Auto Registration and Drivers License

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Default Auto Registration and Drivers License

Bringing auto to TV and need info to change tags to Florida along with changing drivers license.

Do I need to use my current license picture ID to show as proof and will they keep it once its changed over? What else will they accept? I have also a paper license that does not have a picture, will that be OK?

Also what is required to change the tags? Do I need besides the title anything else?

I heard you must make an appointment to do all this at Wildwood.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Sage
Default Re: Auto Registration and Drivers License

If you are "seasonal", do you still need to apply for a Florida driver's license?
Is there a driver's test necessary, or will they issue one based on a current license from another area?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:30 AM
Platinum member

This may be of assistance. Wish I was there in TV too.

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/

Steve
Old 10-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Sage

Bubbalarry.... step 1 is to get new driver's license; you will need your old one and they do confiscate it; no written or practical test....can't remember if they did a vision test or if it was strictly a paperwork transaction; old license must have a picture ID or else bring a passport with photo (i.e. they wanted some kind of official picture ID); There is a DMV office just south of the Villages off of 441...you can make an appt and not wait in line.

Next step...car registration; bring title and proof of insurance; can do this at the Sumter county govt annex at Morse Blvd and 466. No appt necessary nor will they make them.

Not sure how it all works in Wildwood.

Barefoot...you do not need to get a Florida driver's license for your seasonal stays. It is an important first step if one wishes to claim Florida residency.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Sage

Great info Villages07! Thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Gold member

I was going to post this very question today. Thanks for all the info. Sounds very painless. :bigthumbsup:
Old 10-15-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07
Bubbalarry.... step 1 is to get new driver's license; you will need your old one and they do confiscate it; no written or practical test....can't remember if they did a vision test or if it was strictly a paperwork transaction; old license must have a picture ID or else bring a passport with photo (i.e. they wanted some kind of official picture ID); There is a DMV office just south of the Villages off of 441...you can make an appt and not wait in line.

Next step...car registration; bring title and proof of insurance; can do this at the Sumter county govt annex at Morse Blvd and 466. No appt necessary nor will they make them.

Not sure how it all works in Wildwood.

Barefoot...you do not need to get a Florida driver's license for your seasonal stays. It is an important first step if one wishes to claim Florida residency.

Thanks to all with the info. The link provided much info and should be a sticky for all to view.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Eternal Member

From my occasional post:

Be sure to bring your birth certificates and other ID with you. You will need them to get Florida driver's licenses. You should also bring your car titles. If you are still buying your car, bring the name and address of the car loan place and the account number. You will have to have proof of Florida car insurance before you can change titles and get tags. I stayed with my original company but they had to write me a new policy and cancel the New Jersey one.

You will have to take a vision test to get your Florida drivers license - no written test. I live in Marion county but went to the Tax Collection agency at the Village Green in Lake and registered the cars. I went to Wildwood for the drivers license because it was not as crowded as other places.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman
From my occasional post:

Be sure to bring your birth certificates and other ID with you. You will need them to get Florida driver's licenses. You should also bring your car titles. If you are still buying your car, bring the name and address of the car loan place and the account number. You will have to have proof of Florida car insurance before you can change titles and get tags. I stayed with my original company but they had to write me a new policy and cancel the New Jersey one.

You will have to take a vision test to get your Florida drivers license - no written test. I live in Marion county but went to the Tax Collection agency at the Village Green in Lake and registered the cars. I went to Wildwood for the drivers license because it was not as crowded as other places.
Isn't a passport sufficient enough of an ID and the title of the car I own outright? Also if your just changing licences do you need to take an eye exam?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Eternal Member

I would hope you have a valid drivers license from where every you are coming from to show them - and they do a vision test.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Just went through this. Yes to vision test. You must have a valid Florida driver's license to register your vehicle. Fortunately, your license is issued about 3 minutes after you get your picture taken. You can also register to vote when getting your driver's license.

Basically, the documentation required will be your present State's driver's license and whatever else your state required. For me, that meant either a passport or my social security card.

Car registration is not done at the DMV. Do be careful that you go to the correct office for licensing. Registration is done via the County Tax Collector.

You do not need your present State's registration. You do need your original title. Your automobile insurance must state that it is acceptable for Florida coverage. Your agent can fax it to the Tax Collector when you go there to register.

I didn't bother making any appointments. The whole thing took about 20 minutes going to both offices.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-17-2007, 11:17 AM

I will be a snowbird with a New York drivers license. If I need a Florida drivers license to register my car in FL, does that mean that I cannot get a Florida registration for the car which I will leave in Florida?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'd call and ask them. I just know that they wouldn't let me register my car without a Florida driver's license, but this is my home. They're really good about answering questions in both offices.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-17-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman
I would hope you have a valid drivers license from where every you are coming from to show them - and they do a vision test.
OK, then I will take my picture-less paper license and my passport to take the vision test and get my new pictured Florida drivers license and then go to Tax collector along with my title and new Florida Insurance card and get tags.

Whats so funny about all of this is yesterday while getting an insurance quote from TV insurance company was shocked to hear that if you see a car with a broken rear window, with tailpipe hanging down and no bumper, be assured that the car has no insurance.

Well if thats the case how did that car get registered and tagged.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Sage

patfinn.... a neighbor brought his car down from up north and registered it in FL and did not change his driver's license....he's still a resident of his Northern state but wanted to leave a car here. He said he took the title and proof of insurance to tax collector's office on 466 at Morse Blvd and showed them his out of state driver's license and paid the fees. Seems like you should have to have some proof that you own the home in FL where it will be registered but he didn't mention this. Best to call first and check...if you are in Sumter County, it would be the tax collector's office.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.