Automobile Insurance Driver Monitor

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2023, 10:27 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larcha View Post
Many auto insurance companies offer either a "telematics" device or a smartphone app that can monitor your driving habits. In return for using their system they say you can save on your car insurance by driving safely. If you have used such a system what has been your experience? Did you actually save money on your insurance premium or did your premium go up?
Have had it twice with good scores and still had to shop around for insurance when got renewal rate. On our third now (State Farm) will see what happens.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:45 AM
Default I use an app to ‘grade’ my driving

Quote:
Many auto insurance companies offer either a "telematics" device or a smartphone app that can monitor your driving habits. In return for using their system they say you can save on your car insurance by driving safely. If you have used such a system what has been your experience? Did you actually save money on your insurance premium or did your premium go up?
I allow an App to ‘grade’ each time I drive … 5 ‘grades’ on speed, phone usage, acceleration, cornering and braking. My rate is 1/3 of what it used to be. To be honest 95% of our driving is in The Villages … a place like most where a majority of the drivers tend to scoff at posted speed limits. The realization that my grades (& rates) depend on my driving habits have had a very positive on my driving. I don’t remember the last time I had an urge of ‘road rage’ 😎. … and by the way … I’m the guy driving 45 on 466 (with my cruise control on) while ‘you’ fly by … probably thinking I’m doing 35.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:47 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Just giving insurance companies evidence to deny claims
Exactly!
Old 01-26-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
This device goes back to the eighties (when I saw the demonstration). I saw it in the eighties so it has probably been around since the seventies. Problem back then was when the engine stopped, power steering and brakes didn't work. I fantasized about PITng them.
You could always fantasize about pinging them at a stop light. Evil thoughts for sure!
Old 01-27-2023, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The app the insurance company put on our phone was grossly inaccurate, showing us leaving from places we never were at and going places we did not go. Off by three quarters of a mile. Every stop was a panic stop. It gobbled up the phone’s battery life. We deleted it.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:56 PM

I have USAA and it doesn't use speed to determine my score. It tracks phone use while driving and hard braking. I don't use phone while driving, but my automatic cruise control brakes too hard when a car cuts in front of me. I saved 25% on my 6 month renewal.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
I have USAA and it doesn't use speed to determine my score. It tracks phone use while driving and hard braking. I don't use phone while driving, but my automatic cruise control brakes too hard when a car cuts in front of me. I saved 25% on my 6 month renewal.
Personally, I'm more than willing to pay 25% to kick big brother to the curb.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Our old insurance company offered a 30 day plug in device, to save on policy. I used it on month long call. Drove 8.1 miles day one, every 12 hours moved car from shady spot, during the day to close to the back door at night. Every Sunday went to grocery 2.6 miles to pick up snacks because you get tired of the same food everyday. End of 30 days drove 8.3 miles home. Following day returned in prepaid envelope. Included a 30 day Onstar report that would mirror the same exact mileage.

Got an interesting letter 30 days, say device was defective, policy would remain as is.

We came from GM corporate family, so have always had big brother attached to my car once Onstar was invented. Even if you choose to not pay for service, it still tracks your vehicle.

Last year Onstar offered their own insurance, quote was $587 less per year. Will see what happens at renewal in May. I actually drive double the miles now, than while I was working.

Tags
insurance, premium, system, monitor, driving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.