Available activities are not always what they seem

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2019, 09:31 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts
Default Available activities are not always what they seem

Let me lead with this. We have been here (off and on) for about 4 years. We love it here and stay active.

Having said that and after reading the post about some clubs restricted by numbers or demographics let me relate our experience in an attempt at full disclosure for anyone looking to move here.

My wife is a very experienced glass artist. She taught stained glass classes at our old home. She tried to join 2 fused glass clubs. We have now been on the "waiting list" for 3 years and the phone has not rung.

I inquired about the woodworking club/shop and was told (with a condescending look) the waiting list was about 2 years long but "sure, go ahead and put your name on the list".

My wife recently tried to join another club and was told it is closed to new members.

The country club pools, etc. require and extra fee.

On the brighter side we play pickleball daily and have been welcomed. We joined a mahjong group and were taught and welcomed. Our neighborhood association have included us and encourage participation. I have been asked to join a couple of golf groups. We stay as active as we want to be.

Just know that while all the activities are "available" many may not be available to YOU and it will get worse as the villages continues its explosive growth.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 10-30-2019, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Let me lead with this. We have been here (off and on) for about 4 years. We love it here and stay active.

Having said that and after reading the post about some clubs restricted by numbers or demographics let me relate our experience in an attempt at full disclosure for anyone looking to move here.

My wife is a very experienced glass artist. She taught stained glass classes at our old home. She tried to join 2 fused glass clubs. We have now been on the "waiting list" for 3 years and the phone has not rung.

I inquired about the woodworking club/shop and was told (with a condescending look) the waiting list was about 2 years long but "sure, go ahead and put your name on the list".

My wife recently tried to join another club and was told it is closed to new members.

On the brighter side we play pickleball daily and have been welcomed. We joined a mahjong group and were taught and welcomed. Our neighborhood association have included us and encourage participation. I have been asked to join a couple of golf groups. We stay as active as we want to be.

Just know that while all the activities are "available" many may not be available to YOU and it will get worse as the villages continues its explosive growth.
This is not necessarily true as new clubs and activities will be started.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Correctomundo!!!

And you can always start a new club if one is already full.

Some how we made it from 30,000 to 130,000 population with clubs growing and being added all along the time line.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
OK, but it is true now and has been for at least the last 4 years (the time I know about).

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 10-30-2019, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
OK, but it is true now and has been for at least the last 4 years (the time I know about).
You can always start a new club if one is already full.

Some how we made it from 30,000 to 130,000 population with clubs growing and being added all along the time line.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Just curious, how do you start a wood working shop? I would love to make frames for my canvasses. Who knows if I’ll be alive in 2 or 4 years.... I hope I’ll be.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Just curious, how do you start a wood working shop? I would love to make frames for my canvasses. Who knows if I’ll be alive in 2 or 4 years.... I hope I’ll be.
It is often the activities that require hardware (kilns for glass or woodworking machines, etc) that have very long waiting lists. Other long waits can be things like cheerleaders that only need/want a limited membership
BTW -cheerleader is not on our wish list LOL.

I'm sure that if one chooses to start a Blue Tailed French Spotted Warbler club there would be a room available somewhere.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Why would you need a wood working shop?
how to make frames for canvass - Bing video
Old 10-30-2019, 11:53 AM
Gold member

Quote:
A friend of mine applied for woodworking earlier this year
and he recently got a notice to attend the training class,
so it might not take as long as you think!
But you have to put your name in to actually get the ball rolling!
Old 10-30-2019, 11:57 AM
Sage

I LOVE the smell of freshly cut wood, sanded wood, and I also make simple furniture, sculpt wood too. And the chat of fellow wood workers Is great.

You are right though I can have my own cutting tools in the garage for frames.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
A friend of mine applied for woodworking earlier this year
and he recently got a notice to attend the training class,
so it might not take as long as you think!
But you have to put your name in to actually get the ball rolling!
Yes!
Old 10-30-2019, 12:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Clubs need volunteers to head them up. Waiting lists will continue to be long if no one is willing to step up.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
ME too....I would love to do that to!!!. I can't start a group, which could well be held in a regular art room, because I don't know how to do it.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
ME too....I would love to do that to!!!. I can't start a group, which could well be held in a regular art room, because I don't know how to do it.
Learn how, see post #8.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

You explained your experience in a factual way, and you are 100% correct. You can’t just walk in and start your own glass fusion class. I happen to know that the wait lists are about 3 years for this class. Space in the kilns and art rooms is very limited.

I often hear sales people imply that everything is available to everyone whenever you want it. This is simply not true. In their defense, they may not even be aware of limitations that exist with certain groups/clubs.

So your point is well taken. It’s annoying how several posters piled on at your criticism balanced as it was.

And you’re correct, people considering moving here deserve full disclosure.
Closed Thread

Tags
years, list, join, glass, clubs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.