Asking for comments on areas south of 44 for to-be-new Villagers

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2021, 08:29 AM
Default Asking for comments on areas south of 44 for to-be-new Villagers

We plan to be Villagers in the next 4 months and just finished our third lifestyle visit: were on a mission to pick a neighborhood. We were focused on the areas around south Lake Sumter/north Brownwood...but we surprisingly very much liked the new areas. Pitched and Putted in Marsh Bend, ALLOWED the people at Edna's to serve us and entertain us with music, Putted and Played in Fenney, enjoyed concerts at Lake Sumter Landing and Brownwood Paddock Square. Looked at houses in those areas as well as St. Catherine and Hawkins. Fell in love with the newer areas and were excited about infrastructure building there. Chitty Chatty seems still to be a little isolated for us. We greatly value convenience to shopping and activities.

Other than distance to town squares being a negative, we would appreciate any/all comments, pros or cons, on the new areas in the south of TVs.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:54 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

There has been so much on here regarding the pros and cons of living south of 44. We purchased in Fenney four years ago and have really enjoyed living down here, 30% of the homes sold south of 44 are to Villagers that were living north of 44 so that alone tells you something. I'm only speaking of Fenney as that's where I live. No. 1 is medical, we are very close to the new 24 hour UF Villages Emergency Room, less than 15 minutes to the UF Leesburg Hospital and Emergency Room, less than 10 minutes to The Villages Specialty Care Center and soon to open new Primary Care facility. Restaurants, we are less than 10 minutes away from at least 15 restaurants with more on the way. Entertainment, less than 10 minutes to Paddock Square, later this year the Sawgrass outdoor entertainment area is rumored to be open, probably just before the snowbirds come back. Exercise, there are miles and miles of bike and hike trails down here starting in Fenney and going just about everywhere south of 44, most if not all of the neighborhood rec. centers have outdoor exercise equipment that is well maintained. Dogs, we have two of the 6 dog parks that are in The Villages, I don't like dog parks but they're here if you want to use them. Golf, we have 5 executive courses plus the pitch and putt course and the new 27 hole championship courses are well under way. Atmosphere, this part of TV is very open with lots of green space and water. Amenities, we have all of the amenities known to the northern villages plus several that are not up there with the exception of horse shoes. The only thing we don't have would be box store shopping, you have to go up to Lady Lake for that but I'm sure it will be here in the near future.

Last edited by vintageogauge; 04-26-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Our cousin just did a lifestyle visit and bought in St Catherine’s. It is a beautiful house that they bought. They were looking in the same area as you but in the a new house won. To us the distance to the town squares is not a negative as it is more golf cart time and that is what it is all about for us. No matter where you end up it will be great. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

If you like an area, think about how difficult it will be to get out to a main road.

For example, turning left leaving Chitty Chatty looks very difficult to me.

As I drive down Marsh Bend Trail, I see lots of cars having to wait a long time trying to turn left. The traffic along that road will probably increase when the road is extended to route 301.

On the other hand, I think it will be easy to get out of Hawkins, St. Catherine, and the other new neighborhoods nearby. Just pull out onto Meggison and then take that road or Morse over to Warm Springs Road.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:46 AM

I did a LOT of on line research during lockdown and had the same conclusion as you. However, when I got here I concluded that the new areas is where I wanted to be. My biggest reason is I am in my fifties and I found that more people my age lived in St. Catherine and the nearby villages.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:04 AM
Gold member

We are on our 4th home, which means we are now in Marsh Bend. Love it! At first I was reluctant because we were used to convenience on the "other side". Now that we've been here a year and experienced it, we have no regrets. There are less homes and more greenspace; we have no one behind us because we chose a water view and walking trails galore. The wildlife is ever changing and entertaining. Publix is open, Sawgrass soon to come, the Water Lilly bridge allows easy access, 14 minutes to Brownwood from our home via golfcart. So, speaking from experience and not rumors or what I've heard.......it is beautiful and life is good down here! Here's the thing, give it a try.......and if it's not for you change it instead of being miserable.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,026 Times in 5,325 Posts

We rented before buying and decided we wanted to be closer to the shopping on 27/441.
Also closer to the three squares.
All areas have pros and cons and what works for others might not work for you.
People often move here and than move to another area of the villages.
Good luck on your decision.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:51 AM
Veteran member

Our area is best. That’s what you will hear.
We moved right next to Brownwood originally but after a couple years you will never go to squares. We didn’t believe it either but it happens. We moved to Marsh Bend and love it

Old 04-27-2021, 05:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierPa View Post
Our area is best. That’s what you will hear.
Yes, we all agree with that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierPa View Post
after a couple years you will never go to squares.
Yes, we agree. Didn't Yogi Berra say, "No one goes there because it is too crowded."
Old 04-27-2021, 05:43 AM
Veteran member

Yes south of 44 is the place to be, all the new stuff shops stores homes .
Old 04-27-2021, 06:08 AM
Default Areas South of 44...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshepard03 View Post
We plan to be Villagers in the next 4 months and just finished our third lifestyle visit: were on a mission to pick a neighborhood. We were focused on the areas around south Lake Sumter/north Brownwood...but we surprisingly very much liked the new areas. Pitched and Putted in Marsh Bend, ALLOWED the people at Edna's to serve us and entertain us with music, Putted and Played in Fenney, enjoyed concerts at Lake Sumter Landing and Brownwood Paddock Square. Looked at houses in those areas as well as St. Catherine and Hawkins. Fell in love with the newer areas and were excited about infrastructure building there. Chitty Chatty seems still to be a little isolated for us. We greatly value convenience to shopping and activities.

Other than distance to town squares being a negative, we would appreciate any/all comments, pros or cons, on the new areas in the south of TVs.

Our experience with "South of 44" is more about "new" rather than geography. New development is South of 44 and that means that each neighborhood is filled with brand new people looking to meet their new neighbors. It seems to us there's a natural inclusivity with being on a circle rather than a long road.

Many older areas, North of 44, have well established "activity groups" and it can be more difficult as a newcomer. Being near a square is not quite as important as there's live entertainment in many other locations throughout The Villages.

Over the next decade (or two) 44 will become the geographic "middle" of The Villages due to the substantial planned expansion further South. Sawgrass is a different approach to a "square" and it's going to be interesting to see how it's received.

We've been Villagers, South of 44, for just over a year and absolutely love it! The challenge for the developer's crystal ball - what will create the magic for the future generations coming to The Villages!
Old 04-27-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshepard03 View Post

No matter where in the villages you move to there is always a better house or better area thus the reason why most villagers move to another house.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
We are on our 4th home, which means we are now in Marsh Bend. Love it! At first I was reluctant because we were used to convenience on the "other side". Now that we've been here a year and experienced it, we have no regrets. There are less homes and more greenspace; we have no one behind us because we chose a water view and walking trails galore. The wildlife is ever changing and entertaining. Publix is open, Sawgrass soon to come, the Water Lilly bridge allows easy access, 14 minutes to Brownwood from our home via golfcart. So, speaking from experience and not rumors or what I've heard.......it is beautiful and life is good down here! Here's the thing, give it a try.......and if it's not for you change it instead of being miserable.
Wow Debfrommaine, it sounds like you think the "other side" is the pit of hell! If that's the case, what do you think of the section of The Villages, yes they are part of us, across 441 and Spanish Springs? We love the fact that where we live on "the other side" has beautiful mature live oaks across the street providing much needed shade in the summer. Every Village has it's pros and cons so we should just all be happy that we live in Florida!! The worst comment to this thread is the one about not liking dog parks, GEEZE!!!!!
Old 04-27-2021, 06:33 AM

We moved to Marsh Bend after living in the northern part of the Villages. Great house, great neighbors, great facilities, and now the shopping center is very convenient. We found many/most of our neighbors were newly retired which sounds like what you are looking for. Marsh Bend is a lovely area.
If you look and look and cannot decide, renting first is always a good idea. The Villages is so huge, and still growing, there is a lot to choose from. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:33 AM

Just for clarification, I thought the Southern Oaks Championship Course is going to be 18 holes, not 27 holes as indicated in an earlier reply.
Closed Thread

Tags
areas, south, putted, comments, villagers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.