Article on fees

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Default Article on fees

I have recently become interested in TV for my retirement. The Palm Beach Post ran an article about TV and in it mentioned homeowner's association fees and CDD assessments that run about $12,000 per year. Seems rather high. Do you all pay that equally and what does this cover?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Article on fees

Finding it harder every day to believe what appears in the papers. Recent report said average annual income of Village residents is $85K. Recent US News Article about the best places to retire had no mention of TV. yet there are now 60 thousand plus residents here. The majority wouldn't think of living anywhere else

Fees vary all over TV. You might want to examine some of the earlier posts to get picture of what the real costs are.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:18 PM

Thanks for your reply. I will do that.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

Sounds like a typo to me. Slightly more than $1200 and not $12,000.
Water, trash and sewers and miscellaneous are reasonable.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:51 PM

Interesting that you should ask. I just wrote a check for my current amenities/water/sewer/trash/amenity charge. I live in an established neighborhood. Been here for 6 years. I believe that you can figure on much higher fees in the newer neighborhoods. Here is the breakdown. I hardly used my water since we have had so much rain lately. My water charge was 19.58 (remember, I used much less water last month than usual). My sever usage fee was 28.75. (What comes in goes out too) My trash charge for the month was 15.45. (two regular pickups and one pickup for garden and tree waste which the regular pickups will refuse to pickup). My amenity fee was 117.63. (Remember, this is an established neighborhood north of route 466 which we call newcomer land) So, I had to caugh up 181.41 to keep the Villages happy; keep my water management people happy; and keep the trash guys coming around. I would imagine that anyone buying at this date would be paying a much higher monthly bill than I am. Does this help you? Hope so. Remember, this is a MONTHLY bill. It has nothing to do with your bug control contract, your air conditioning and heating contract, or your gas company contract. Nor your phone bills or your golf priority contract, nor your golf cart path usage fees, nor your golf fees on the championship courses, nor your landscaper fees for cutting your grass, etc, etc, etc.
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 10-13-2007, 03:33 AM
Send a message via AIM to FireOnWindCSR

This is my previous post:

I'm sure death and taxes are a sensitive subject anywhere. I purchased my Chula Vista home 7/2006. I got my tax bill about 30 days ago and it has gone up over 150%. I realize that there are an incredible amount of Florida tax laws that I need to become familiar with now. Public tax records on the street I live overwhelmingly reflect 3/4 of my neighbors with $1300 or less bills. I don't understand the extreme disparity which seems to be prevelant throughout "all of The Villages". Can someone shed some property tax light for me? I'm just trying to understand how neighbors on either side of me, with "like" homes are being assessed thousands of dollars less than me. Is this about appeals? Is this about scrutiny of appraissers, tax assessors? Help !!! Thanks, Chaz

What I know now is the TAX MAN is looking at the dollar amount I bought in at, then there is the HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION, and THE SAVE OUR HOMES loop-dy... All I can say is understand the tax laws the best you can. Outside of the Villages ( within miles ) the taxes are MUCH MUCH LOWER. :joke:
Old 10-13-2007, 10:41 AM

Just wondering how you can say the taxes are MUCH LOWER outside of TV. The millage rate is the same county wide, whether in TV or not. There are no additional taxes assessed on TV residents, unless you are including your bond assessment.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:32 AM
Send a message via AIM to FireOnWindCSR

NoleGuy, one only need to look at public tax records to see the disparity. I'm sure the tax assessors office could download records into an excel file for us which are representative of a few square miles within and immediately outside of The Villages and we could do a "study". I have a friend who lives not to far away and their house was assessed at $350,000. Their taxes are just over $2,000. What would you say the taxes would be on a home in TV for $350,000 ?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:00 AM

Aren't the taxes based on what you paid for the property. So if the house was assessed for $350,000 but was originally purchased for $175,000--wouldn't the taxes be based on the $175,00. If that is the case then someone who purchased at a later date for $350,000 would pay based on the $350,000. This is the way it works in CA. Does anyone know if this is the case in TV? :dontknow:
Old 10-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Sage

I assume that if you are talking about property taxes (exclusive of TV bond) then the rates are the same county (not state) wide. It should be accessed value - homestead exemption X rate.

Yes?

I don't live there but that's the way it works in most places.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:26 PM

You must be sure you are comparing apples with apples and not oranges....the millage rate is the same countywide, makes no difference which part of the county you live in. The 3% cap on annual assessments until the home is sold again will cause discrepencies like you refer to. So you can't just compare property to property without knowing the circumstances. Bottom line is, the millage rate is the same no matter where you live in the county but in the villages some homes will have a bond to pay off, which shows up on their tax bill.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:10 AM

I have a friend who lives in DelWebb, Spruce Creek. Same county as mine, Marion Cty. In comparing tax bills, his house is assessed $25,000 more than mine and I am paying $400 more per year in CDD assessment maintenance which they do not have outside of the Villages. I don't know if the county sends this money back to our District. I assume each District within the Villages has this assessment.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.