Available activities are not always what they seem

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Recently a friend of mine told me he and his wife were considering moving to TV and asked my opinion. My response (synopsis) was we love it here, however, I recommend you come in the high season and try to do the activities advertised. Don't automatically discount the other over 55 communities. Then decide if it is for you.

The two rationalizations I hear for overcrowding 1) snowbirds pay the bills and 2) if you want a club then start one yourself. Neither of these arguments resonate with me for these reasons 1) I for one would rather pay a little more and enjoy my time during the high season. I also believe that a significant percentage of the crowds is due to the huge growth that has and is occurring without a corresponding increase in facilities. There is only one Sharon, Savannah Center, Katie Belles, etc and the are MANY more people trying to use them. 2) new and existing residents have a right to expect the clubs advertised without becoming the driving force behind them.
The clubs and activities have always been led by volunteers. Nothing has changed. Why should anyone expect anything different. If you want to see something done, than do it. If you want to do an activity you may have to drive a little further during high season. People in the older areas do not participate in activities in rec centers as much as those who are newer. I am so grateful to the volunteers who take responsibility for the room, guide or teach the class or just use the room with us, as is true with most art activities.

I have been the person that began things in the past, chaired them, organized them and sometimes directed them. I am so grateful for those who do it here. In many activities the leaders have done it for years. The "followers" try to show appreciation in every way we can. I would quickly volunteer to do it now but I am not "toting and carrying" like I used to. And thankfully there is no need. I really don't want to do pottery that much to take the required class. I am happy with going to Laurel Manor four days a week and Helene and I enjoying all four groups which are; One Step Painting on Tuesdays at one, Painting Pals on Wednesdays at ten, Craft Class on Thursdays at nine, Live model Figure painting on Fridays at Pimlico at nine-thirty and Ceramics back at Laurel Manor on Saturday at eleven. Sometimes we attend the art class on Mondays at Saddlebrook, or the Saturday Art Class at Saddlebrook that is always VERY popular.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-05-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,243 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The clubs and activities have always been led by volunteers. Nothing has changed. Why should anyone expect anything different. If you want to see something done, than do it.
groan

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 11-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

We have been on 4 wait list for clubs, over 2 years. Then someone got tired of waiting and started a new club, problem solved. Now all four clubs on at wait list. So time for someone to step up and start new clubs
Old 11-04-2019, 06:43 PM

Part of this could also be the when you want to do something. People complain about crowding but the better half and I go to rec centers at 4 or 5PM and there are many that are ghost towns, pickleball courts are wide open for us. Oh man did I just put this out on the inter web, now our secret is out! Dohhh!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I feel qualified to answer this because I use the art room at Laurel Manor on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday every week. Each of the classes are not even half full even during high season. The only class with a waiting list is pottery because it requires pre-instruction on use of equipment and techniques. I think that there is more use in the newer areas because everyone wants to try everything, but if you are willing to go to other rec centers there is space.
So are you going to start a new club?????
Old 11-05-2019, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
This is not necessarily true as new clubs and activities will be started.
And you know this? Or is it you’re opinion man!
Old 11-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
And you know this? Or is it you’re opinion man!
You post your opinion all the time so it’s my turn.
Btw how new clubs have started since you came to the villages? I have seen a lot since 2002....
Old 11-05-2019, 10:54 AM
Veteran member

People rave about the Villages and all the activities. But I suspect many new owners and potential buyers don't realize it is all volunteer driven. Sadly, not everyone has the health, the skills or inclination to start and run new clubs, so the availability for activities in the high season isn't going to be as great. Personally I'm not going to wait an hour to get into a one hour zumba class, so I find other things to do or else go outside The Villages.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Sage

.'''

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-05-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

Last edited by Velvet; 11-05-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Sage

No. Not at all Velvet.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-05-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

I’ll claim to be “an abstract” artist

Last edited by Velvet; 11-05-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
years, list, join, glass, clubs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.