Asking for comments on areas south of 44 for to-be-new Villagers

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2021, 06:36 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Too remote for me at this time. I prefer the Sumter Landing area. Close to everything important to me, especially golf.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:44 AM

WE love Marsh bend
Old 04-27-2021, 06:46 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 424 Posts

If you happen to be sensitive to noise, be mindful of a prospective new home's proximity to the turnpike. And...do your due diligence and visit the area at night. When there are no competing sounds in the area, it is amazing just how noisy turnpike traffic can be. Some of those new areas currently under construction are VERY close to the turnpike.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:52 AM

We just bought in St Catherine after renting in a few places over 5 years. We've rented in St James, Caroline and most recently in Fenney. While we liked the areas north of 44, south is what we decided suited us best. We like new construction, "younger clientele", many walking/biking trails as well as new development such as Saw Grass Grove. Each area offers its own pros/cons and is up to you to decide which area offers the most pros for you. Good luck with your search!
Old 04-27-2021, 07:10 AM
Veteran member
Default areas south

finally someone mentioned the turnpike noise. also be aware of flood zones where you may need flood insurance, blasting from the quary and loud speakers from the prison
Old 04-27-2021, 07:22 AM

The houses are beautiful down there but watch out for the bond prices. It adds an additional $25,000 in cost on top of the house, that they conveniently “forget” to tell you. They roll it into the cost of the mortgage so you are not only paying the cost of the interest on the bond but also the cost of the interest on the mortgage bring the interest to almost 10%
Old 04-27-2021, 07:38 AM

We've lived in our home in Monarch Grove for a year now and absolutely LOVE it!!! It takes us literally mins by cart to get up to Magnolia Plaza and all the executive courses are within a few mins cart driving time. We actually use our cart more than our car now!!! Our friends looked for a home in several areas near us, including Hawkins and St. Catherine, but there's currently only one way in/out of Hawkins and if you're in the homes closest to Warm Springs and the church, you'll have quite a hike in/out of that village to get to those homes. They didn't care for the layout at all. Plus, for the foreseeable future, you won't have easy access past the turnpike to Magnolia Plaza or the golf courses by cart unless you go all the way down to Water Lily bridge and back up. Our friends ended up buying a home in Monarch Grove, but for my money, I'd buy something in the areas west of the turnpike as there's no telling how long it'll be before they get the Bexley bridge done. Just my opinion.......
Old 04-27-2021, 07:42 AM

You just covered everything you can do south of brownwood. You are considered isolated. Developer has changed model.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebooo View Post
1.You just covered everything you can do south of brownwood. 2. You are considered isolated. 3. Developer has changed model.
1. And, in addition, everything north of Brownwood is available.
2. Considered by whom? Not those who live here.
3. Yes. Changed to a better model. More colors. More green space. Etc.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:30 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshepard03 View Post
We plan to be Villagers in the next 4 months and just finished our third lifestyle visit: were on a mission to pick a neighborhood. We were focused on the areas around south Lake Sumter/north Brownwood...but we surprisingly very much liked the new areas. Pitched and Putted in Marsh Bend, ALLOWED the people at Edna's to serve us and entertain us with music, Putted and Played in Fenney, enjoyed concerts at Lake Sumter Landing and Brownwood Paddock Square. Looked at houses in those areas as well as St. Catherine and Hawkins. Fell in love with the newer areas and were excited about infrastructure building there. Chitty Chatty seems still to be a little isolated for us. We greatly value convenience to shopping and activities.

Other than distance to town squares being a negative, we would appreciate any/all comments, pros or cons, on the new areas in the south of TVs.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
It’s called “Marsh” Bend because it was built on filled in swampland with potential settling issues in the future. At least one resident there has died of West Nile virus from the swarms of mosquitoes. There is also lots of noise. It’s not “new” once you move in either. So your used house will face competition from more desirable areas North of 44.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:30 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrsjms View Post
Just for clarification, I thought the Southern Oaks Championship Course is going to be 18 holes, not 27 holes as indicated in an earlier reply.
Yes, Southern Oaks Championship Golf Course is going to be an eighteen hole course and not twenty seven. It’s projected to open in the fall or winter of 2021.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:35 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Our cousin just did a lifestyle visit and bought in St Catherine’s. It is a beautiful house that they bought. They were looking in the same area as you but in the a new house won. To us the distance to the town squares is not a negative as it is more golf cart time and that is what it is all about for us. No matter where you end up it will be great. Good luck.
If we were younger and didn’t have such good neighbors, we would definitely consider moving into a new home south of 44. It has a lot of pluses. What the heck, might still do it!
Old 04-27-2021, 09:02 AM

Geez...who doesn’t like a good dog park? (Cats)
Old 04-27-2021, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
Geez...who doesn’t like a good dog park? (Cats)
I thought the dog park reference was a bit odd. We do not take our dog to them, for many reasons.

But, to stay on the OP’s topic, watch out for water treatment, sewer pump stations & debris dumps. There are definitely some within The Villages & they stink when the wind blows in your direction. Ask your realtor but definitely do your own due diligence.

Good luck in your search, enjoy the process & welcome!
Old 04-27-2021, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshepard03 View Post
We plan to be Villagers in the next 4 months and just finished our third lifestyle visit: were on a mission to pick a neighborhood. We were focused on the areas around south Lake Sumter/north Brownwood...but we surprisingly very much liked the new areas. Pitched and Putted in Marsh Bend, ALLOWED the people at Edna's to serve us and entertain us with music, Putted and Played in Fenney, enjoyed concerts at Lake Sumter Landing and Brownwood Paddock Square. Looked at houses in those areas as well as St. Catherine and Hawkins. Fell in love with the newer areas and were excited about infrastructure building there. Chitty Chatty seems still to be a little isolated for us. We greatly value convenience to shopping and activities.

Other than distance to town squares being a negative, we would appreciate any/all comments, pros or cons, on the new areas in the south of TVs.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Realize everything is a matter of opinion. Many, in my opinion, have a need to defend the choice they have made rather than admit others have perhaps made a better choice than they did.

We also did three of the life style visits. Since, you say we there are at least two of you.

I would suggest you write things down. What is important to you and what is important to the other or others in the at least two. Writing things out makes all of us think about what we are saying. You then assign each care a number order in order of importance.
In writing it does not change or get spun. See where you agree and disagree. Often it is a surprise.

My opinion, my personality it is far less expensive and less stressful to do it right the first time rather than doing it over and over and over again. The realtor told us the average villager moves three times. We have been here almost 9 years, in the same house and we are happy. What to I regret? Frankly, I miss the basement we used to have. In the villages, I don't think anyone has a basement and due to the soil, the rain etc a basement would be an indoor swimming pool that you would hope to stick the next buyer with.
Closed Thread

Tags
areas, south, putted, comments, villagers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.