Attic Flooring

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Default Attic Flooring

We have a small area above our garage that has plywood flooring that was installed by the builder when our house was new. We plan to hire a handyman to add some additional plywood flooring. What are the considerations/limitations of this? What about air circulation (without adding a fan)? We would appreciate any advice.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

How does the air circulation portion of your question relate to the flooring question? Are they two questions?
Old 12-03-2017, 07:05 PM
Default Air Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
How does the air circulation portion of your question relate to the flooring question? Are they two questions?
Not two questions. I asked that because someone told us that we would need to leave "space" between the plywood sections in order to allow air to circulate. Our plan is to merely extend the plywood to under the eaves out from the current floor to allow us to store things under the eaves as well. We haven't planned to go all the way to the side walls and are going to leave a bit of space next to the walls. So that's why I asked about the air circulation needs.
Also, if anyone knows of a good handyman who could do this simple job, please let us know via a post or pm.
Thanks.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,999 Times in 2,198 Posts

Probably not a good idea to go all the way to the eves. The attics get HOT in the summer and you want as much air circulation as you can get. We added forced air circulation to control the temperature.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optv13sp View Post
Not two questions. I asked that because someone told us that we would need to leave "space" between the plywood sections in order to allow air to circulate. Our plan is to merely extend the plywood to under the eaves out from the current floor to allow us to store things under the eaves as well. We haven't planned to go all the way to the side walls and are going to leave a bit of space next to the walls. So that's why I asked about the air circulation needs.
Also, if anyone knows of a good handyman who could do this simple job, please let us know via a post or pm.
Thanks.
It will not be possible for you to go so far into the eve to kill the flow of air unless you spent quite a bit of time and trim around the rafters. Don't worry about that. Once you go up there you will see exactly what I mean. That said you will see that the last half foot does not give you much storage.

Last edited by Toymeister; 12-03-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:38 PM
Default Air Flow

Quote:
It will not be possible for you to go so far into the eve to kill the flow of air unless you spent quite a bit of time and trim around the rafters. Don't worry about that. Once you go up there you will see exactly what I mean.
Thank you both for responding. So if we leave about two feet of space next to the outside walls, you both think it will be okay for air flow?
Any recommendations for a handyman to do this?
Old 12-03-2017, 07:41 PM
Default Air Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Probably not a good idea to go all the way to the eves. The attics get HOT in the summer and you want as much air circulation as you can get. We added forced air circulation to control the temperature.
Villagetinker, thank you for responding. You are always so helpful and respectful in your responses. I'm always so appreciative of people who take the time to try and help someone instead of just making jokes or giving a sarcastic reply. You are a true gentleman. Thank you for this reply...and all of your replies to everyone.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:43 PM
Default Attic Floor

Quote:
I'm sorry Toymeister. My question wasn't very clear. Thank you for helping me clarify my question.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
We have a small area above our garage that has plywood flooring that was installed by the builder when our house was new. We plan to hire a handyman to add some additional plywood flooring. What are the considerations/limitations of this? What about air circulation (without adding a fan)? We would appreciate any advice.
We are in a designer home with two car garage and attached golf garage, two carts deep.

We purchased about 25-30 pieces of 1/2" x 2 'x 4' (TG) pressed board sheets from HD. They were easy to load in our SUV and handle in the storage area. I installed them in most of the open area. Left about 2-3 feet open at the eaves. Made sure they were properly position over the rafters where joining. Used 2" dry wall screws to fasten in place so they didn't shift in use.

We then watched our neighborhood for anyone who was replacing carpet with tile. They were glad to give us all all the carpet we wanted. Cut the carpet to fit and covered most of the center area so it made it easier on our knees. We probably have close to 100 boxes tucked up there. Forty boxes of Christmas decorations alone. Takes some organization.

Been using our storage area this way since late spring 2013 with NO issues. Heat has not damaged anything. No signs of bugs or other creatures. We have lived in the South for forty years and always keep things in our attic with no issues.

We do not store candles or food up there (grin).

I expect any of the handyman ads in newspaper would be sources of installers for you. Installation would be a 1.5 on a DYI scale of 1-5 (5 the hardest).

I don't see any evidence of air circulation problems as a result of our modifications. Garages get hot during the summer in Fl and other southern states.

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....

Last edited by SouthOfTheBorder; 12-04-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Thank you both for responding. So if we leave about two feet of space next to the outside walls, you both think it will be okay for air flow?
Any recommendations for a handyman to do this?
When you consider how the air travels, it all goes through the 3 1/2" X 22 1/2" space at the eve to attic transition of each typical rafter before it opens to the attic.

Your real concern is a practical one; it is tight up there. You probably do not need space of less than 16" in height or so. Or whatever size box you had to store stuff. So why floor to a point where all you can store is a roll of Christmas wrapping paper? I don't know precisely what that measurement will be for you depending on your home's roof pitch and box size preference.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:52 AM

Did you ever get anyone to do the job?
Old 12-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Default Attic Flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxdog View Post
Did you ever get anyone to do the job?
Not for sure...have someone coming this week to give us an estimate. Do you have someone you could recommend?
Old 12-05-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Not for sure...have someone coming this week to give us an estimate. Do you have someone you could recommend?
optv13sp do a search on this site for handyman. You will find plenty of recommendations. I did a search, but for some reason I cannot get the link to come up for you.

Tags
flooring, plywood, additional, advice, air

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.