Backyard landscaping in villas

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2019, 08:44 AM
Default Backyard landscaping in villas

A recent thread that included a neighborhood vigilante trespassing in someone’s backyard with her clipboard looking for violations prompts this question...
What changes to one’s walled in backyard visible only to the homeowner necessitates a formal review or approval? A bush? Pavers? Statue or fountain or trellis? Do owner’s find the process simple and easily accommodated or onerous and ignored?
Old 09-25-2019, 10:41 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patents111 View Post
A recent thread that included a neighborhood vigilante trespassing in someone’s backyard with her clipboard looking for violations prompts this question...
What changes to one’s walled in backyard visible only to the homeowner necessitates a formal review or approval? A bush? Pavers? Statue or fountain or trellis? Do owner’s find the process simple and easily accommodated or onerous and ignored?
We were told by community standards that it is absolutely illegal for anyone to peer over your wall and only things that are visible from the street can be reported.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:46 AM

What makes any of these nosy old bitty’s think it’s ok to trespass on anyone’s property. Please do not enter my gate it won’t be a cordial visit that is my private space. Also I was under the impression you do no need any permission to landscape you back yard. I am speechless over someone doing this and hopefully their senseless complaint was ignored. They should face consequences...
Old 09-25-2019, 12:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
We were told by community standards that it is absolutely illegal for anyone to peer over your wall and only things that are visible from the street can be reported.
This person is 100% correct. I too have a Court Yard Villa with pavers, rock, and slabs...plus bushes, bamboo, sugar palms, various flowering plants...Zero Grass and very private.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
That's good because sometimes I go out in my private back yard in a natural state.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patents111 View Post

To try to answer your questions: pavers definitely need approval. I learned the hard way. Fountain, probably. You'd be amazed what needs review.

OTOH, few people apply for review. Most are lucky. Not me, thanks to a problem neighbor.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
To try to answer your questions: pavers definitely need approval. I learned the hard way. Fountain, probably. You'd be amazed what needs review.

OTOH, few people apply for review. Most are lucky. Not me, thanks to a problem neighbor.

I agree with you partially. Certainly, the front needs approval as it turned out the sides and rear did not, even though the landscaper submitted the whole plan.

If cannot be seen from the road ..... that is key.

That being said.

It is better to submit the whole plan = no headaches
Old 09-25-2019, 05:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

'Do I need approval' and 'Can I be reported' are seperate questions. As always, any questions about what the deed restrictions in your district allow are best asked of Community Standards.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,230 Posts

OP, call ARC and ask them directly this will get you the correct answer. I would provide additional info, but I do not own a villa, and therefore do not have the documents for these homes. I know for a fact that our regular house needs approval for virtually anything outside the house. I think I have 5 or 6 approvals so far.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:16 PM

Many thanks to all for your comments and suggestions
Old 09-27-2019, 08:56 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,092 Times in 373 Posts

Please be assured that it is absolutely not "illegal" to peer over your wall. It may be an expectation but you own your yard.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

.............and you can put as many white crosses and gnomes out there as you feel you need!!
Old 09-28-2019, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default Not sure if you are serious or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
That's good because sometimes I go out in my private back yard in a natural state.
But years ago we lived in an apartment. The kid upstairs got one of those electronic."musical instruments," and played it all weekend long staring at about 6am. I always ask politely ONCE.
The second time I went up in my underwear-it stopped permanently.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Always reminds me of the story of the lady who complained about a man and woman walking about nude in the house next door.
She was told that at the elevation her house was at, there was no way she could see into their window.
She replied, "When she puts a chair on the table and stands on that, she could just see them out of the very top of her window!"
Old 09-28-2019, 08:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I don't see anything in the Deed Restrictions for CYVs that allows exceptions. That being said no one has a right to enter your gated and walled yard to look around. Very gray area and I have found several instances where Community Standards is wrong in their interpretations. Number 1= their take on political flags (a cloth sign) being displayed on a flag pole.

Tags
backyard, approval, pavers, bush, review

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.