Arrogant Sumter County Tax Appraiser

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
I heard taxes wet down in lake county this year!
I don't think i ever heard of any county trying to impose a 25% tax increase!
Taxes went down in Fruitland Park (Pine Ridge/Pine Hills) but Lake County's went up.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
The only thing that approximates a 25% increase is the first line item on the TRIM titled “county.” This line item makes up only a relatively small portion of your total tax bill.

Not saying it’s good or bad but that’s where the increase (significant increase) is. It’s all there in black and white, and your total bill increase doesn’t even come close to 25%, with rare exceptions.

If you don’t understand your “Save our homes” data, call the property Assessor’s office. I did a few years ago when this was all new to me. They very patiently explained it to me. This often accounts for the fact that your neighbor’s bottom line differs from yours.

Carefully read your TRIM.

I should have indicated my comments were wrt Sumter County.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
The only thing that approximates a 25% increase is the first line item on the TRIM titled “county.” This line item makes up only a relatively small portion of your total tax bill.

Not saying it’s good or bad but that’s where the increase (significant increase) is. It’s all there in black and white, and your total bill increase doesn’t even come close to 25%, with rare exceptions.

If you don’t understand your “Save our homes” data, call the property Assessor’s office. I did a few years ago when this was all new to me. They very patiently explained it to me. This often accounts for the fact that your neighbor’s bottom line differs from yours.

Carefully read your TRIM.
Not in an arrogant way?
Old 09-18-2019, 03:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Not in an arrogant way?
Couldn’t have been nicer and I’m sure they’ve had to ‘splain it a million times to folks like me. I was impressed with their patience and ability to communicate.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There will be no 25% tax increase. People are getting their knickers in a hitch over nothing.
how do you know this do you have inside information or are you speculating?
Old 09-18-2019, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
Actually, they have won and they really don't care what we think about it. The time for addressing this issue was in the planning stage. I worked for city government for 20 years in another state. The budget process takes months and multiple meetings to come up with the final figures. Their lack of planning for future growth, which they were well advised of, is not how you manage. The 25% "proposed" increase could and should have been planned out accordingly over several years. That's what management is all about. Now the "can" can't be kicked down the road anymore and we are the sacrificial lambs. I believe a change in personnel will send a clear message once that time arrives. As for now, we have very little leverage. I'm a Sumter County resident and I approve this message.
Well said!
Old 09-19-2019, 05:35 AM
Sage

You are correct but some explanation is called for.

According to my TRIM notice, the Sumter County mileage rate for the County Taxes increased by 25.5%. Your assessed property value might also have gone up. Mine did by the CPI of 1.9% as per Save Our Homes. Therefore, my County Tax increased by 28.4%.

My School Tax increased by less than $10.

Therefore, my total ad-valorem taxes (County and School) increased by 13.2%. YMMV.

The non-ad valorem fees, Fire and Maintenance, did not change from last year.

At this point, I am assuming that the TRIM notice reflects what will actually come to pass.

Quote:
THERE IS NO 25% TAX INCREASE. Welcome to the Villages. Please look up how a CDD form of government works.

Last edited by biker1; 09-19-2019 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
What the CDD does, or doesn't do, has no affect on the County tax rate. They are separate entities.
Exactly.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

OMG a follow up.
Now that the tax appraiser has stepped in it; he has his Chief Deputy Shauna call me trying to convince me that the property is assessed correctly and i can get that amount for my property. Oh Boy NOW I FEEL BETTER. What a bunch of B.S.
She told me that the Realtors told her there is a boom in sales in the villages and the market is changing. Does anyone smell dirty diapers again.
It has been on a steady decline after 2013 after the boom.
Remember how we where all told , "quick buy now they are going to stop building soon" that song has been played for better than 10 years!
If this is so then why is the Villages dropping there prices by 3 to 5% on new sales.
Why! because they are realizing the market is soft and that selling near the jail and Turnpike is not peoples dream.
I have heard by realtors the market is very soft.
PEOPLE don't believe this Bull, what they tell you is to protect there own future and not biting the hand that feeds them. She also used a comp. in my neighborhood that had a sale and tried to compare it to my home, when there is a 200k pool and birdcage in there back yard and the home has ever amenity the villages offers.
People smarten up and don't believe there bull they think we are a bunch of old farts that don't know anything and we will believe what they tell us. On the contrary there is alot of educated business people, corp heads, and attorney that do know better.
Just More FYI. Funny how the appraiser send his employees to weather a storm he created with his arrogant s.
BEWARE
Old 09-19-2019, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
OMG a follow up.
Now that the tax appraiser has stepped in it; he has his Chief Deputy Shauna call me trying to convince me that the property is assessed correctly and i can get that amount for my property. Oh Boy NOW I FEEL BETTER. What a bunch of B.S.
She told me that the Realtors told her there is a boom in sales in the villages and the market is changing. Does anyone smell dirty diapers again.
Remember how we where all told , "quick buy now they are going to stop building soon" that song has been played for better than 10 years!
If this is so then why is the Villages dropping there prices by 3 to 5% on new sales.
Why! because they are realizing the market is soft and that selling near the jail and Turnpike is not peoples dream.
PEOPLE don't believe this Bull, what they tell you is to protect there own future and not biting the hand that feeds them. She also used a comp. in my neighborhood that had a sale and tried to compare it to my home, when there is a 200k pool and birdcage in there back yard and the home has ever amenity the villages offers.
People smarten up and don't believe there bull they think we are a bunch of old farts that don't know anything and we will believe what they tell us. On the contrary there is alot of educated business people, corp heads, and attorney that do know better.
Just More FYI. Funny how the appraiser send his employees to weather a storm he created with his arrogant s.
BEWARE
Chelly. She is right. Your house is worth much more than it was. There is no decline in prices of any home in The Villages.

Type your address into the browser. The full address with The Villages and zip code. Then read the estimate by a number of different companies that will pop up, including Zillow. They aren't far off of the real selling price of your home.

The only new homes with price cuts are the few that were left here and there. They have always used that marketing tool. If you really follow the price of homes you would see this. I have never sold real estate, but I watch it.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-19-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Chelly. She is right. Your house is worth much more than it was. There is no decline in prices of any home in The Villages.

Type your address into the browser. The full address with The Villages and zip code. Then read the estimate by a number of different companies that will pop up, including Zillow. They aren't far off of the real selling price of your home.
Gracie you are dead wrong, and you have drank to much coolade. Sometimes i believe you work for the Villages, but i still like you. Keep paying the heavy tax burden for all of us.

Last edited by Chellybean; 09-19-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
The only new homes with price cuts are the few that were left here and there. They have always used that marketing tool. If you really follow the price of homes you would see this. I have never sold real estate, but I watch it.
Chellybean,

Graciegirl is spot on with this explanation. Watching house sales in The Villages has been a hobby of mine since 2011.

Anyone buying in The Villages will see a profit on their investment when they go to sell it.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
OMG a follow up.
BEWARE
Wow!
Old 09-19-2019, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

The fact that your house is worth more doesn’t mean you have more money for taxes. That argument implies the way to afford your home is to sell it! Should keep realtors happy, high turnover, etc

My observation on house prices is that while there seems to be a softening in the new home prices by a tiny bit, there is also a bit of hardening in some of the older Villages.

Last edited by Velvet; 09-19-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Veteran member

The Villages proves the big Florida lie: Growth does not pay for itself | Editorial - Orlando Sentinel

Read this folks this is what we have to pay for. Wake up it's not hard to connect the dots!
Closed Thread

Tags
tax, sumter, appraiser, county, trim

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.