Lantana vs. Gardenia vs. Bridgeport

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Veteran member
Default Lantana vs. Gardenia vs. Bridgeport

Just returned from our third trip to TV. Life Preview is great isn't it!

As soon as our home sells; we're heading back to buy a designer home. But am I ever confused!

I like the openness of the Lantana and the large guest rooms, as well as the larger laundry room but I don't like the kitchen (size) nor do I like one closet in the master.

I love the entrance of the Gardenia and the kitchen is a good size but I'm not crazy about the floor plan. I absolutely love the kitchen in the Bridgeport as well as the half bath and jack and jill guest baths but I don't like the basic floor plan as well as the entrance.

So if I could take a little from each model; I would have my dream retirement home.

For those of you who live in a designer; any regrets on the model you choose or after thoughts?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Re: Lantana vs. Gardenia vs. Bridgeport

WE were able to find a CBS Lantana w/extended golf cart garage that was also extended 2 feet on the kitchen knook side of the house. With the 2 foot extension, the kitchen now has a center island with cabinets and one additional double wall cabinet. In our opinion, this option makes the Lantana kitchen more functinal than the Bridgeport. AS far as the one Master bedroom closet....it could be better. However what we did was remove the existing shelving/hanging space and put in 3 levels od shelving/hangars that took advantage of the length of shirts, long clothes etc and also provides room up top for items not needed as much. I got the smaller side while the better half has the larger side of the closet. Nat as good as 2 separate closets but at least we have the extended golf cart garage and kitchen with center island.

Highly suggest you tell your RE Agent that you want a Lantana with a center kitchen island ..... and let he/she look for you. May be hard to find with other options you are looing for, but I think you would like it very much
Old 11-28-2007, 09:51 PM

We moved from a Royal Palm designer house to a Lantana which we stretched 2 feet in back and one down the middle. We love this house. We do miss not having a his and her closet in the master bedroom, but we added shelves and racks so we have enough room for both of us. Love the large guest rooms. We use the front room as a family room. We put in a pocket door in the hall, so guests have total privacy. We put in a Murphy bed in the middle room and use this room as both a guest room and a computer room. We love this model! Barb B.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:38 PM

The Lantana is a great home,,,,but the kitchen is lacking drawer space and cabinet space. Check out the drawers. Hardly any space to put anything.

Dianne
Old 11-29-2007, 04:19 AM

We purchased the Gardenia because of the larger kitchen, and the nice master with closets. We liked the roomy feeling great room. The lantana seemed broken up somehow, but the larger 3rd bedroom is a plus. My only regret is that we have neighbors directly behind us who are party people and noisy, which I understand is quite rare in The Villages, we just got "lucky". If you can swing it, I'd suggest getting a more private lot overlooking water, golf course, or by a privacy wall.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Sage

Lil Dancer - Just curious -

Did you buy your home quickly or did you have the time to see who might be living in your back yard? Or did they move in after you did?

I appreciate the advice because i certainly want to avoid 'party people' behind me if possible. I guess I'll have to just pay more for a view site but even then i guess you can get 'lucky' by having side neighbors who are noisy.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Veteran member

I'm kind of chuckling Russ - BTW, I am originally from the Boston area, lived there most of my adult life!

You can't pick your neighbors - that's for sure!

We now live in IL, in a golf club community where some of the homes are priced in the millions. I am pretty close to my neighbors in back of me but with creative landscaping; it's become our private oasis.

We are fortunate to have quiet neighbors; up until a few years ago. A young couple moved into a home that is beside the home behind us. There deck is in a direct viewing line of our back yard. We have a pretty large lot for this area, about 1/4 acre. We spend our summers in the gazebo that's off our deck.

Well, our new neighbor loved to play country (I should say hillbilly) music, loud and consistently. He would sit outside on his deck, shirtless (and no, it was not a pretty sight) and he smoked so much that the smoke would drift into our gazebo. To add to this, he was on his cell phone all night and he talked loudly enough for us to hear every word of his conversation. His wife was no better and felt the need to air the dirty laundry. Of course the music was so loud that she had to scream above the noise. I should add that she walked out on him after a year and the house was up for sale for another year!

I don't think he was in mourning because he continued to have loud get togethers and play the nightly music loud enough that it was heard several streets away.

It was a happy day when he moved this past summer and a nice single quiet lady moved in!

So, if you can do some homework and buy in a developed area of TV; it may be to your advantage to ask around and talk to the folks already living there.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Veteran member

After several trips to TV, we finally decided on the Bridgeport because of the extra half bath and the way the Guest Bath is located between the two guestrooms. The Kitchen lay out is better than the Lantana. Another major factor was the Dinning Room is separated from the Living Room. We did like the Gardenia but chose the Bridgeport because of the overall lay out. We liked the Williamsburg best of all but didn't like the price.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 11-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Gold member

We have the Lantana(Juniper) model. The kitchen is very lacking in drawer space. We have decided to put more cabinets in the laundry room above the washer and dryer and down one wall. That will help with the lack of kitchen storage space. Otherwise we love the house. We have the larger bedroom as the guest room, small bedroom for den and an extended lanai (12x30)
Lovin it here in TV 040 040
Old 11-29-2007, 10:11 PM

Russ Boston - we bought our houses at the same time (they were new homes at the time). I think there are no guarantees when it comes to noise. You may start off with good neighbors but if someone moves you don't know who you'll get for a neighbor. In our previous neighborhood we had barking dogs all day long which drove me crazy. Luckily we don't have that here. As far as the neighbors out back, we're going to enclose our lanai, which should help take care of the problem. Our front entry way is quite large and we have some wicker chairs out there and a small table for times we want to sit outside. I like the view from out front better as well.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Eternal Member

We have the Gardenia. There were a few things that were important to us:
1) The large open kitchen was a must and let me eliminate models with closed kitchens.
2) We really liked the master bedroom with a hallway near the entrance (I didn't want the bedroom to open right onto the living area), and two separate large walk-in closets.
3) The separate section of the house - almost like a separate apartment - when the sliding doors closed. A separate den, bath and bedroom for anyone visiting (or for me when things aren't going right ;D )
4) The hall entrance - I didn't care to step into the LR/DR from the street.
5) The outside entrance - I preferred the open feel outside too the "down-the-hall" look of the entry to the Lantana.

Honestly though, this is a hugely subjective decision. And one that you could make (any of them) and be able to feel happy about it for the rest of you time in TV!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:41 AM

Well,

We chose a Bridgeport ll Model. When we started looking several months ago we saw several design types. At 1st we thought we wanted a more open space type floor plan, but after seeing several we knew we did not want to have the kitchen to be the 1st thing you saw when coming in the front door, so we scratched that idea.

When we came across the one we purchased, saw the view and also saw it was stretched 2 ft in the front with the extended golf cart garage & were hooked. Great view over looking small pond with golf course behind it. Close enough on quite days to hear soft voices in the distance but no carts riding behind the house.

One house next door occupied and the are quite retired couple, on other side no neighbors in evidence as of yet will keep our fingers crossed that they also will be on the tame side.

Got to spend thanksgiving weekend in it and it was wonderful look forward to getting back soon! ;D
Old 11-30-2007, 02:11 AM
Veteran member

Buy the biggest and the mosr you can you can always down size. We have a bridgeport , stretched out, and love it
Old 11-30-2007, 04:51 AM
Veteran member

We bought a Gardenia..stretched it out...bought a great lot....made it a 3 bedroom...and are enjoying life....my advice..take the time to look at the model you like best and have your real estate person find it for you.......there isn't any pressure now and even if you have to make a couple of trips, invest the time. Hopefully. you will live here for a LONG time.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 11-30-2007, 11:31 PM

Oh yeah one more thing our kitchen is a great size and has lot's of cabnet space. It also has a center island.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.