Asking for comments on areas south of 44 for to-be-new Villagers

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2021, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsenholzi View Post
The houses are beautiful down there but watch out for the bond prices. It adds an additional $25,000 in cost on top of the house, that they conveniently “forget” to tell you. They roll it into the cost of the mortgage so you are not only paying the cost of the interest on the bond but also the cost of the interest on the mortgage bring the interest to almost 10%
I'm no math wiz. We recently paid off our bond. At the time we bought, eight years ago,
the amount of the bond was far less than it is now and the interest rate was 5%.
When, we paid it off we were told the rate would be renegotiated in two years. That was roughly a year ago. Due to current interest rates going down, I assumed. perhaps incorrectly that it would go down from the 5% we were paying. I've seen people posting it is now 7%-that is not confirmed by me.

Check what you are saying. While you send one check for the bond with your mortgage they are not additive 7% interest on the bond plus 3% on the mortgage. It is paying two loans with one check. One loan is 7% the other 3%. Even the terms are different.
You can decide to pay more into your mortgage and pay off a 30 year mortgage in whatever you choose say 15 years 10 or 28 years. By law there is no penalty. The bond on the other hand you do not have that option. You need to pay it off in full.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:26 AM

Hello and good luck on your home purchase.
Generally speaking, a vast majority of the new homes are located in the Southern Sections and the demographics of the Southern section vs those living north of CR 44 are the age of the residents.

A draw-back of living in the Southern Section is that you will need a car for many of your travels throughout The Villages. Although there is full golf cart connectivity in The Villages, you will need a car, especially to travel anything north of CR 466A. Traveling to any point north of 466A from the Southern Sections is not practical.

Good Luck and welcome to The Villages.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:27 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe Girl View Post
Wow Debfrommaine, it sounds like you think the "other side" is the pit of hell! If that's the case, what do you think of the section of The Villages, yes they are part of us, across 441 and Spanish Springs? We love the fact that where we live on "the other side" has beautiful mature live oaks across the street providing much needed shade in the summer. Every Village has it's pros and cons so we should just all be happy that we live in Florida!! The worst comment to this thread is the one about not liking dog parks, GEEZE!!!!!
I don't like dog parks and many others feel the same way if even 30% of the residents liked and used dog parks they would be way over crowded with dogs and people. Now back to the original topic.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:06 PM

We have lived in DeSoto over two years and are happy with our decision. Here are what I see as the pros and cons south of 44:
Pros:
1. Newer homes and less to update
2. Lots of walking / biking paths that don’t have golf carts on them.
3. Typically easier to make friends when everyone is “new”.
4. Lots of green areas.
5. Good choice for Executive golf courses.
6. Lots of new types of things like the Pitch and Putt, Ednas, and Sawgrass Market.

Cons:
1. Noise. If you are sensitive to noise south of 44 may not be for you. There is definitely turnpike noise in the background. Also, in DeSoto the cement plant on 470 can be quite noticeable in the mornings.
2. Lack of championship golf. If you want to be within a 30 minutes cart ride of 6 or more championship courses you need to be north of 44. While the first 18 hole course will be ready probably by the fall, the other two planned courses (18 and 27 hole courses) have not broken ground and are several years away.
3. Lack of big box stores. It will probably be 5 to 10 years before there is sufficient population south of 44 to support the big box stores. That means a trip north will be required. If you need to be close to these stores move north of 44.
4. Living in a construction area. This can get tiring with all the dirt flying and fires being set to clear land.
5. Lack of restaurants
6. High bond amounts

It really depends on what you value and want. You have to decide your own priority.

Last edited by Dond1959; 04-27-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaran View Post
finally someone mentioned the turnpike noise. also be aware of flood zones where you may need flood insurance, blasting from the quary and loud speakers from the prison
Any other supposed negative things you forgot ?
Most of what you said has been debunked by those actually living there.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:53 PM
Default Golf comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshepard03 View Post
We plan to be Villagers in the next 4 months and just finished our third lifestyle visit: were on a mission to pick a neighborhood. We were focused on the areas around south Lake Sumter/north Brownwood...but we surprisingly very much liked the new areas. Pitched and Putted in Marsh Bend, ALLOWED the people at Edna's to serve us and entertain us with music, Putted and Played in Fenney, enjoyed concerts at Lake Sumter Landing and Brownwood Paddock Square. Looked at houses in those areas as well as St. Catherine and Hawkins. Fell in love with the newer areas and were excited about infrastructure building there. Chitty Chatty seems still to be a little isolated for us. We greatly value convenience to shopping and activities.

Other than distance to town squares being a negative, we would appreciate any/all comments, pros or cons, on the new areas in the south of TVs.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
If a variety of championship golf is important to you, better stay north of 44. If exec or pitch and put is fine south is ok and I have been surprised has some new paths and wrinkles that are nice.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond1959 View Post
We have lived in DeSoto over two years and are happy with our decision. Here are what I see as the pros and cons south of 44:
Pros:
4. Lots of green areas.
6. Lots of new types of things like the Pitch and Putt, Ednas, and Sawgrass Market.

Cons:
1. Noise. If you are sensitive to noise south of 44 may not be for you. There is definitely turnpike noise in the background. Also, in DeSoto the cement plant on 470 can be quite noticeable in the mornings.
2. Lack of championship golf. If you want to be within a 30 minutes cart ride of 6 or more championship courses you need to be north of 44. While the first 18 hole course will be ready probably by the fall, the other two planned courses (18 and 27 hole courses) have not broken ground and are several years away.
3. Lack of big box stores. It will probably be 5 to 10 years before there is sufficient population south of 44 to support the big box stores. That means a trip north will be required. If you need to be close to these stores move north of 44.
4. Living in a construction area. This can get tiring with all the dirt flying and fires being set to clear land.
5. Lack of restaurants
6. High bond amounts

It really depends on what you value and want. You have to decide your own priority.
This pretty accurate. The only change that I would make is replacing "lack of" with "farther distance from".
Old 04-27-2021, 01:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
finally someone mentioned the turnpike noise. also be aware of flood zones where you may need flood insurance, blasting from the quary and loud speakers from the prison
"Finally" ????

As in "Finally I can jump in there with some negative comments about an area that I don't live in." ????
Old 04-27-2021, 02:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
You speak like you know all of the southern villages. Turnpike noise is not heard all through the southern villages, as far as I know not any flooding down here like there is in the northern villages, remember Irma and how the tunnels up there were flooded, etc. not down here. I have lived here for 4 years and have never heard a loud speaker from the prison, the quarry blasts are once every 6 weeks or so and last a maximum of 2 seconds, most people down here have never felt one. The nearest railroad tracks are on the western side of 301 unlike the northern villages. It's very peaceful south of 44 and most of those that bought homes on the east side near the turnpike knew it was there before they purchased their homes. I'm a very light sleeper and like peace and quiet, if there were the kind of noises you talk about near my home I would have moved long ago.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond1959 View Post
Pros:
4. Lots of green areas.

Cons:
5. Lack of restaurants
6. High bond amounts

Best post yet.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:12 PM

I truly feel its a personal preference. I bought in the villages 9 years ago a new unit in Gilcrest. Since we rent that, last March we decided to purchase another home by lake Miona ,that we will live in when we retire next year. When we saw there was NO BOND, we jumped on it. I also wanted a particular style house for the past 9 years, and they don't make them anymore. There are many positive things about the new areas, such as walking and biking trails, newer recreation facilities , and yes, newer people. The downside for me was I like more mature areas, Love being near sumpter Landing and Spanish Springs area, Love driving my cart on Buena Vista, Love being by the theatres, and entertainment venues and all the shopping. As far as new people, the village I bought in is a bit secluded, and besides my husband and I, 3 new people moved into the area around the same time as us. It's a very tight knit area and they do a lot of things together. I guess also where you buy south of the turnpike makes a difference also. I have heard people complain that they hear the blasting from the stone quarry, or the speakers from the prison. The best thing to do is go to the areas that appeal to you and ask the people who live there and I bet you they will all tell you that they love their area. Soooo- personal preference.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Take a ride on Buena Vista from 466 to Brownwood. Enjoy the vistas and the open spaces. That is a benchmark for comparison.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
There has been so much on here regarding the pros and cons of living south of 44. We purchased in Fenney four years ago and have really enjoyed living down here, 30% of the homes sold south of 44 are to Villagers that were living north of 44 so that alone tells you something. I'm only speaking of Fenney as that's where I live. No. 1 is medical, we are very close to the new 24 hour UF Villages Emergency Room, less than 15 minutes to the UF Leesburg Hospital and Emergency Room, less than 10 minutes to The Villages Specialty Care Center and soon to open new Primary Care facility. Restaurants, we are less than 10 minutes away from at least 15 restaurants with more on the way. Entertainment, less than 10 minutes to Paddock Square, later this year the Sawgrass outdoor entertainment area is rumored to be open, probably just before the snowbirds come back. Exercise, there are miles and miles of bike and hike trails down here starting in Fenney and going just about everywhere south of 44, most if not all of the neighborhood rec. centers have outdoor exercise equipment that is well maintained. Dogs, we have two of the 6 dog parks that are in The Villages, I don't like dog parks but they're here if you want to use them. Golf, we have 5 executive courses plus the pitch and putt course and the new 27 hole championship courses are well under way. Atmosphere, this part of TV is very open with lots of green space and water. Amenities, we have all of the amenities known to the northern villages plus several that are not up there with the exception of horse shoes. The only thing we don't have would be box store shopping, you have to go up to Lady Lake for that but I'm sure it will be here in the near future.
According to Todays newspaper (4/27/21) and previous newspaper articles there will be an 18-Hole Championship course (NOT 27-Hole ) . Many keep posting there is to be a 27-Hole course adjacent to the Villages of Cason Hammock and Citrus Grove.

Each nine will be called Live Oak 9 and Laurel Oak 9 respectively.

If anyone has other FACTUAL Info to the contrary , please publish where documentation as to the source...............
Old 04-27-2021, 06:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynsol View Post
According to Todays newspaper (4/27/21) and previous newspaper articles there will be an 18-Hole Championship course (NOT 27-Hole ) . Many keep posting there is to be a 27-Hole course adjacent to the Villages of Cason Hammock and Citrus Grove.

Each nine will be called Live Oak 9 and Laurel Oak 9 respectively.

If anyone has other FACTUAL Info to the contrary , please publish where documentation as to the source...............
I think there is another area below Monarch Grove that is getting 27 holes. Maybe Goldwing Nut will chime in on it.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwne View Post
Our experience with "South of 44" is more about "new" rather than geography. New development is South of 44 and that means that each neighborhood is filled with brand new people looking to meet their new neighbors. It seems to us there's a natural inclusivity with being on a circle rather than a long road.

Many older areas, North of 44, have well established "activity groups" and it can be more difficult as a newcomer. Being near a square is not quite as important as there's live entertainment in many other locations throughout The Villages.

Over the next decade (or two) 44 will become the geographic "middle" of The Villages due to the substantial planned expansion further South. Sawgrass is a different approach to a "square" and it's going to be interesting to see how it's received.

We've been Villagers, South of 44, for just over a year and absolutely love it! The challenge for the developer's crystal ball - what will create the magic for the future generations coming to The Villages!
At the rate this place is expanding 44 will be considered in the northern part of the villages within 20 years.

As I told my brother in law who just retired wait 20 years and you can leave your house and say hi to Mickey.
Closed Thread

Tags
areas, south, putted, comments, villagers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.