Decisions

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Question Decisions

Which is more important , a third bedroom or a 2 car garage?

and Why.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartonjelly View Post
Which is more important , a third bedroom or a 2 car garage?

and Why.
A third bedroom because you can park a car on the driveway but you wouldn't dare give a guest a pillow and blanket then throw him/her out onto the dirveway!

Seriously, it depends on what's more important to you... bedroom space or covered parking for a second car. If it were me I would go for the garage space over the third bedroom if I had to make that choice. There's too little space even in a two car garage, even if expanded. Also if we had guests with a child, the child could always sleep on a couch. I remember doing it as a kid when I visited an aunt and didn't mind it in the least! But again, depends on your priorities!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Sage
Default how many live in the household

One way to look at it is to consider how many people are living with you in the household, and how big of a place you are coming from. We have just my husband and I living in a 3-BR CYV, and we knew we needed the 3rd bedroom as a den/office or t.v. room.....or as a place to retreat to our own corners, after coming from a much bigger home up north.

Also, consider whether you've been in the house a lot with spouse or whomever, before retiring or moving here to work. Some couples realized after buying a 2-BR that they were not used to being in the house with their spouse/partner, because of differing work schedules before this. Usually people need their own space to which they can retreat. It does help that here in TV, you're outside a lot and not in the house as much as before (in cold states).
Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Garage. You don't want guests to stay tooooooo long.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Sage

Third bedroom. You can always park in the street.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:28 AM

I'd say a third bedroom. I don't know if there are any village homes without garages, but I'm new.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 AM

Take the garage & get a Murphy bed with fold up desk in the 2nd bedroom. 3rd B/R just gets filled up with "stuff" & even worse, relatives.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Eternal Member

I have both. The two extra bedrooms are a library/craft room and the other bedroom is my man-cave/computer room.

I have an air mattress for guests that they can put down in the library.

ilovetv is right. Sometimes you need the extra bedroom just as a place to chill out so if I had to make a choice I would go with the extra bedroom.

However, keep in mind that many people have moved to a new house because they ended up wanting/needing a two car garage.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Third bedroom. You can always park in the street.
Good one.....

It is a choice I would not have made, so I am not sure I can help.

Garage space is a huge deal to me. I have a two car garage and in hindsight wish I had an additional golf cart garage. So consider how many toys you will have, carts, bikes, etc.

I needed a third bedroom (or at least a den) which I use as an office. I still work so need a place to call my office even if we have company.

Good luck.....
Old 03-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Gold member
Default it depends

I agree with everyone above - both are nice, but only you know how you live. the 1-1/2 car garage in our CYV barely bothers us - but we have a small car that fits along with 2 golf carts. Most importantly, Ohioboy is not a fixer/putterer and doesn't spend any time in the garage.

Many men use the garage as their getaway/man cave. I think that's why a lot of them do the garage screen.

Ohioboy uses our 3rd bedroom as his music practice room and sports picture gallery. We also have a desk in there. Room for a queen size airbed when we need a 2nd guest bedroom.

Our 2nd bedroom is set up as a guest/sewing room, but I have yet to get to the sewing. I thought I'd get back into quilting, but not so far. Nice, however, to not need to do anything when guests are expected but to show them in the door. This year, we have a lot of guests. Family and those we visit on our getaways.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Don't know how much you have looked at properties in TV, but depending upon your budget, you should be able to do both. I have seen many Amarillo models with two car garages for under 170k.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:04 AM

I'd go for the garage- we have the third bedroom & two car garage and I wish I had a golf cart garage for more storage/work space. So far the third bedroom has been used very little.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Platinum member

If you are anything like me, just the fact that you asked the question, you will not be happy with either. Buy a three bedroom with a two car garage, and you will save another move.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 AM

I just bought a resale with 3 bedrooms and a two car garage....downsizing from up north, but need the extra room for added space, for when company comes, or just when I need some space! Two car garage also came with some storage cabinets against the walls, so plenty of room.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You should consider if you want a room for yourself and your spouce to use for hobbies, office etc. I would go for the extra bedroon if I was not setting it up to be used as a bedroom but a room I would use.
Remember the grarage is hot. If I could only have one I think it would be the extra bedroom.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.