Arrogant Sumter County Tax Appraiser

Arrogant Sumter County Tax Appraiser

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post

Has anyone even looked at there trim notices and compared them to there Neighbors. It's all online, The trim notices are all over the board and some of the trim increases this year went up 50 to 100k in market value in one year even though the assessed value only went up marginal. Some of my neighbors have there assessed value 100's of thousand under there sale price. Can someone smell something like a dirty diapers.
Maybe its time to start asking our Sumter County Tax Appraiser why this is? Also the 194 Statue requires them to go out ever 5 years to fairly assess these neighborhoods.
Wake up folks you are being herded for continuous tax increase over the next ten years.
Maybe contacting our Appraiser for some explanation and correction will rectify some increases.

?

I am looking at my TRIM notice, and I am very happy with the assessments.

Yes, my market value has gone up. Good. I think my house is worth even more than that.

The assessed value has gone up only 1.9%. Good. I don't want to pay more taxes than required.

There is a benefit here in Florida called "Save Our Homes Benefit." It is on the TRIM notice. It shows the difference between the market value and the assessed value. The Save Our Homes benefit limits the increase in the assessed value to some small number. I think it might be CPI. This year it was 1.9%. Market values can go up and up, but assessed value will go up slowly as long as you stay in your home.

Buy a new home, and the process starts over at the new purchase price.

The Save Our Homes benefit reduces the tax burden on long time residents, and puts more burden on recent buyers. But - those recent buyers will benefit next year and each following year as long as they stay in their home.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:52 PM

Actually, they have won and they really don't care what we think about it. The time for addressing this issue was in the planning stage. I worked for city government for 20 years in another state. The budget process takes months and multiple meetings to come up with the final figures. Their lack of planning for future growth, which they were well advised of, is not how you manage. The 25% "proposed" increase could and should have been planned out accordingly over several years. That's what management is all about. Now the "can" can't be kicked down the road anymore and we are the sacrificial lambs. I believe a change in personnel will send a clear message once that time arrives. As for now, we have very little leverage. I'm a Sumter County resident and I approve this message.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
Actually, they have won and they really don't care what we think about it. The time for addressing this issue was in the planning stage. I worked for city government for 20 years in another state. The budget process takes months and multiple meetings to come up with the final figures. Their lack of planning for future growth, which they were well advised of, is not how you manage. The 25% "proposed" increase could and should have been planned out accordingly over several years. That's what management is all about. Now the "can" can't be kicked down the road anymore and we are the sacrificial lambs. I believe a change in personnel will send a clear message once that time arrives. As for now, we have very little leverage. I'm a Sumter County resident and I approve this message.
THERE IS NO 25% TAX INCREASE. Welcome to the Villages. Please look up how a CDD form of government works.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:25 PM
Gold member

The only thing that approximates a 25% increase is the first line item on the TRIM titled “county.” This line item makes up only a relatively small portion of your total tax bill.

Not saying it’s good or bad but that’s where the increase (significant increase) is. It’s all there in black and white, and your total bill increase doesn’t even come close to 25%, with rare exceptions.

If you don’t understand your “Save our homes” data, call the property Assessor’s office. I did a few years ago when this was all new to me. They very patiently explained it to me. This often accounts for the fact that your neighbor’s bottom line differs from yours.

Carefully read your TRIM.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
THERE IS NO 25% TAX INCREASE. Welcome to the Villages. Please look up how a CDD form of government works.

What the CDD does, or doesn't do, has no affect on the County tax rate. They are separate entities.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuvtheVillages For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
I heard taxes wet down in lake county this year!
I don't think i ever heard of any county trying to impose a 25% tax increase!
Taxes went down in Fruitland Park (Pine Ridge/Pine Hills) but Lake County's went up.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:09 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
The only thing that approximates a 25% increase is the first line item on the TRIM titled “county.” This line item makes up only a relatively small portion of your total tax bill.

Not saying it’s good or bad but that’s where the increase (significant increase) is. It’s all there in black and white, and your total bill increase doesn’t even come close to 25%, with rare exceptions.

If you don’t understand your “Save our homes” data, call the property Assessor’s office. I did a few years ago when this was all new to me. They very patiently explained it to me. This often accounts for the fact that your neighbor’s bottom line differs from yours.

I should have indicated my comments were wrt Sumter County.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post

Not in an arrogant way?
Old 09-18-2019, 03:58 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Not in an arrogant way?
Couldn’t have been nicer and I’m sure they’ve had to ‘splain it a million times to folks like me. I was impressed with their patience and ability to communicate.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There will be no 25% tax increase. People are getting their knickers in a hitch over nothing.
how do you know this do you have inside information or are you speculating?
Closed Thread

Tags
tax, sumter, appraiser, county, trim