Auto Insurance Requirement for Snowbirds

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2019, 10:28 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Really? What law says that someone can buy an insurance policy and lie on the application, and the insurance company has no legal recourse but to pay whatever claim is filed? I think insurance companies may pay small dollar claims. But, if you file a large claim, the company has insurance investigators who will do everything they can to protect the legal rights of the insurance company. If the policyholder lied on the application, the company can and will deny the claim.

You are correct.

False statements by others could really cost the OP.

I could not sleep with myself.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:31 AM

No, "any" misrepresentation will not result in a denial of a claim. It has to be a material one that would have caused the insurance company to never issue the policy. If that's the case, the carrier rescinds the policy from the inception date and returns all premiums.

So lets say there is a household member who's license was suspended fro DWI and insured lied on app that no person in the household has had such an infraction. That's a material misrepresentation. Policy could be rescinded.

If you say you only drive car 6,000 miles a year and get into the best rating class for lowest premiums and carrier finds out you actually log 12,000 miles a year, you'll get your premiums raised but won't be cancelled or have claims denied.

If you are in Florida 9 months a year your policy conditions aren't prefaced upon Floridia's financial liability laws. The normal policy conditions apply and they'll handle any claims on their merits. Only thing that may be lacking would be the $10,000 in required PIP benefits, which aren't typically written in non no-fault states. Many policies automatically role on mandatory FR limits for their insureds involved in out of state losses. So that may also happen.

Can't imagine a carrier denying a claim because you car was garaged in Florida versus the state of issuance. Risk hasn't increased and there is no policy language stating car must be garaged in state of issuance. I guess if you garage your car in Miami versus Fargo, North Dakota for a few months there is an increase in risk, but they can always adjust the premiums for that, but denial of claim would be tough to do.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess1980 View Post
No, "any" misrepresentation will not result in a denial of a claim. It has to be a material one that would have caused the insurance company to never issue the policy. If that's the case, the carrier rescinds the policy from the inception date and returns all premiums.

So lets say there is a household member who's license was suspended fro DWI and insured lied on app that no person in the household has had such an infraction. That's a material misrepresentation. Policy could be rescinded.

If you say you only drive car 6,000 miles a year and get into the best rating class for lowest premiums and carrier finds out you actually log 12,000 miles a year, you'll get your premiums raised but won't be cancelled or have claims denied.

If you are in Florida 9 months a year your policy conditions aren't prefaced upon Floridia's financial liability laws. The normal policy conditions apply and they'll handle any claims on their merits. Only thing that may be lacking would be the $10,000 in required PIP benefits, which aren't typically written in non no-fault states. Many policies automatically role on mandatory FR limits for their insureds involved in out of state losses. So that may also happen.

Can't imagine a carrier denying a claim because you car was garaged in Florida versus the state of issuance. Risk hasn't increased and there is no policy language stating car must be garaged in state of issuance. I guess if you garage your car in Miami versus Fargo, North Dakota for a few months there is an increase in risk, but they can always adjust the premiums for that, but denial of claim would be tough to do.

BINGO!!!!!!
Your imagination limits advice.

Your statement "but denial of claim would be tough to do" agrees denial could happen.
A $1mil claim, "tough" to deny becomes much easier.

Not sure who has the bigger cowboy hat, I would recommend honesty & talking to your insurance carrier.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
A small amount of knowledge is a very dangerous thing.

You are so wrong.

Any misrepresentation or fraud will allow the carrier to deny a claim.

That's fine if you want to take the risk, but don't misrepresent for the OP.
This seems to make the most sense to me.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:57 PM

Here is a different situation I've wondered about:

We just purchased a home in Marsh Ben, with the intent to become a permanent resident of Florida. As we currently live in Oregon, and have a home here, we know we must do certain things to change our domicile to Florida. Our Oregon home will become a 2nd vacation home for the summer months until we sell it.

We have no intention of driving our Oregon cars down to Florida (2006 and 2008) and will initially just rent, then eventually purchase a vehicle for use in Florida; it will be registered in FL, of course.

We also travel quite a bit, and expect that to continue for a few years.

Reading thru this thread, I interpret the 90 day requirement a bit confusing. I plan to inform my insurance company (USAA) of our intent.

Anyone with this type of situation?

Thanks.

Mike
Old 09-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post

We just purchased a home in Marsh Ben, with the intent to become a permanent resident of Florida. As we currently live in Oregon, and have a home here, we know we must do certain things to change our domicile to Florida. Our Oregon home will become a 2nd vacation home for the summer months until we sell it.

We have no intention of driving our Oregon cars down to Florida (2006 and 2008) and will initially just rent, then eventually purchase a vehicle for use in Florida; it will be registered in FL, of course.

Reading thru this thread, I interpret the 90 day requirement a bit confusing. I plan to inform my insurance company (USAA) of our intent.

Thanks.

Mike

Is your question/concern regarding your two current cars??

If so, there is no need to change your registration or insurance.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post

Thanks.

Mike
The 90 day rule is not very complicated. If you own or lease a car that you use on a day to day basis in Florida for more than 90 days during the calendar year, you are supposed to register the car with the Florida DMV office, and purchase a Florida auto insurance policy. It really doesn't matter whether or not you even own or rent a house in Florida, or whether you consider yourself to be a Florida resident. It is all about the car usage in the State of Florida.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:20 AM
Gold member

In 2015 we bought in TV and were Snowbirds, and brought a car down to garage and use here.
We were going to winter in TV for 5-6 months.
Checked the law, and had it insured, a Florida agent had to write the policy, then registered it in FL.
Also had a car garaged, registered & insured up north for use while there.
Both cars were insured by State Farm even though I had different agents.
State Farm allows you to put the unused vehicle in a storage mode, but some companies don’t allow you to do that.
The storage rate is much lower.
I find when following the law I sleep better!
Closed Thread

Tags
michigan, florida, insurance, days, auto

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.