Back-up generators, game changer

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Those who have medical conditions may need a generator.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
If you had a heart and you saw what we saw when we came back to early from the last storm you would clam up. Noise VS. a persons medical equipment being operational? Are you nuts? There were people in their 80's & 90's who probably had the cash to get a generator but didn't and also had no A/C for a week. Live and let live. How disappointing some people are.

Absolutely correct Nucky. As I said in Post #6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-17-2018, 08:34 AM

After we lost our house and all its contents(we did salvage a 100 yr old rocking chair) in Katrina we moved to Texas and started over. When we heard hurricane Ike was headed to Houston in 2008 we packed a bag and flew to Disney World where we stayed until the electricity was back on. My advice to you is save your money. Get good insurance. When a hurricane is coming go somewhere for a vacation until it is over. Even if you have a generator devastation around you may make the area uninhabitable or at least inoperable. Take it from someone who has been there.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:46 AM
Sage
Default Back-up generators, game changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amexsbow View Post
After we lost our house and all its contents(we did salvage a 100 yr old rocking chair) in Katrina we moved to Texas and started over. When we heard hurricane Ike was headed to Houston in 2008 we packed a bag and flew to Disney World where we stayed until the electricity was back on. My advice to you is save your money. Get good insurance. When a hurricane is coming go somewhere for a vacation until it is over. Even if you have a generator devastation around you may make the area uninhabitable or at least inoperable. Take it from someone who has been there.

Unfortunately there are lots of folks who can’t just pick up and leave. Police, first responders, hospital workers, etc. So preparing for a severe storm has to be taken seriously. I’ve had to ride out storms many times.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:58 AM

Most of the people in TV are not working. Put the money you are going to use for a generator and the monthly estimated cost of maintenance in a savings account and when you need to leave you have the money to travel....
Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I lived in Marietta and worked in Atlanta from 1980 - 1984. In 1982 there was a storm that dumped 3” of snow on the city & I-75. We got 300 stranded people into the hospital I worked at. Good thing we had a generator because the NW section of ATL lost power. We took care of 150 patients, 300 visitors, and about 250 staff for a couple of days.

3" of snow? Snow not ice right? 3" is nothing, but again you said Atlanta!
Old 01-17-2018, 09:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
If you had a heart and you saw what we saw when we came back to early from the last storm you would clam up. Noise VS. a persons medical equipment being operational? Are you nuts? There were people in their 80's & 90's who probably had the cash to get a generator but didn't and also had no A/C for a week. Live and let live. How disappointing some people are.
Well said. If you have a medical condition and need a generator to ensure you survival or health, you are welcome to live next to me. The sound of you generator will let me know that you are ok.

And to those who say just travel until the power is back on - come on. Travel is difficult for some. They may not be able to just go away for a while.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
3" of snow? Snow not ice right? 3" is nothing, but again you said Atlanta!

Just the report of snow in ATL is enough to shut the city down. I drove all over the place picking up staff because they don’t know how to drive it in. I-75 was a parking lot full of thousands of abandoned cars and trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-17-2018, 11:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Just the report of snow in ATL is enough to shut the city down. I drove all over the place picking up staff because they don’t know how to drive it in. I-75 was a parking lot full of thousands of abandoned cars and trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep, just because you may know how to drive in snow there are many that do not. If I lived in the Atlanta area and there was but the threat of snow I would stay home. What was it that closed Atlanta a few years back, 1 inch? I lived up North in the Blizzard or "78" and drove to work. Of course I turned around and went right back home. 3 days later I was still home.

Being prepared for a disaster is a wise move. We live in a much more fragile community then we may think. There are more things that can go wrong then just a storm. Today there are threats every where, from Nature, and our fellow man. Having a backup plan is not a bad idea. You may find you can't leave. Other may have little choice but to stay. Fortunately here in Florida our biggest threat is a Hurricane. Lots of warning to the coming of disaster. Just a bit farther North, you've got Tornadoes. Little warning there. 5 days of food and water in the pantry is not a bad idea. Backup generator to power some essentials is not that expensive. If you think that local government has your back you are going be very disappointed. Also you need to have a little common sense. If they are predicting the Hurricane as a Cat 5 and probably going directly over your head, if you can, get out and hide out of the way. Get out early unless you care to be in the I-75 Parking Lot. Personally, I can replace things, I can't replace the people I love.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
Yep, just because you may know how to drive in snow there are many that do not. If I lived in the Atlanta area and there was but the threat of snow I would stay home. What was it that closed Atlanta a few years back, 1 inch? I lived up North in the Blizzard or "78" and drove to work. Of course I turned around and went right back home. 3 days later I was still home.

Being prepared for a disaster is a wise move. We live in a much more fragile community then we may think. There are more things that can go wrong then just a storm. Today there are threats every where, from Nature, and our fellow man. Having a backup plan is not a bad idea. You may find you can't leave. Other may have little choice but to stay. Fortunately here in Florida our biggest threat is a Hurricane. Lots of warning to the coming of disaster. Just a bit farther North, you've got Tornadoes. Little warning there. 5 days of food and water in the pantry is not a bad idea. Backup generator to power some essentials is not that expensive. If you think that local government has your back you are going be very disappointed. Also you need to have a little common sense. If they are predicting the Hurricane as a Cat 5 and probably going directly over your head, if you can, get out and hide out of the way. Get out early unless you care to be in the I-75 Parking Lot. Personally, I can replace things, I can't replace the people I love.

I understand & agree with you. We left Taxachusetts after the Blizzard of ‘78. I Cross Country skied to work for 10 days after the snow stopped.

Tags
units, back-up, neighbor, generators, game

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.