Bad renters

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyLife View Post
I bought a 3/2 CYV in Hadley which I’d like to rent Jan-March/April 2020. Any guidelines regarding selecting renters? Is there a list of blacklisted renters anywhere?
I owned short term vacation rentals in Myrtle Beach for 16 years. I always used a property manager who sent a cleaning crew in after each renter. Even with that, my rental units there always had damage and theft which I had to repair or replace annually. As such, the units were very vanilla because if you put something nice in there and it wasn't caught missing by the cleaning crew you were out of luck. Personally, with what I have seen,

Personally, I would never rent out a house short term that I ever intended to live in. We bought here and didn't actually move here for a year after purchase. It sat empty when we weren't here. Just not worth it.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyLife View Post
I bought a 3/2 CYV in Hadley which I’d like to rent Jan-March/April 2020. Any guidelines regarding selecting renters? Is there a list of blacklisted renters anywhere?
Back to one of our original questions.
I will ask it again and hope for some answers or guideline information.
Are there any rules about age?
Are there any rules about how long an underage 55 can rent a rental?
I noticed a 33yr old arrested stated he moved here so he could drive a golf cart and wouldn't need a driver's license because his has been suspended for a long time.
Now I see how these younger people are living here and get into trouble.
Any answers?
Old 08-10-2019, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeriteri View Post
I noticed a 33yr old arrested stated he moved here so he could drive a golf cart and wouldn't need a driver's license because his has been suspended for a long time.
Any answers?
First 2 questions, I would call Village Community standards 352-751-3912, if they cannot answer, they can direct to the correct party. I suspect there are no or few "rules", but there maybe some suggestions. I have never rented out a house, so I cannot give specific advice, just saying what I would do.
#3, the guy was wrong, under FL law, if you HAD a license, and it was revoked, you are not allowed to operate ANY motorized vehicle including a golf cart.
As for #4, we (your neighbors) hope you have a background check done on your renters.
Hope this goes well.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

As part of the screening process, I require drivers licenses .. Very simple for you to disregard anyone under 55, or any other age you select. Also well within your rights to require credit and background checks. Again, its your house.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:34 PM
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ and our beautiful house in The Village of Hillsborough

Always ask for a copy of the renter's Drivers License. This verifies the renter's name and their home address. Google their names for additional information... Amazing what comes up with a bit of research.
Also, when a prospective renter is speaking with you, ask lots of questions. Smokers? Pets? People to visit them? (If they plan on having visitors, there should be additional charges for each night a guest is there. Or you can restrict the rental to one couple - the people named on the rental contract). Visiting children or grandchildren? (Is the home that you are going to rent child friendly?) Ask the potential renters where they have previously rented and why they are not renting that home, again. With a lengthy conversation, you can get a good indication if they are the right renters for your home. Be picky! Remember, you are handing over the key to an expensive home.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:07 AM

Judy, have you any experience with rentals in The Villages?
Old 08-15-2019, 03:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeriteri View Post
Any answers?
The answer is pretty simple. You can rent to anyone who can own - so they have to be 19 or older. Anyone who rents to anyone that age is nuts.

I have been renting 2 homes for over 5 years. In that time we have had 2 couples under 60, and they were in their early 50s. For the most part, those who can rent a house for a month for the prices we charge are retired or partially retired, so they are all older.

To be honest, you guys need to chill out. Villages Renters are awesome people who leave the houses better than they found them. I have had renters rehang towel bars, rehang a picture that fell, and change the batteries in all the smoke detectors (I was informed of all of these as a courtesy AFTER they were done). We have withheld $50 from 2 renters deposits due to them not following the checkout instructions (and I felt bad, because the house was pretty clean, they just left more than one load of Laundry so I got charged more). These are people who can write checks for $6 or $8000 dollars a year ahead of their rental, they are a class of people who take care of things.

The big thing is to phone interview prospective tennants - you will know 10 minutes into the conversation if you should rent to them.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 08-16-2019, 06:50 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
The answer is pretty simple. You can rent to anyone who can own - so they have to be 19 or older. Anyone who rents to anyone that age is nuts.

I have been renting 2 homes for over 5 years. In that time we have had 2 couples under 60, and they were in their early 50s. For the most part, those who can rent a house for a month for the prices we charge are retired or partially retired, so they are all older.

To be honest, you guys need to chill out. Villages Renters are awesome people who leave the houses better than they found them. I have had renters rehang towel bars, rehang a picture that fell, and change the batteries in all the smoke detectors (I was informed of all of these as a courtesy AFTER they were done). We have withheld $50 from 2 renters deposits due to them not following the checkout instructions (and I felt bad, because the house was pretty clean, they just left more than one load of Laundry so I got charged more). These are people who can write checks for $6 or $8000 dollars a year ahead of their rental, they are a class of people who take care of things.

The big thing is to phone interview prospective tennants - you will know 10 minutes into the conversation if you should rent to them.
Mom and Dad rented in TVs for years. They ALWAYS left the property better than when they came. There are good renters.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Mom and Dad rented in TVs for years. They ALWAYS left the property better than when they came. There are good renters.
Yes, Indeed. In fact my case would be that 99.8% are good renters, I have not even met a bad one. Of course I interview first, but have only turned down 2 potential renters in 5 years.

Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 08-16-2019, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

My wife and I have rented here for 20+years and to my knowledge never had a background check, produced a driving licence or spoken to a landlord prior to signing any agreement.
We have always checked them to make sure they were legit' prior to handing over payment
Apart from one rental never seen or heard from agents representing them or any landlord whilst staying.
The only landlord we met proved to be a pest, who in the guise of doing repairs, kept popping in and checking practicaly every other day. Got fed up with them, (husband & wife team) had a quiete, but firm word, and insisted they notify us in advance of any so called repair work. They left us alone after that. Never went back to that rental.
We have always left a place cleaner and tidier than when we first moved in, and never had a problem in that regard.
Stayed at one place for eight years, and after year three landlord stopped charging us a cleaning fee!
I am sure the majority of longer period renters are similar to us, and the problems wil be with the daily/weekly type rentals.
Closed Thread

Tags
renters, selecting, guidelines, list, blacklisted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.