Backsplash After Granite Counter Top Question

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2019, 12:18 PM
Platinum member
Default Backsplash After Granite Counter Top Question

I’ve searched TOTV without finding this question. If you’re adding a tile backsplash after the fact, do you remove the existing 6” granite backsplash and tile or do you simply tile above it? Is this a matter of personal taste or is there a standard accepted industry practice?
Old 08-27-2019, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

I would keep the granite backsplash because you really don't know how much of a gap there may between the back of the granite and the wall. The tile may not be thick enough to cover the gap. I also think the project will look better, especially if you select a tile color that complements the granite.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:57 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

No. Gaps could show, not as stable to set the tile on as the granite backsplash and you could damage the wall when you remove it.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

I much prefer the look of just the tile backsplash starting at the counter and going up to the cabinets.

Gaps can be dealt with and so can wavy walls. My contractor in NJ put a "backer board" on the wall to even out the "wavyness" of the wall. It was really not very straight. I don't know if I'm explaining that correctly but there was a large gap between the wall and the counter top for about 2' at one end of the counter top run. The backsplash tile was installed over the backer board from the counter top to the bottom of the cabinets. The finished result was perfect and had the more modern look I was looking for.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

We had the backsplash installed on top of the existing stone 5 inch back splash. We think it looks great. One word of caution, if you use a backboard, or something else to fill in the gaps (etc.), you may find your electrical receptacles will be very deep in the new backsplash. Be sure your electrican takes care to properly extend these.

Tags
tile, backsplash, granite, question, matter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.