Arrogant Sumter County Tax Appraiser

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
The Villages proves the big Florida lie: Growth does not pay for itself | Editorial - Orlando Sentinel

Read this folks this is what we have to pay for. Wake up it's not hard to connect the dots!

The article is misleading. It hammers on the 25% increase but fails to mention that applies ONLY to the County tax—-a relatively small part of your total bill.

Nor does it give a typical example, like the total tax bill is expected to increase by $x on a $250k home.

Either the author has not looked at a TRIM or he is intentionally misleading readers.

Seems very few folks know how to do math.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
I heard taxes wet down in lake county this year!
I don't think i ever heard of any county trying to impose a 25% tax increase!
Been here 5 years, taxes haven't gone up and in some years came down....ever here of that anywhere else you have lived?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
The article is misleading. It hammers on the 25% increase but fails to mention that applies ONLY to the County tax—-a relatively small part of your total bill.

Nor does it give a typical example, like the total tax bill is expected to increase by $x on a $250k home.

Either the author has not looked at a TRIM or he is intentionally misleading readers.

I understand your point but i think you missed mine.
There are deals made behind closed doors that we are paying for that should be paid by impact fee's etc... We all paid heavy bond cost and now we have to pay for future development and cost!
I call that double dipping, the only ones in favor of double dipping is George on Seinfeld.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

I very much agree with this post. It is not new to hear the Sentinel say misleading things about The Villages. They seem to have a vendetta against us in my opinion.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
The Villages proves the big Florida lie: Growth does not pay for itself | Editorial - Orlando Sentinel

Read this folks this is what we have to pay for. Wake up it's not hard to connect the dots!
Quote:

Typical reporting by the Sentinel regarding The Villages.....has been going on for years.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
There are deals made behind closed doors that we are paying for that should be paid by impact fee's etc... We all paid heavy bond cost and now we have to pay for future development and cost!
I call that double dipping, the only ones in favor of double dipping is George on Seinfeld.

No. It’s not my “point of view.” It’s facts. No one wants to pay higher taxes. I don’t. But to overstate the situation and refuse to listen to facts benefits no one.

Go ahead and believe your Orlando Sentinel. They’re ignoring the facts and enforcing your position so they must be correct.

Namaste.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
No. It’s not my “point of view.” It’s facts. No one wants to pay higher taxes. I don’t. But to overstate the situation and refuse to listen to facts benefits no one.

Go ahead and believe your Orlando Sentinel. They’re ignoring the facts and enforcing your position so they must be correct.

Namaste.
The fact is the county screwed up now we have to pay for it. That is the fact my friend. So believe what you want and continue to pay the high tax burden of others mistakes
Old 09-19-2019, 07:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I believe there is always a big third dip to come. When an area is fully developed the developer "sells" to "Us" all those wonderful amenity sites that most new buyers think are already part of "The Villages Package". The price to "Us" is based on the future revenue stream of those amenities as paid to the Developer through a portion of our monthly amenities fees. That price seems to be in excess of what was probably spent by the Developer, who makes another nice profit. More bonds are sold and their paydown is an allocated portion of our future amenity fees. In the past anything that seems to "makes money" is retained by the Developer, such as Championship Courses, club houses and associated pools, commercial areas and some utilities. Even some of those apparently did/are not generating the expected return on investment and have been sold/offered for sale to the CDD's. The one exception to selling under-performing assets is probably the operation of the Championship courses which are probably viewed as having great advertising and image value necessary in selling The Villages lifestyle .
Old 09-19-2019, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

Some folks will believe anything from a source they like and some folks won't believe anything from those same sources...regardless of what the facts say from either viewpoint.

One thing no one can argue with however, is that lying no longer carries the same stigma and outrage it once did and our new national sport seems to be...who can spew the biggest whoppers.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

By the way, thanks to the Florida "save our home" amendment (Google it if you aren't familiar) law the value of your home can go up $100,000 but you tax rate is limited to a small percentage over what you paid for it. If your home assessment doubles in value your taxes won't. I THINK (don't know) that this only applies to full time residents? I know you must have a homestead exemption. Our appraised value went up like $30K but my tax increase on the trim notice is like $125 for the year which is like 8% of the OLD taxes with the new rates (which aren't official yet).
Old 09-20-2019, 07:30 AM
Sage

There is no limit on the increase of the market value of your home but increases in the assessed value (which are used in the County Tax calculation) are limited by Save Our Homes (min of CPI or 3%) if you are homesteaded. Tax increases are not limited because the millage rate can change. For example, the proposed increase in my Sumter County Tax is 28%. The vast majority of this is an increase in the County Tax millage rate. The increase in my assessed value was the CPI (1.9%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
By the way, thanks to the Florida "save our home" amendment (Google it if you aren't familiar) law the value of your home can go up $100,000 but you tax rate is limited to a small percentage over what you paid for it. If your home assessment doubles in value your taxes won't. I THINK (don't know) that this only applies to full time residents? I know you must have a homestead exemption. Our appraised value went up like $30K but my tax increase on the trim notice is like $125 for the year which is like 8% of the OLD taxes with the new rates (which aren't official yet).

Last edited by biker1; 09-20-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Follow the Money

There are some residents who have an abundance of money so the impact of a bad decision of the Government (like no planning for future and reserves, etc) or the Developer to maximize his profit at the expense of those on tight fixed incomes, or the loading of Government offices with personal friends or hacks, or "you name the abuse" are hurtful to some and those that don't care because it does not effect them are selfish and lack any feelings for others. I fully recognize the Developer is in a business and some want to give a business a soul and it does not have a soul but that does not sanction abusing those in need. When I see some giving deity to the Developer rather than holding him/her responsible for his/her actions it makes me want to withdraw from any association with these selfish people. There is a practice in pricing that if a particular product or service does not have a competitor then the only thing that should measure your price is GREED. We are all living in a community where in many cases there are no competitors and so "GREED is the word of the day. This comes in many forms. It is through the price, it is through reducing the qualities, it is avoiding responsibility for sale/practices, again you name the rest. I read some posts where the author is in support of the Developer regardless of his/her practices or actions.This is a disguise to abuses and is as much of a harm as the person who is the offender. Not holding the offenders responsible is like being an enabler to an addict.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Chellybean, I just want to correct one thing that you've mentioned a couple of times that I've noticed: the right to face your accuser. That only applies to court cases. It doesn't apply to private communities and deed violations. But even if it did - your "accuser" would be Community Standards. The ONLY time they will contact you to inform you that you are not compliant with your deed restrictions, is if THEY have seen it for themselves and confronted you directly.

Jimbob from next door can send anonymous notes to CS 5 times a day, 7 days a week, for a year about how you have a statue of Jesus wearing a tye-dye t-shirt and smoking a plaster of paris joint with LED red light on the end that blinks on and off and blows real smoke on your front lawn, but it won't matter, UNLESS you actually have one of those things and Community Standards sees it after investigating the complaint.

That reminds me - I need to check my red LED light bulb and make sure it still works. Hm.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
There are some residents who have an abundance of money so the impact of a bad decision of the Government (like no planning for future and reserves, etc) or the Developer to maximize his profit at the expense of those on tight fixed incomes, or the loading of Government offices with personal friends or hacks, or "you name the abuse" are hurtful to some and those that don't care because it does not effect them are selfish and lack any feelings for others. I fully recognize the Developer is in a business and some want to give a business a soul and it does not have a soul but that does not sanction abusing those in need. When I see some giving deity to the Developer rather than holding him/her responsible for his/her actions it makes me want to withdraw from any association with these selfish people. There is a practice in pricing that if a particular product or service does not have a competitor then the only thing that should measure your price is GREED. We are all living in a community where in many cases there are no competitors and so "GREED is the word of the day. This comes in many forms. It is through the price, it is through reducing the qualities, it is avoiding responsibility for sale/practices, again you name the rest. I read some posts where the author is in support of the Developer regardless of his/her practices or actions.This is a disguise to abuses and is as much of a harm as the person who is the offender. Not holding the offenders responsible is like being an enabler to an addict.
It has been my experience that many people who are financially successful, also are still careful with their money.

Whether a person is financially comfortable or not, in my opinion, has nothing to do with whether they "care" or not about others. Being selfish and unkind has no connection to a person's bank account.

You are correct that there is no competition for the kind of success for the kind of thing called The Villages, but no one can force anyone to decide to buy here or live here. There are all kinds of opportunities to live in a lot of places in Florida.

I have not seen anyone making the Morses God, but I do see a lot of people recognizing that they have done a very good job as a private company planning and developing and maintaining a place that has turned everyone's heads and is the fastest growing place of it's kind in this country and possibly the world.

I cannot see that there has been any offense by The Morses that they need to be held responsible for.

I too read some posts that no matter what, the poster is looking to blame the developer. That isn't right either.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Chellybean, I just want to correct one thing that you've mentioned a couple of times that I've noticed: the right to face your accuser. That only applies to court cases. It doesn't apply to private communities and deed violations. But even if it did - your "accuser" would be Community Standards. The ONLY time they will contact you to inform you that you are not compliant with your deed restrictions, is if THEY have seen it for themselves and confronted you directly.

Jimbob from next door can send anonymous notes to CS 5 times a day, 7 days a week, for a year about how you have a statue of Jesus wearing a tye-dye t-shirt and smoking a plaster of paris joint with LED red light on the end that blinks on and off and blows real smoke on your front lawn, but it won't matter, UNLESS you actually have one of those things and Community Standards sees it after investigating the complaint.

That reminds me - I need to check my red LED light bulb and make sure it still works. Hm.
You made me laugh out loud! Thank you for that as well as your in-sights, which are quite true!!
Closed Thread

Tags
tax, sumter, appraiser, county, trim

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.