Baby Bird

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2017, 09:52 PM
Default Baby Bird

Hurricane Irma resulted in 2 baby birds (possibly morning doves) being thrown from their nest to the ground in our yard. One died the day after the storm, but I have been force feeding (bird formula with eye dropper) the remaining bird and it is growing, but this bird will not open it's mouth to eat. I have to force the beak open to insert the dropper and food. I do this 3 times a day. I estimate the bird is 10-12 days old.

I have absolutely no experience with birds. Is there anyone out there who can advise me on what to do. I have called and texted Animis in Ocala (wild animal rescue)for help, but have not received any reply. I hope to get this tiny bird to a rescue. Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:36 AM
Veteran member

I commend you for trying to help this baby bird.
Unfortunately, I do not know much about birds, but I do believe they have to be fed many, many times a day.

The following are two vets which I believe are "bird" knowledgeable.
If you haven't received a phone call back as yet, you might try calling these two vets for help:

Lady Lake:

Dr. Danielle Dibootage - Paws Animal Hospital - Tel. 352-259-2439

Dr. Tina Merritt - Animal Clinic of Lady Lake

414 CR 25, Lady Lake, FL 32159 - Tel. (352) 753-5333

Good luck in your endeavor. I hope the little guy makes it;
Old 09-22-2017, 10:34 AM
Default Baby Bird

Thank you Mrs. Robinson. I will try contacting your suggestions.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleneg View Post
Thank you Mrs. Robinson. I will try contacting your suggestions.
Please keep us posted.
Many of us care.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Hurricane Irma resulted in 2 baby birds (possibly morning doves) being thrown from their nest to the ground in our yard. One died the day after the storm, but I have been force feeding (bird formula with eye dropper) the remaining bird and it is growing, but this bird will not open it's mouth to eat. I have to force the beak open to insert the dropper and food. I do this 3 times a day. I estimate the bird is 10-12 days old.

I have absolutely no experience with birds. Is there anyone out there who can advise me on what to do. I have called and texted Animis in Ocala (wild animal rescue)for help, but have not received any reply. I hope to get this tiny bird to a rescue. Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.
We had a nest with 2 baby morning doves on the ground below our palm in the backyard. My wife and I took a small basket used as an Easter decoration put the nest in it ,hung it back in the Tre, scooped up the 2 BABIES and put them in the nest. We did all this after researching on the web how to handle this situation. The first thing we found was if the birds have feathers then they are not newborns and helping them was what we should do.I also called a certified wildlife rehabilitator in Oxford named Claudia...her number is 352-817-3995 ...and left her a message. She called back and confirmed what we did was the right thing to do to give these babies the best chance for survival. One thing she recommended was to put some seed on the ground to help mama feed them but we don’t have any.

This was a post a couple of days after Irma

One bird definitely died and the last I saw the other was with mom out of the nest. Hopefully it survived but we'll never know. Claudia was very helpful.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:48 PM

Arleneg - Please keep us posted

Bosoxfan - good info!
Old 09-24-2017, 08:58 PM

Thanks so much Bosox fan. I will try Claudia Monday morning and keep you and Mrs. Robinson posted.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:56 PM

Hoping the baby bird survived..
Old 09-25-2017, 08:30 PM

Thank you Bosoxfan. I contacted Claudia today and brought her baby bird. She will bring the bird to Animis in Ocala (I contacted Animis a week ago by phone and text and left messages, but never heard back). Claudia stated that baby bird will "reside" with other morning doves who will teach it how to eat and be a bird. Claudia was pretty surprised that I was able to keep the bird alive and it was growing and thriving. I am surprised too - I have never had any experience with birds, but she/he survived the hurricane and is a fighter. I am so relieved that baby bird is in the right place now.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and concerns. I hope baby bird will thrive at the rehab.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:24 AM
Veteran member
Talking

Quote:
Thank you Bosoxfan. I contacted Claudia today and brought her baby bird. She will bring the bird to Animis in Ocala (I contacted Animis a week ago by phone and text and left messages, but never heard back). Claudia stated that baby bird will "reside" with other morning doves who will teach it how to eat and be a bird. Claudia was pretty surprised that I was able to keep the bird alive and it was growing and thriving. I am surprised too - I have never had any experience with birds, but she/he survived the hurricane and is a fighter. I am so relieved that baby bird is in the right place now.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and concerns. I hope baby bird will thrive at the rehab.
That is terrific news and I silently have been wondering how the little one was doing.

If you hear anything from Claudia, there are still many of us who would like to hear about any progress.

It's always nice to her happy news and you've brought a smile to many faces.
Three cheers to you!
Old 09-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Default Baby Bird

Update on baby bird: I finally reached Claudia today-she's been extremely busy rescuing all those baby squirrels and hadn't had a minute to return my calls. She stated she will try to get back to me with an update. If I get any news, I will let everyone know. Thanks everyone for your concern for baby bird.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:42 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:

You're very welcome 🤗
Closed Thread

Tags
bird, baby, open, day, dropper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.