Is the art of fact checking obsolete now???

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2021, 10:23 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

All too many people don't even bother using the more reliable and legitimate news sources anymore and eat up/latch on to anything they see that is confirmation bias - instead of facts and a balanced viewpoint.

Which News Sources Are the Most Objective? - The Factual | Blog
Old 09-20-2021, 04:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,238 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartle1 View Post
Really!, it's amazing the knowledge you can gather thru Google. Talked to an acquaintance the other day, who said, she NEVER uses Google, really! Pick your fact checking sources before posting, and you will be amazed at how much you will learn and how much you've gotten wrong.
If you trust google …….remember you only find what they want you to find
Try DuckDuckGo for fact checking
Old 09-20-2021, 05:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
The only facts that some believe are the ones that match the set of beliefs they already believe. “Only a wise person has the ability to change their mind.” Anonymous
So true……
Old 09-20-2021, 05:31 AM
Default Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
I find it amazing that Google feeds you the news that they deem appropriate.
Sort of like the Daily Sun
Old 09-20-2021, 06:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
All too many people don't even bother using the more reliable and legitimate news sources anymore and eat up/latch on to anything they see that is confirmation bias - instead of facts and a balanced viewpoint.

Thank you for listing the attachment to your post. Very interesting and rather surprising. Happily for me, I get my news from two sources listed.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-20-2021, 06:26 AM

I don't think anyone's obligated to provide any sources. People can say what they want and you can take it or leave it. You want to challenge it you go find the sources.

This isn't a college thesis class it's social media.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:33 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Depends on who is running your fact check site. Every morning when my computer comes on I get Yahoo news. Soooo bad.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz View Post
If you trust google …….remember you only find what they want you to find
Try DuckDuckGo for fact checking
Or Qwant.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:41 AM
Veteran member

Actually I believe Bing pays Google to use their search. But I think you should Google that to make sure I'm correct. And I'm not trying to be funny here
Old 09-20-2021, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

The stories you read on the bottom of the initial page of Google or Yahoo or based on your previous reading and clicking of stories as well as your search patterns. However your actual search results are based on algorithms that are changed every three to four months and millions and millions are spent on by Google and Yahoo engineers. I can tell you there are over a hundred different areas that they base their engineering on to give you the results that they think you were going to want. Mostly it's relevancy and that is usually quantitatively figured on please reasons and I'm giving you just the top several:
Ranking of popularity of the site based on how many people have clicked on that site

Keyword analysis , in other words how many times the words in your search appear in the website

Backlinks, these are the links from other sites that if you click would go to your site that Google shows you.

How many videos and images with what are called internal tags with the keywords you have typed it as a search engine, in other words every time there's an image and a website the designer puts in a tag that you cannot see but that Google sees.

By the way as a gentleman above said 90% of the people only click the first page of Google searches that's your missing thousands of other possibly relevant sites that might actually be better for you to read. Out of the top 100 or 200 sites Wikipedia which used to be accurate pops up quite a lot and there are quite a few image sites p*** sites and news organizations because I constantly turn content out hundreds of pages on websites every single day . This is all called SEO or search engine optimization and if you're really good at it you can make a lot of money helping websites get to the top of the page which is nearly impossible for small local companies. I do videos and article writing for some websites now in my retirement which is fun so this is why I know all about this, I am by far no true expert but know just enough to be dangerous
Old 09-20-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartle1 View Post
Really!, it's amazing the knowledge you can gather thru Google. Talked to an acquaintance the other day, who said, she NEVER uses Google, really! Pick your fact checking sources before posting, and you will be amazed at how much you will learn and how much you've gotten wrong.
then what does 'she' use to gather her "correct' information?
Old 09-20-2021, 06:55 AM
Default Reliable and Legitimate News Sources .... Wow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post

Rating NPR as being highly factual proves to me that "The Factual" site isn't factual at all. NPR constantly yells out half-truths or no-truths. NPR is strongly biased to the left.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:13 AM
Default Bias of BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
You should take a look at The Guardian (a bit lefty, but they try to be fair) and BBC. Neither have paywalls yet.
In defense of paywall, these news sites do have to pay their bills. The supported free viewing for a long time but I fully understand why they stopped. Used to pay for a newspaper, now pay to see decent, vetted news online.
I'm not familiar with The Guardian. Took a brief look at their website but couldn't tell much about their biases from that. The BBC is NPR's go-to news source and NPR is heavily biased to the left despite their claim of being "fair and balanced".
Old 09-20-2021, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
I find it amazing that Google feeds you the news that they deem appropriate.
I stopped using Google quite awhile ago, unless it's just to search for a shopping item or something. If you wish to know what's going on in the world, you need to use a "less managed" search engine. Duckduckgo is better and I also use Dogpile. Dogpile draws from other search engines including Google, but you will see links you will not get from Google alone.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:43 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljl62040 View Post
Rating NPR as being highly factual proves to me that "The Factual" site isn't factual at all. NPR constantly yells out half-truths or no-truths. NPR is strongly biased to the left.
Just because a person doesn't like the 'facts' being presented, doesn't lessen the truth - that they are facts. And unlike so many other sources, NPR is quick to apologize and/or correct anything they subsequently find was incorrect. If only more sources had their integrity and ethics.
Closed Thread

Tags
fact, checking, google, pick, sources

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.