Arrogant Sumter County Tax Appraiser

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2019, 05:01 PM
Veteran member
Default Arrogant Sumter County Tax Appraiser

Today i talked to Joey Ho*ten our Sumter County Appraiser to ask for his Email to send a Notice to him About these outragest Tax increases and the uneven Trim Notices.
Mr. Ho*ten was not only arrogant but condescending and refused to give me his email. To say the least it wasn't to hard to figure out his email. Here it is Folks and i am sure you can figure it out to.
joey.h**ten@sumtercountyfl.gov , Sumter County Tax Appraiser.
What these Government officials have forgotten is they are Public servants and are here to service the tax payers and not to sit in there plush offices we pay for and collect their 6 plus digit salary's that we pay for also.
Instead of going to these Tax hearing that does no good IMHO fight your tax increase. Has anyone even looked at there trim notices and compared them to there Neighbors. It's all online, The trim notices are all over the board and some of the trim increases this year went up 50 to 100k in market value in one year even though the assessed value only went up marginal. Some of my neighbors have there assessed value 100's of thousand under there sale price. Can someone smell something like a dirty diapers.
Maybe its time to start asking our Sumter County Tax Appraiser why this is? Also the 194 Statue requires them to go out ever 5 years to fairly assess these neighborhoods.
Wake up folks you are being herded for continuous tax increase over the next ten years.
Maybe contacting our Appraiser for some explanation and correction will rectify some increases. Unless the Sumter county Appraiser decides to be Arrogant with you as well. I suggest standing up to him! He works for us! This is a joke what they are doing and i know some of you folks are to busy playing golf and i get it, but why are we paying for the rest of Sumter County improvements?

Last edited by Chellybean; 09-18-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:25 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Don't the taxes go up every year in Lake County?

Old 09-17-2019, 06:53 PM
Platinum member

What’s up with the asterisk in Hooten’s name?
Old 09-17-2019, 08:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Don't the taxes go up every year in Lake County?
I heard taxes wet down in lake county this year!
I don't think i ever heard of any county trying to impose a 25% tax increase!
Old 09-17-2019, 08:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
What’s up with the asterisk in Hooten’s name?
I am glad you figured it out now you have the correct email if you want ask him why the trim notices are so far off. we are being setup for more increases.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:46 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
I heard taxes wet down in lake county this year!
I don't think i ever heard of any county trying to impose a 25% tax increase!
Taxes down in Lake County - Wowza! Did not know the 2020 mil. rate had been struck!

I don't think I ever heard of any County NOT increasing [or even occasionally lowering] property taxes for 14 years in a row - regardless of the amount of development!!!!! lol

Old 09-18-2019, 09:50 AM

Anyone that is against the 25% Property tax raise needs to go to the meeting on Sept 24th at Savannah Recreation Center. It hold 850 people but they have 3 more rooms that can be filled as well. The more people that show up the better.
Regardless if you think the tax is approved already, If we don't show up we are basically letting them know they won.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:29 AM
Platinum member

I wounder how that conversation started?
Old 09-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare05 View Post
Anyone that is against the 25% Property tax raise needs to go to the meeting on Sept 24th at Savannah Recreation Center. It hold 850 people but they have 3 more rooms that can be filled as well. The more people that show up the better.
Regardless if you think the tax is approved already, If we don't show up we are basically letting them know they won.
There will be no 25% tax increase. People are getting their knickers in a hitch over nothing.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:34 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There will be no 25% tax increase. People are getting their knickers in a hitch over nothing.
Will it be much less?
Old 09-18-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post

Has anyone even looked at there trim notices and compared them to there Neighbors. It's all online, The trim notices are all over the board and some of the trim increases this year went up 50 to 100k in market value in one year even though the assessed value only went up marginal. Some of my neighbors have there assessed value 100's of thousand under there sale price. Can someone smell something like a dirty diapers.
Maybe its time to start asking our Sumter County Tax Appraiser why this is? Also the 194 Statue requires them to go out ever 5 years to fairly assess these neighborhoods.
Wake up folks you are being herded for continuous tax increase over the next ten years.
Maybe contacting our Appraiser for some explanation and correction will rectify some increases.

?

I am looking at my TRIM notice, and I am very happy with the assessments.

Yes, my market value has gone up. Good. I think my house is worth even more than that.

The assessed value has gone up only 1.9%. Good. I don't want to pay more taxes than required.

There is a benefit here in Florida called "Save Our Homes Benefit." It is on the TRIM notice. It shows the difference between the market value and the assessed value. The Save Our Homes benefit limits the increase in the assessed value to some small number. I think it might be CPI. This year it was 1.9%. Market values can go up and up, but assessed value will go up slowly as long as you stay in your home.

Buy a new home, and the process starts over at the new purchase price.

The Save Our Homes benefit reduces the tax burden on long time residents, and puts more burden on recent buyers. But - those recent buyers will benefit next year and each following year as long as they stay in their home.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:52 PM

Actually, they have won and they really don't care what we think about it. The time for addressing this issue was in the planning stage. I worked for city government for 20 years in another state. The budget process takes months and multiple meetings to come up with the final figures. Their lack of planning for future growth, which they were well advised of, is not how you manage. The 25% "proposed" increase could and should have been planned out accordingly over several years. That's what management is all about. Now the "can" can't be kicked down the road anymore and we are the sacrificial lambs. I believe a change in personnel will send a clear message once that time arrives. As for now, we have very little leverage. I'm a Sumter County resident and I approve this message.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
Actually, they have won and they really don't care what we think about it. The time for addressing this issue was in the planning stage. I worked for city government for 20 years in another state. The budget process takes months and multiple meetings to come up with the final figures. Their lack of planning for future growth, which they were well advised of, is not how you manage. The 25% "proposed" increase could and should have been planned out accordingly over several years. That's what management is all about. Now the "can" can't be kicked down the road anymore and we are the sacrificial lambs. I believe a change in personnel will send a clear message once that time arrives. As for now, we have very little leverage. I'm a Sumter County resident and I approve this message.
THERE IS NO 25% TAX INCREASE. Welcome to the Villages. Please look up how a CDD form of government works.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:25 PM
Platinum member

The only thing that approximates a 25% increase is the first line item on the TRIM titled “county.” This line item makes up only a relatively small portion of your total tax bill.

Not saying it’s good or bad but that’s where the increase (significant increase) is. It’s all there in black and white, and your total bill increase doesn’t even come close to 25%, with rare exceptions.

If you don’t understand your “Save our homes” data, call the property Assessor’s office. I did a few years ago when this was all new to me. They very patiently explained it to me. This often accounts for the fact that your neighbor’s bottom line differs from yours.

Carefully read your TRIM.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
THERE IS NO 25% TAX INCREASE. Welcome to the Villages. Please look up how a CDD form of government works.

What the CDD does, or doesn't do, has no affect on the County tax rate. They are separate entities.
Closed Thread

Tags
tax, sumter, appraiser, county, trim

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.