Available activities are not always what they seem

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2019, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Clubs need volunteers to head them up. Waiting lists will continue to be long if no one is willing to step up.
I agree, facilities are available just don't have enough volunteers to run them. Hopefully they may find more with the new folks below 44 but not sure if that will help those north.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-30-2019, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,500 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
You explained your experience in a factual way, and you are 100% correct. You can’t just walk in and start your own glass fusion class. I happen to know that the wait lists are about 3 years for this class. Space in the kilns and art rooms is very limited.

I often hear sales people imply that everything is available to everyone whenever you want it. This is simply not true. In their defense, they may not even be aware of limitations that exist with certain groups/clubs.

So your point is well taken. It’s annoying how several posters piled on at your criticism balanced as it was.

And you’re correct, people considering moving here deserve full disclosure.
I feel qualified to answer this because I use the art room at Laurel Manor on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday every week. Each of the classes are not even half full even during high season. The only class with a waiting list is pottery because it requires pre-instruction on use of equipment and techniques. I think that there is more use in the newer areas because everyone wants to try everything, but if you are willing to go to other rec centers there is space.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:36 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

I read that they are building another wood working shop to keep up with the demand. I can't remember where but it is north of 44 and maybe that is why they are giving the training now.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I feel qualified to answer this because I use the art room at Laurel Manor on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday every week. Each of the classes are not even half full even during high season. The only class with a waiting list is pottery because it requires pre-instruction on use of equipment and techniques. I think that there is more use in the newer areas because everyone wants to try everything, but if you are willing to go to other rec centers there is space.

So, are you saying there’s no waiting list for the classes that require kilns, potter wheels, etc. at Laurel Manor? I feel qualified in saying that is not correct, and I would encourage the OP to call Laurel Manor and inquire. I hope I’m wrong so she can participate immediately as she hoped.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I read that they are building another wood working shop to keep up with the demand. I can't remember where but it is north of 44 and maybe that is why they are giving the training now.
Across from Eisenhower Rec Center near the fire station.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
So, are you saying there’s no waiting list for the classes that require kilns, potter wheels, etc. at Laurel Manor? I feel qualified in saying that is not correct, and I would encourage the OP to call Laurel Manor and inquire. I hope I’m wrong so she can participate immediately as she hoped.
No, I think she said just the opposite, that the only classes with waiting list are the ones requiring special equipment. She didn't say what classes she is taking. I would guess art classes, judging by one very fine picture I have of a certain dog.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:58 PM

There are many glass fusion clubs here in The Villages...I know they are at Rohan, Eisenhower, SeaBreeze, Colony and I'm sure at others North of 466. There will most likely be one at Everglades once it is open and if someone volunteers to run it. You must put your name in for every club (most rec centers have two at each). I know people who have only waited a few months to get in. If you limit yourself to only the rec center(s) that are close to you, it may take a while.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote:
Don't think the lady said that at all.

Quote 1.
I feel qualified to answer this because I use the art room at Laurel Manor on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday every week. Each of the classes are not even half full even during high season.

Quote 2.
The only class with a waiting list is pottery because it requires pre-instruction on use of equipment and techniques.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:29 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

The point I am making in my original post is this: Not all the activities that are advertised are actually available to everyone that wants to participate. At least not without a significant wait. Some recreation venues such as using the pool or tennis courts at some of the country clubs require an additional fee. I did not know this when I bought my home.

I cant imagine that will get better in the near term since TV is adding residents at a frantic pace. Yes, I know they are adding facilities but (in my opinion) the increase in population has for several years outpaced the community built facilities.

The examples are my personal experience to help make the point and are not embellished. I don't need help to join any of the clubs since we have been around long enough to figure out what is required. We use a commercial fused glass studio that is worth the small cost. Some of you can point to different experience. Sometimes it depends on who you know.

The bottom line is prospective residents should be aware that there are limitations and delays to the promised lifestyle.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 11-04-2019, 04:44 AM

There is also a level of misconception about clubs and activities as well as many being too crowded to be enjoyable. Freshwater fishing club 'closed membership' because it could not get a meeting room large enough to fit all the current members. Sure you could start your own club, but most of us don't want the burden of what it takes to start and maintain a club. Its no easy task to start a new club in the Villages (or anywhere else for that matter). Town Squares with events and entertainment, BUT you'd better be ready to spend an hour finding somewhere to park and then walk 2 miles to get there and endure wall to wall people. I think the OP was just trying to make the point that things are not always as they seem and you may not really get what you expected out of the Villages. I've been here about a year and a half and must say I've had many disappointments in some of the clubs and activities. BUT for all those disappointments I've found many other great things that were not anticipated and very enjoyable for me. One example can be seen in the virtually free executive golf. I came here expecting it to be mediocre courses with not well kept facilities, but the courses, upkeep and facilities are top notch, BUT you've got to play in a crowded conditions with many who are new to the game and lack knowledge of etiquette and courtesy on the courses. My first impressions of the Villages facilities with its abundance of Rec centers, golf courses, pickleball courts and everything else seemed like a virtual paradise for enjoyment of all these activities, BUT add the 120,000 people who are all partaking of the activities and the crowded conditions detract from the enjoyment for me.

My overall point is that I can easily see how initial perception of the Villages Clubs and Recreation can differ from the reality of living here. I think the Villages is a great place to live, but it is different than I originally perceived.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Let me lead with this. We have been here (off and on) for about 4 years. We love it here and stay active.

Having said that and after reading the post about some clubs restricted by numbers or demographics let me relate our experience in an attempt at full disclosure for anyone looking to move here.

My wife is a very experienced glass artist. She taught stained glass classes at our old home. She tried to join 2 fused glass clubs. We have now been on the "waiting list" for 3 years and the phone has not rung.

I inquired about the woodworking club/shop and was told (with a condescending look) the waiting list was about 2 years long but "sure, go ahead and put your name on the list".

My wife recently tried to join another club and was told it is closed to new members.

The country club pools, etc. require and extra fee.

On the brighter side we play pickleball daily and have been welcomed. We joined a mahjong group and were taught and welcomed. Our neighborhood association have included us and encourage participation. I have been asked to join a couple of golf groups. We stay as active as we want to be.

Just know that while all the activities are "available" many may not be available to YOU and it will get worse as the villages continues its explosive growth.
Let me add to that - there are groups such as Zumba at the rec centers that are so crowded in the winter, that you have to get there almost an hour early if you want to get a spot. So all the available activities are not really "that" available.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:15 AM

To some extent, I agree with the OP.
Everyone should be able to utilize any of The Villages facilities, and not be expected to wait years for an opening.
I can only imagine if the golf course facilities operated this way. The Tee time system takes care of that nicely. It evens the "playing field", and gives everyone an equal chance to enjoy the amenity.
Perhaps, a Woodworking, or Kiln, "Tee time system" would benefit all of us.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,500 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa View Post
To some extent, I agree with the OP.
Everyone should be able to utilize any of The Villages facilities, and not be expected to wait years for an opening.
I can only imagine if the golf course facilities operated this way. The Tee time system takes care of that nicely. It evens the "playing field", and gives everyone an equal chance to enjoy the amenity.
Perhaps, a Woodworking, or Kiln, "Tee time system" would benefit all of us.
AND by the same criteria, you may have to broaden your field. If you live below 466A you may have to go north of 466 to find space in an activity.

When we are flooded with all of the people who have every right to be here during the encroaching "high season" you will find many classes full and may have to get there WAAAY early if you want to attend.

The developer provides the space and Villagers volunteer to take responsibility for the room. If you do not see the activity you want to happen, then you may be the very answer yourself. Volunteer before you complain. Broaden your field and be slightly inconvenienced to get what you want.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
AND by the same criteria, you may have to broaden your field. If you live below 466A you may have to go north of 466 to find space in an activity.

When we are flooded with all of the people who have every right to be here during the encroaching "high season" you will find many classes full and may have to get there WAAAY early if you want to attend.

The developer provides the space and Villagers volunteer to take responsibility for the room. If you do not see the activity you want to happen, then you may be the very answer yourself. Volunteer before you complain. Broaden your field and be slightly inconvenienced to get what you want.
You missed my point.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:08 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Recently a friend of mine told me he and his wife were considering moving to TV and asked my opinion. My response (synopsis) was we love it here, however, I recommend you come in the high season and try to do the activities advertised. Don't automatically discount the other over 55 communities. Then decide if it is for you.

The two rationalizations I hear for overcrowding 1) snowbirds pay the bills and 2) if you want a club then start one yourself. Neither of these arguments resonate with me for these reasons 1) I for one would rather pay a little more and enjoy my time during the high season. I also believe that a significant percentage of the crowds is due to the huge growth that has and is occurring without a corresponding increase in facilities. There is only one Sharon, Savannah Center, Katie Belles, etc and the are MANY more people trying to use them. 2) new and existing residents have a right to expect the clubs advertised without becoming the driving force behind them.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Closed Thread

Tags
years, list, join, glass, clubs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.