Judy
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Sage

No, she is NOT eligible for the in-area guest pass under any circumstance. It is ONLY the son, daughter, grandchild or great grandchild (and their spouses). Parents, parents-in-law, siblings, nieces, nephews, etc are all excluded.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
My 89 year-old Mother-in-Law loves visiting us in The Villages and she Looooves having her own Villages Guest ID, even though she doesn't use the pools, golf, pickleball, tennis, etc... She proudly shows her guest ID at Katy Belles & the rec centers. Having the Villages Guest ID is a BIG deal to her. (I think she has kept every one that was issued to her since we moved here ;-)

After having some health issues, she will be moving to an independent living facility near us next month, in Sumter County. I checked the District Gov website to see what I could do to get her an In-Area guest pass, and this is what the website says:

". . . A resident who has a son, daughter, grandchild or great grandchild (and their spouses) who reside in Lake, Marion or Sumter counties may apply for an In-Area Guest ID card. . . The In-Area Guest ID card for qualified family members is valid for one (1) year from date of issuance."

Are these the only relatives who are covered by the In-Area Guest ID card? What about my husband's 89-year-old mother? Does anyone here have any experience with a situation like ours? Has anyone had their mother move nearby?

What would she use it for, you ask? Maybe nothing... but this woman LOVES having her Villages Guest ID! lol I would really like to get one for her if I can.

Thanks for any information,
Judy
Why not call to get this information?
Customer Service Center
3201 Wedgewood Lane
The Villages, FL 32162
Phone: 352-753-4508 •
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

i'd sure give it a shot to ask for a favor to please my mother!!!

and if that didn't work, i'd scan one of her old guest passes into my computer and massage the details until I made it look like the real thing!

my mother is worth ANY infraction the villages can throw at me!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Sage

Use her old address and get a annual pass - since she isn't using the pass, she won't have to show proof of her address.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
No, she is NOT eligible for the in-area guest pass under any circumstance. It is ONLY the son, daughter, grandchild or great grandchild (and their spouses). Parents, parents-in-law, siblings, nieces, nephews, etc are all excluded.

Crazy rule - you can't have your mother or father, brother or sister as a guest!

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
My 89 year-old Mother-in-Law loves visiting us in The Villages and she Looooves having her own Villages Guest ID, even though she doesn't use the pools, golf, pickleball, tennis, etc... She proudly shows her guest ID at Katy Belles & the rec centers. Having the Villages Guest ID is a BIG deal to her. (I think she has kept every one that was issued to her since we moved here ;-) Judy
That is so cute! I bet if you explained the situation, they would bend the rules and issue a Guest ID Card. They're not heartless, and this situation is unique!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

That's so sweet.

Since she's not going to use it, just tell her her last ID is still good!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Crazy rule - you can't have your mother or father, brother or sister as a guest!

You can get a guest pass for about anyone if they reside outside the tri-county area.. It is the in area guest passes that are restricted. They had to restrict the area guess passes to prevent over usage of facilities.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
That is so cute! I bet if you explained the situation, they would bend the rules and issue a Guest ID Card. They're not heartless, and this situation is unique!
I doubt if they would bend the rules. If they started bending the rules they would have to bend them for others. Keep in mind these rules were put in place for the benefit of residents. A lot of facilities are already over crowded. Bending the rules would create more overcrowding. That is not what we want to happen.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
i'd sure give it a shot to ask for a favor to please my mother!!!

and if that didn't work, i'd scan one of her old guest passes into my computer and massage the details until I made it look like the real thing!

my mother is worth ANY infraction the villages can throw at me!
Maybe this is something you would do but I hope it would not become common practice. We rely on the honesty and integrity of our fellow residents
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

OP should have contacted Customer Service and explained......rather than posting on TOTV and opening a big can of worms.
Most times discretion can get results.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Platinum member

Thanks for all the great information. You're ALL right, of course. I shouldn't have opened up my big mouth (or big fat fingers).

I'll give Customer Service a call, but rules are rules.

Thanks for your replies,
Judy
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 03-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Maybe this is something you would do but I hope it would not become common practice. We rely on the honesty and integrity of our fellow residents
downeaster - I learned long ago to never rely on the honesty and integrity of anyone except my personal moral compass...and it has served me well!

Old 03-23-2013, 04:07 PM
Veteran member

Before you call, (and do think carefully before you answer) - What will your mother's legal address be when she moves? Where will she file her income taxes from? Where will her bills and pension/banking information be delivered?

I'm not saying that you should lie, but if the answer to where her "legal" residence is *your home*, then she's living in your home (even if she temporarily in a nursing home).

Just saying...
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.