Available activities are not always what they seem

Available activities are not always what they seem

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 10-30-2019, 11:58 AM
Velvet's Avatar
Velvet Velvet is online now
Gold member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mallory Square
Posts: 1,266
Thanks: 18
Thanked 216 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
A friend of mine applied for woodworking earlier this year
and he recently got a notice to attend the training class,
so it might not take as long as you think!
But you have to put your name in to actually get the ball rolling!
Yes!
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 10-30-2019, 12:03 PM
Marathon Man Marathon Man is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)
Posts: 891
Thanks: 0
Thanked 107 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Clubs need volunteers to head them up. Waiting lists will continue to be long if no one is willing to step up.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marathon Man For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
  #13  
Old 10-30-2019, 12:29 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 36,831
Thanks: 777
Thanked 353 Times in 203 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Just curious, how do you start a wood working shop? I would love to make frames for my canvasses. Who knows if I’ll be alive in 2 or 4 years.... I hope I’ll be.
ME too....I would love to do that to!!!. I can't start a group, which could well be held in a regular art room, because I don't know how to do it.
__________________
I used to be delighted. And now I am diverted.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-30-2019, 12:32 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 13,522
Thanks: 0
Thanked 163 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
ME too....I would love to do that to!!!. I can't start a group, which could well be held in a regular art room, because I don't know how to do it.
Learn how, see post #8.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogie Shooter For This Useful Post:
  #15  
Old 10-30-2019, 12:55 PM
Villageswimmer Villageswimmer is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Let me lead with this. We have been here (off and on) for about 4 years. We love it here and stay active.

Having said that and after reading the post about some clubs restricted by numbers or demographics let me relate our experience in an attempt at full disclosure for anyone looking to move here.

My wife is a very experienced glass artist. She taught stained glass classes at our old home. She tried to join 2 fused glass clubs. We have now been on the "waiting list" for 3 years and the phone has not rung.

I inquired about the woodworking club/shop and was told (with a condescending look) the waiting list was about 2 years long but "sure, go ahead and put your name on the list".

My wife recently tried to join another club and was told it is closed to new members.

The country club pools, etc. require and extra fee.

On the brighter side we play pickleball daily and have been welcomed. We joined a mahjong group and were taught and welcomed. Our neighborhood association have included us and encourage participation. I have been asked to join a couple of golf groups. We stay as active as we want to be.

Just know that while all the activities are "available" many may not be available to YOU and it will get worse as the villages continues its explosive growth.

You explained your experience in a factual way, and you are 100% correct. You can’t just walk in and start your own glass fusion class. I happen to know that the wait lists are about 3 years for this class. Space in the kilns and art rooms is very limited.

I often hear sales people imply that everything is available to everyone whenever you want it. This is simply not true. In their defense, they may not even be aware of limitations that exist with certain groups/clubs.

So your point is well taken. It’s annoying how several posters piled on at your criticism balanced as it was.

And you’re correct, people considering moving here deserve full disclosure.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Villageswimmer For This Useful Post:
  #16  
Old 10-30-2019, 03:54 PM
JoMar JoMar is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,065
Thanks: 0
Thanked 85 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Clubs need volunteers to head them up. Waiting lists will continue to be long if no one is willing to step up.
I agree, facilities are available just don't have enough volunteers to run them. Hopefully they may find more with the new folks below 44 but not sure if that will help those north.
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-30-2019, 04:30 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 36,831
Thanks: 777
Thanked 353 Times in 203 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
You explained your experience in a factual way, and you are 100% correct. You can’t just walk in and start your own glass fusion class. I happen to know that the wait lists are about 3 years for this class. Space in the kilns and art rooms is very limited.

I often hear sales people imply that everything is available to everyone whenever you want it. This is simply not true. In their defense, they may not even be aware of limitations that exist with certain groups/clubs.

So your point is well taken. It’s annoying how several posters piled on at your criticism balanced as it was.

And you’re correct, people considering moving here deserve full disclosure.
I feel qualified to answer this because I use the art room at Laurel Manor on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday every week. Each of the classes are not even half full even during high season. The only class with a waiting list is pottery because it requires pre-instruction on use of equipment and techniques. I think that there is more use in the newer areas because everyone wants to try everything, but if you are willing to go to other rec centers there is space.
__________________
I used to be delighted. And now I am diverted.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to graciegirl For This Useful Post:
  #18  
Old 10-30-2019, 04:36 PM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 1,490
Thanks: 0
Thanked 101 Times in 45 Posts
Default

I read that they are building another wood working shop to keep up with the demand. I can't remember where but it is north of 44 and maybe that is why they are giving the training now.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-30-2019, 04:40 PM
Villageswimmer Villageswimmer is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,408
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I feel qualified to answer this because I use the art room at Laurel Manor on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday every week. Each of the classes are not even half full even during high season. The only class with a waiting list is pottery because it requires pre-instruction on use of equipment and techniques. I think that there is more use in the newer areas because everyone wants to try everything, but if you are willing to go to other rec centers there is space.

So, are you saying there’s no waiting list for the classes that require kilns, potter wheels, etc. at Laurel Manor? I feel qualified in saying that is not correct, and I would encourage the OP to call Laurel Manor and inquire. I hope I’m wrong so she can participate immediately as she hoped.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-30-2019, 04:44 PM
Marathon Man Marathon Man is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)
Posts: 891
Thanks: 0
Thanked 107 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I read that they are building another wood working shop to keep up with the demand. I can't remember where but it is north of 44 and maybe that is why they are giving the training now.
Across from Eisenhower Rec Center near the fire station.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
years, list, join, glass, clubs

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.