Back-up generators, game changer

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2018, 10:17 AM
Default Back Up Generator

I have a whole house generator at our home in Indiana. It runs on LP gas from storage tanks. LP provides more power than Nat Gas. However, it’s more expensive. The generator is 10 ft from my bedroom window and can barely be heard. I personally feel the peace of mind it gives far outweighs the cost. As far as the neighbors. In a power outage they would be asking to run extension cords to preserve their food. I’m 100% in favor of emergency whole house generators powered by LP or NG.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by revbush View Post
I have a whole house generator at our home in Indiana. It runs on LP gas from storage tanks. LP provides more power than Nat Gas. However, it’s more expensive. The generator is 10 ft from my bedroom window and can barely be heard. I personally feel the peace of mind it gives far outweighs the cost. As far as the neighbors. In a power outage they would be asking to run extension cords to preserve their food. I’m 100% in favor of emergency whole house generators powered by LP or NG.

Well said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-15-2018, 12:02 PM
Default Noise !

Could be one of the worst ideas yet for TV. I own one of these generators in Ohio. The one I own runs on natural gas. It cycles for about 20 minutes a week and when it runs ..IT IS LOUD. My house sits in the middle of a 14 acre parcel in Ohio and my neighbors can hear when that generator fires up. I can’t imagine with the proximity of houses down here how bad it would be.
You know how loud it is when your inside and the lawn service is out mowing your yard..same thing but worse because these don’t move around like a mower.
I truly hope TV gives this a serious look before even considering it. It would be a HUGE mistake allowing permanent generators to be installed.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by revbush View Post
I have a whole house generator at our home in Indiana. It runs on LP gas from storage tanks. LP provides more power than Nat Gas. However, it’s more expensive. The generator is 10 ft from my bedroom window and can barely be heard. <snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue57 View Post
Could be one of the worst ideas yet for TV. I own one of these generators in Ohio. The one I own runs on natural gas. It cycles for about 20 minutes a week and when it runs ..IT IS LOUD. My house sits in the middle of a 14 acre parcel in Ohio and my neighbors can hear when that generator fires up. <snip>
Age, make, model, etc. will make a difference. And the true volume can't be known until after the installation is complete.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Could be one of the worst ideas yet for TV. I own one of these generators in Ohio. The one I own runs on natural gas. It cycles for about 20 minutes a week and when it runs ..IT IS LOUD. My house sits in the middle of a 14 acre parcel in Ohio and my neighbors can hear when that generator fires up. I can’t imagine with the proximity of houses down here how bad it would be.

You know how loud it is when your inside and the lawn service is out mowing your yard..same thing but worse because these don’t move around like a mower.

I truly hope TV gives this a serious look before even considering it. It would be a HUGE mistake allowing permanent generators to be installed.

It was approved years ago.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
It cycles for about 20 minutes a week and when it runs ..IT IS LOUD.
Before we moved to The Villages we had a Generac backup generator right next to the house within 10 feet of a window and you couldn't hear it when it did its weekly 5 minute test. When it ran during outages it was barely noticeable.

The sound level of a Generac LP/natural gas generator is the same sound level as that of the outdoor unit of a whole house air conditioner.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:34 PM

Wow that is interesting because I have a Generac as well and my home is very well insulated with six inch framing and exterior is all brick. I can here the generator turn on for its weekly cycle and then continue to hear it run.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:45 PM

Hear the generator turn on not here it !!!
Sorry.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
There is no ....if they allow.... they are being installed at very many new home sites every day.
Easily 1/3 of the homes in our village has them. Then another 1/3 like me, have the "portable" gas generator.

In our village we post that in a prolonged power outage if our outside lights are on come on up and let us know what you need powered up.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
There is no ....if they allow.... they are being installed at very many new home sites every day.

Easily 1/3 of the homes in our village has them. Then another 1/3 like me, have the "portable" gas generator.

In our village we post that in a prolonged power outage if our outside lights are on come on up and let us know what you need powered up.

Very nice Billie. Your last paragraph is reflective of true Villager spirit, IMO.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I am 74 years old and have never lived further north than Atlanta. I have never had a generator or ever known anyone who did. I have never really felt the need. Perhaps one day I will be sorry but for now I just don’t understand the need for it here.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
I am 74 years old and have never lived further north than Atlanta. I have never had a generator or ever known anyone who did. I have never really felt the need. Perhaps one day I will be sorry but for now I just don’t understand the need for it here.
Personal preference. Just like some buy Fords and Some buy Chevy's.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:09 PM
Sage
Default Back-up generators, game changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post

I lived in Marietta and worked in Atlanta from 1980 - 1984. In 1982 there was a storm that dumped 3” of snow on the city & I-75. We got 300 stranded people into the hospital I worked at. Good thing we had a generator because the NW section of ATL lost power. We took care of 150 patients, 300 visitors, and about 250 staff for a couple of days.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Without natural gas or propane-- a standby generator is worthless-- gasoline is not a reliable fuel for standby generators and if there is a wide spread power outage, gasoline will not be available

That is why if you have a generator you'd need to keep 20 gallons of gasoline.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

If you had a heart and you saw what we saw when we came back to early from the last storm you would clam up. Noise VS. a persons medical equipment being operational? Are you nuts? There were people in their 80's & 90's who probably had the cash to get a generator but didn't and also had no A/C for a week. Live and let live. How disappointing some people are.
Closed Thread

Tags
units, back-up, neighbor, generators, game

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.