Lilly vs. Gardenia vs. ?

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2009, 06:39 PM
Veteran member
Default Lilly vs. Gardenia vs. ?

I see where a couple of people on TOTV have recently stated they are buying the Lilly model. Could you explain to me the advantages of Lillly vs. Gardenia vs. ??

I have vacationed at TV 3 times, and I like the layout of the Gardenia, incl. 2 walk-in closets in the MBR, pocket door to 2nd/3rd bedroom area, and the MBR opposite side of the LR.

I have never toured the Lilly, but I have seen the layout on The Villages web site.

Lilly lovers, please speak out. Tell me about the extra advantages of the Lilly from your perspective? Thanks.

Gene, SW Ohio
TV Wannabe
Old 06-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Veteran member
Default Anybody got an answer?

Still would like to hear some good points about the Lilly house model. Thanks.

Gene in SW Ohio
Old 06-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Gold member

we have a camillia.... same floorplan exactly as the Gardinia.... we love our floorplan.... the front window adds a brightness and openness that I believe is missing in the Lily. You will never be disappointed with a Gardinia.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Sage

My reasons for preferring the Lilly:

It has a very large bedroom in front (with a large window, albeit no foyer window) that is much bigger than the gardenia and could be used as a 2nd living room/office/bedroom. And it has a closet so it is considered a bedroom. This room was my selling point.

The other bedroom is also larger than the Gardenia.

The MB comes with tray ceilings.

No columns in front of the kitchen.

A larger standard garage.

At least that is my recollection of why we prefer the Lilly but Gardenia is my second choice.

Last edited by Russ_Boston; 06-12-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If only they would make the Gardenia/ Camellia with a two foot kick in other bedrooms, it would be PERFECT. They are now building some Gardenias/Camellias with wider lanais which is great!

The Lily is similar to the Lantana, a great house but not as bright inside, even with solar tubes.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Eternal Member
Default Gardenia vs Lily

I have a Gardenia and am very happy with the floor plan. I too have only seen the Lily floorplan, but I can make a couple of comments about the things I know about the Gardenia and the things I see in the floorplan of the Lily.
First, the MBR door opens direcly into the living room. I like the hallway in the Gardenia getting to the MBR. More privacy in my opinion.
Second, there is a single (shared) closet in the MBR. Not good for me and the Mrs.
Third, the standard Gardenia lanai is awkwardly narrrow at 8' 6". The Lily is even narrower.
Fourth, there is no MBR exit to the lanai.
On the plus side, the Lily has 3 real bedrooms, with closets. The 3rd BR in the Gardenia is a den as it has no closet.
And, the Lily is 70 sq ft bigger.

Last edited by SteveFromNY; 06-12-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Default my choice

If and when we can retire, I would pick the Gardenia. I don't like having the MBR closet opening into the bathroom because of moisture. Also, I think having the breakfast room at the front of the house is preferable. Look at the Begonia. It is similar to the Gardenia but has a bigger garage, although you lose a window in the breakfast area.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 AM

I just purchased a Lily but we haven't lived in it yet. The deciding factor for us was the large 3rd bedroom in the front of the house which we will use as a living room/computer room. We will have family visiting for a week at a time when they come. The third bedroom (our living room) and guest room and bathroom will shut off so they have complete living quarters when we need time away from each other or in the case of my sons when they sleep in in the mornings and stay up very late or come in late. I felt like I would never use the bedrooms the other way except as maybe a computer room. I know we will use the living room if we have guests that want to talk versus watch the games, or for other reasons. The laundry room is also very big. The walk in closet is huge (we would never fill it with our clothes since we have lived in Florida 25 years and only have light weight clothes.) The Lily and Begonia (the new models) will fit on a small interior lot although the Lily has 2000 square feet. Our lanai is 26.5 ft x 12 or 13 feet. It is my understanding they are stretching them if the lot will hold it as they did ours. We basically have no back yard though. Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
My reasons for preferring the Lilly:

It has a very large bedroom in front (with a large window, albeit no foyer window) that is much bigger than the gardenia and could be used as a 2nd living room/office/bedroom. And it has a closet so it is considered a bedroom. This room was my selling point.

The other bedroom is also larger than the Gardenia.

The MB comes with tray ceilings.

No columns in front of the kitchen.

A larger standard garage.

At least that is my recollection of why we prefer the Lilly but Gardenia is my second choice.

Russ, according to the floorplans the small BR and Den in the Gardenia are larger than the 2 BR's in the Lily. I am not sure how thay count the alcove in the measurement. The 2 floorplans are not to scale on the website.

I also believe tray ceilings come in the Gardenia as well.

Correct the garage is larger.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If only they would make the Gardenia/ Camellia with a two foot kick in other bedrooms, it would be PERFECT. They are now building some Gardenias/Camellias with wider lanais which is great!

The Lily is similar to the Lantana, a great house but not as bright inside, even with solar tubes.
Our Camillia came with a 2 ft stretched oversized lanai which is awesome.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Gold member

The two things that we didn't like about the Gardenia were:

1) the two secondary BRs/den were considerably smaller than the Lantana which the the Lilly seems to be modeled after (and, yes, they are also smaller than the Lilly secondary BRs according to the floor plans that I see)

2) There was no door between the MBR and the masterbath area which meant that if someone came to bed after the other person and wanted to brush his/her teeth or use the bathroom, the light from the bathroom spilled out into the bedroom area thus bothering the person trying to sleep.

The thing that we absolutely loved about the Gardenia, however, was the quad sliding doors that completely opened up into the lanai. This was not available in the Lantana, sad to say.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Veteran member
Default Begonia

Another choice is the Begonia. Same floor plan with a golf car garage in front of the nook. You do loose the street facing window in the nook, but we thought it worth the sacrifice to gain the garage. Moving into our's June 18.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFromNY View Post
Russ, according to the floorplans the small BR and Den in the Gardenia are larger than the 2 BR's in the Lily. I am not sure how thay count the alcove in the measurement. The 2 floorplans are not to scale on the website.

I also believe tray ceilings come in the Gardenia as well.

Correct the garage is larger.
Steve, not sure where you are looking -

Gardenia - Bed 2 = 11-2 by 11 Den = 11-4 by 11-3
Lily = Bed 2 = 12-1 by 12-5 Bed 3/den = 15-8 by 11-8

For reference:

http://www.thevillages.com/homes/new...lname=Gardenia

http://www.thevillages.com/homes/new...modelname=Lily

When viewed right after each other (which is what we did in the model center) the difference is readily apparent. We plan to use that front room/den as an office with a 2nd large screen TV with surround sound setup so we can close the door off to the rest of the house. Not only are the dimensions much bigger in that room but the pushed out 'bay' style window adds even more depth and light.

Tray ceiling may now be offered on the Gardenia but the floor plan does not reflect that nor did the model that I saw.

We also plan to push out the lanai with a birdcage and a concrete patio (and/or pool) if the lot will accept it. All depends on the $$.

Again - this is just our opinion and everyone's taste and needs are different.

Russ
Old 06-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Steve, not sure where you are looking -

Gardenia - Bed 2 = 11-2 by 11 Den = 11-4 by 11-3
Lily = Bed 2 = 12-1 by 12-5 Bed 3/den = 15-8 by 11-8

For reference:

http://www.thevillages.com/homes/new...lname=Gardenia

http://www.thevillages.com/homes/new...modelname=Lily

When viewed right after each other (which is what we did in the model center) the difference is readily apparent. We plan to use that front room/den as an office with a 2nd large screen TV with surround sound setup so we can close the door off to the rest of the house. Not only are the dimensions much bigger in that room but the pushed out 'bay' style window adds even more depth and light.

Tray ceiling may now be offered on the Gardenia but the floor plan does not reflect that nor did the model that I saw.

We also plan to push out the lanai with a birdcage and a concrete patio (and/or pool) if the lot will accept it. All depends on the $$.

Again - this is just our opinion and everyone's taste and needs are different.

Russ

Russ,
I pulled up a Lily & a Gardenia on the New Homes site, and clicked on floor plans. That's where I saw the dimensions. That was all I based it on.

I went to an open house with a Gardenia a few weeks ago and it had the tray ceiling.

I am of course not disagreeing with you, as you say tasets and needs are different.

I do agree with one of the prior posts that talked about the 12 ft wide slider. It is nice. Really opens up the entire house when it's open.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:33 AM
Veteran member
Default Thanks to all for important info

Many, many thanks to all who replied with my question on comparing the Lilly to the Gardenia model. That's exactly the kind of comparative info Kathy and I need. We'll talk it about it this weekend (as we talk about TV every weekend).

In the meantime, Gracie & Henry, are you ready for an afternoon at the track back in Cincinnati? Will be fun. Lots of laughs.

Gene (& Kathy), SW Ohio
TV Wannabes
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.