Is the art of fact checking obsolete now???

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2021, 03:26 PM

Google censors the info they give. DuckDuck Go is a much better option that doesn't censor.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=OrangeBlossomBaby;2007244]I'm on Facebook throughout the day. I see only the content I want to see,

That may very well be a problem.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm on Facebook throughout the day. I see only the content I want to see, I see no political ads, no sponsored ads of any kind, no sponsored videos of any kind, political or otherwise. I'm offered a list of videos that I -can- watch if I want, based on what I've actively searched for. Nothing is ever offered to me that wasn't already on my "interests" lists in the first place.

But I use FBP (Fluff-Busting Purity), it's an independent extension for Facebook that filters out ads, gives you MUCH more control over content, your friends lists, tells you when someone removes you from their friends list, lets you watch videos ad-free, etc. etc.
Me too. I don't see political ads and rarely any sponsored ads or videos. (I immediately delete them if they come up) My interest list is also the guide to what I see. I don't have any filters, but this one sounds interesting. Does it cost much?
Old 09-21-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
67.2% is a "D"... Pretty poor, if you ask me...
Well, it's definitely not great & lower than I'd have guessed, but I haven't listened to NPR since I quit driving to work. Being 23rd of 53 on that list is probably better than a "D" though, especially when you consider that many people get their info from sources that didn't even make the list.

Check out all the other 'sources' that come in lower than 67% "Factual".

Which News Sources Are the Most Objective? - The Factual | Blog
Old 09-21-2021, 09:46 AM
Platinum member

Hate to say this but Google and/or other search engines cause and/or contrubute towards poor/erroneous information.

All of us need to consider the source of the information. I can not tell how many time an acquaintence of mine who sells cosmetics, sends out all kinds of disparaging medical information via Facebook. Unfortunately some people accept her informaion with out looking at the most reliable sources of info.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

These days, you have to work at overcoming individual biases and your confirmation bias to distinguish between event reporting, mostly factual, and analysis reporting, mostly opinion with a heavy dose of source bias. . .

lawyer training is the best, because you have to present both sides of the same set of facts to a judge/jury which requires understanding the different viewpoints for the same set of facts. . . as there are always different viewpoints from the same set of facts because each individual is unique, therefore, truth or facts are a set of circumstances where a large proportion of the observers can agree. . .

because we are all unique humans with biases and opinions and beliefs unique to the individual . .

now get off the internet and get moving as that will keep you alive longer than sitting. . .
Closed Thread

Tags
fact, checking, google, pick, sources

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.