Is the art of fact checking obsolete now???

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2021, 07:43 AM

Thanks! Good point, because I see/read comments made by Villagers, who are parroting what the heard on the Noise/propaganda cable networks without fact checking what they are parroting.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Gateway Pundit is an alt-right extremist conspiracy website that is known to publish complete fiction, and pass it off as news. Sort of like if the Onion wasn't kidding.
Sounds like CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, NPR and all the other main stream media. I'll throw in FOX also even if I'm a conservative, they sensationalize a lot of their content. None of them are to be trusted to tell the unbiased story, it is up to the listener to use their brain to figure out the truth.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:00 AM
Default You really don't know how a Search Engine works do you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
I find it amazing that Google feeds you the news that they deem appropriate.
...You really don't know how a Search Engine works do you...

Anything that contradicts ones narrative is
"..feeding you the news that they deem appropriate.."

Not withstanding the FACTS...
Amazing....
Old 09-20-2021, 08:08 AM
Default Not quite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
So true, both the opinion and the quote.

I ask myself everyday, what if "they" are correct. Sadly for the most part THEY are not. But, sometimes THEY are, and I have some soul searching to do...
Your demographic profile is used to tailor Ads to you...
The search results are not..
Try this; put the same search into Google, Bing, Duck Duck, Wofrem, etc The results will be extremely similar, and often identical.
Everybody, all together now.....GO..
Old 09-20-2021, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

So it basically appears to me that "we" all believe what we want to believe to be factual according to our political leaning.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-20-2021, 08:27 AM

After reading, and watching most networks, I will then fact check Snopes and others, and then, only then, draw my own conclusions. I'm a stickler on the TRUTH, which is NOT trending (must be the fear instilled in me as a child and that giant bar of soap that found its way to my mouth on a few occasions, ugh!) Lesson learned early.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:28 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
So it basically appears to me that "we" all believe what we want to believe to be factual according to our political leaning.
Self-explanatory.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Research.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	90874  
Old 09-20-2021, 08:29 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Shadowland

If you would like an in-depth look at how our country is under the influence of conspiracy theories/propaganda, google the following words: The Atlantic Shadowland.

That will take you to the Shadowland series of articles that you might find interesting. (Eventually, they will require a subscription, but you might be able to choose a couple of articles to read before it cuts you off. Or if a title of an article gets your attention, you might be able to find it elsewhere under its title. Or a library might have a subscription.)

Boomer
Old 09-20-2021, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Some of us were trained by really ethical journalists.* (Our granddaughter is a really ethical journalist.)

Although I sometimes do not agree with the opinions voiced, I respect facts from the New York Times, The Washington Post, and The AP Wire.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:49 AM

Using the words Google and media in the same sentence is the first problem. As others have pointed out, Google is a for-profit amalgamator of information. Social media in general is not news, but an “echo chamber” designed to feed us what we want to see, so we continue to click, feeding them. News organizations tend to have some amount of bias as well, though when I got my degree in Journalism, we learned that a professional news organization should have a dedication to truth telling as a core principle. Well, that was a long time ago.

Especially in an age where anyone with a keyboard can call themselves “news,” how do you judge your news source? I have found this bias checking source that at least gives you a scale to judge your news source vs. others. I highly recommend you see where your favorite source is on a chart like this one. Ad Fontes Media – Home of the Media Bias Chart
Old 09-20-2021, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,272 Times in 4,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Just because a person doesn't like the 'facts' being presented, doesn't lessen the truth - that they are facts. And unlike so many other sources, NPR is quick to apologize and/or correct anything they subsequently find was incorrect. If only more sources had their integrity and ethics.
Problem is, too many are too quick to post the incorrect info and the "correction" is subsequently buried or ignored...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-20-2021, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,272 Times in 4,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Some of us were trained by really ethical journalists.* (Our granddaughter is a really ethical journalist.)

Although I sometimes do not agree with the opinions voiced, I respect facts from the New York Times, The Washington Post, and The AP Wire.
Well, the NYT's own ombudsman quit because his own newspaper was becoming too biased and no one would listen to him about it...

And the WaPo had to settle a lawsuit because of false information the continued to post about Nick Sandman...

And AP? They published a headline: "Palestinian Killed in Clash with Israelis"...

What happened? A palestinian terrorist drove his car into a busy bus stop, go out and started slashing people with a large machete like knife. A security guard at a nearby jewelry store rushed to the scene and dispatched the terrorist...

But the "respected" AP chose to flip the narrative...

So there's that...

-Tom Petty

Last edited by JMintzer; 09-20-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Just because a person doesn't like the 'facts' being presented, doesn't lessen the truth - that they are facts. And unlike so many other sources, NPR is quick to apologize and/or correct anything they subsequently find was incorrect. If only more sources had their integrity and ethics.
LOL 😆, the joke of the day.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljl62040 View Post
Rating NPR as being highly factual proves to me that "The Factual" site isn't factual at all. NPR constantly yells out half-truths or no-truths. NPR is strongly biased to the left.
It looks like you must have quit reading the linked article way too soon. NPR is actually 23rd on the list, with an "Average Factual Grade" of 67.2%. Showing a little bias of your own maybe?
Old 09-20-2021, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

I rarely watch the news, except for some local stuff, and especially for the weather, but they always lie ;-) I never watch the cable Pundit shows. I do a lot of research, on-line, throwing out the far right and far left.

If I want to look up, say, "What is Treason," I wouldn't ask a question, I'd be more specific, something like, "Supreme Court decisions on treason," or "Treason cases in the US." From there you can get more info on the subject. It's more tedious, but also more informing.

Tags
fact, checking, google, pick, sources

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.