Back In the North Country

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Gold member
Default Back In the North Country

When my wife and if were deciding whether or not to buy in TV, we had long discussions as to whether we should sell the NY State home and be full timers in TV or keep the old home place and be snowbirds. We decided to snowbird.
We arrived back in NY last week and it quickly became obvious that we made the right decision. We had no more than pulled into the driveway when the neighbors started coming over to welcome us back. Things we took for granted before such as church, lodge meetings, American Legion meetings and just friends and family in general seem much more important now. I knew we missed them but I didn't realize how much they missed us.
We love our TV home and I'm pretty certain that our neighborhood is the best in TV, but then I think we all feel the same way about our 'hood. I was really reluctant to leave and eagerly look forward to returning but our northern home is very special too.
I'm really happy that we kept a place up north. Next Sunday we'll have our upteenth Easter egg hunt in our yard. Our daughter, grandson, nieces and nephews, their children and countless neighborhood kids have explored our yard as they snared their treasure. The beat goes on.
Yep, snowbirding works for us.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:54 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
When my wife and if were deciding whether or not to buy in TV, we had long discussions as to whether we should sell the NY State home and be full timers in TV or keep the old home place and be snowbirds. We decided to snowbird.
We arrived back in NY last week and it quickly became obvious that we made the right decision. We had no more than pulled into the driveway when the neighbors started coming over to welcome us back. Things we took for granted before such as church, lodge meetings, American Legion meetings and just friends and family in general seem much more important now. I knew we missed them but I didn't realize how much they missed us.
We love our TV home and I'm pretty certain that our neighborhood is the best in TV, but then I think we all feel the same way about our 'hood. I was really reluctant to leave and eagerly look forward to returning but our northern home is very special too.
I'm really happy that we kept a place up north. Next Sunday we'll have our upteenth Easter egg hunt in our yard. Our daughter, grandson, nieces and nephews, their children and countless neighborhood kids have explored our yard as they snared their treasure. The beat goes on.
That is great that it works for you. Not having a lot of connections here in RI we have decided when we make the move in July. We will be full time. Enjoy your time up north.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Sage

bluedog103, over time, I expect that you will be able to say the same thing TWICE a year.

Last edited by champion6; 04-17-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Sage

Hi Bluedog,

It is so nice to hear that you did what is best for you. Sounds like your welcome home was delightful and heartening!

My parents maintained a home in ATL and a home in south Florida for many, many years for much the same reasons. Eventually, as they made more close and long-time friends in Florida, got more involved in fun activities there and, as maintaining two homes became more difficult, they became full-time Florida residence. (My Dad passed away last year.) Both decisions were so right for them at the different times in their lives.

I mention this only to say, don't ever feel guilty if the day comes when making the move full time-- either to TV or back north-- is best for you then.

Life's good when we follow our hearts and dreams.

Last edited by Pturner; 04-17-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Bluedog,

It is so nice to hear that you did what is best for you. Sounds like your welcome home was delightful and heartening!

My parents maintained a home in ATL and a home in south Florida for many, many years for much the same reasons. Eventually, as they made more close and long-time friends in Florida, got more involved in fun activities there and, as maintaining two homes became more difficult, they became full-time Florida residence. (My Dad passed away last year.) Both decisions were so right for them at the different times in their lives.

I mention this only to say, don't ever feel guilty if the day comes when making the move full time-- either to TV or back north-- is best for you at then.

Life's good when we follow our hearts and dreams.

Thank you dear P. I needed your comforting post. I read Bluedogs post and swallowed twice as I called the realtor this morning to meet and sign papers on this Thursday to sell this very beloved place.

The yard is getting bigger and the neighbors we knew well are thinning out and the dear grandchildren will be ready to seek their own fortunes in a couple of years. But we love our pretty Ohio. I think it is hard for a lot of people to leave the place they have lived all of their lives.

I will read your post again.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:16 PM

Hi Bluedog 103,

Glad to hear that you made the right decision for you.

My wife and I decided instead to sell our house in Albany, NY to our son and move to The Villages full time last February. I had wanted to move to Florida for over 30 years. We went back for two weeks to visit the end of last year. It was fun getting together with our former neighbors and my friends from the area. I felt like a celebrity.

But after I was there 2 weeks, I was ready to leave and was looking forward to going "home" to Florida. I realized it wasn't just the weather. I just didn't feel a connection anymore to my previous life in Albany. Our two sons still live in the Capital District so I'm sure we'll continue to visit the area.

I think it's important that everyone make the right decision for them.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

each of these posts just seems to bear out the words of the Byrds [or Ecclesiastes]:

To Everything - Turn, Turn, Turn
There is a season - Turn, Turn, Turn
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven.

we are all better people when we can recognize the change of the season and when it is time to turn.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
Bluedog,

This is a wonderful post.

Right now we are here full time as I still work full time (and my better half has two part-time gigs). We just love it here - but still miss NE a bit. Neither of our kids lives near our "old" home, so that didn't keep us there. At some point when we retire, we will likely spend a few months each summer at a family home in Maine - away from TV.

I do think you have found the best of both worlds.

k
Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
bluedog103, over time, I expect that you will be able to say the same thing TWICE a year.
I'm sure you're right. We made alot of friends in TV over the winter, some snowbirds and some frogs. It'll be fun getting back together again in the fall.
I miss the golf. I played the day before we hit the road but haven't had the time or the weather to play up here yet. That will probably change this week, although I might freeze my butt off. It's typical April weather here, cool and wet.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
each of these posts just seems to bear out the words of the Byrds [or Ecclesiastes]:

To Everything - Turn, Turn, Turn
There is a season - Turn, Turn, Turn
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven.

we are all better people when we can recognize the change of the season and when it is time to turn.
I think this quote from njbchbum is so true! Almost like the Golden Rule. Kind of like the Serenity Prayer..."and the wisdom to know the difference." I wonder how much happier people would be if they could recognize that "season of change" and "the difference".
I am glad BlueDog103 and P's parents were able to do both!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Gold member
Default Snowbirds too

We are hoping we have made our best choice - for us for now - as well, by going back to Ohio for about 4 mos this summer, plan to be there from early May until early September.

Since we are selling the Ohio house to a grown child, and sleeping in a remodeled space in the basement, with a bath, we feel we will have the best of both worlds - no worry about an empty house and no expense of 2 homes to maintain. We will help out by doing most of the summer yard work and dog walking. It may not work forever, as lives change, and we also hope we recognize the time to move on.

I do feel that you have to work to maintain the friendships back north - email makes this easier, and we have also invited our close friends to come visit - some dog sit, some come for a short visit. Work, yes, but worth it to maintain our friends and social life up north, we hope. We also both have regular activities (tennis and golf and gardening for me, quality summer band for Ohioboy) to do up north, and we are making a point to do daytime things with other friends who have recently retired as well.

All those things we never had much time to do when we were working are now available - bike to baseball games, day trips to nearby attractions, etc. We no longer have to wait for weekends and hope we hit the weather right.

I think I could also be happy living year-round in TV, and that will probably happen also, but for now, this is the right choice for us. We know several other couples who downsized up north to a condo so they don't have the worry of a big, unoccupied house, and some lucky folks who have lake houses they are used to closing up for the winter anyway. Another perfect choice for some.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.