Bad renters

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2019, 08:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Be sure you know where they live and have information to track them down if need too.
If they own a home check the property records for the town they live in.
Check employer HR
Be sure to get a check with their name on it for a deposit and identy.
Be sure you know the local (FL) laws on renting and taxes
A problem the renter will have is knowing if you really own the property you are renting. The more they try and check you out I think the better they are likely to be. For example if you use a PO box they know nothing about you. If you use the address of your home they can check the owner on the county records.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

You are so right. One year I wanted to rent at Whistler B.C. in Canada. You would not believe the number of people who lived in Africa or Asia who wanted to rent to me!
Old 08-04-2019, 09:33 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
He also watches hydro and water usage. He can immediately tell if there are too many people in the building.
You can spot it in the water consumption. The same water monitoring devices that tell you of a leak do the same for extra occupancy. People use water at predicable rates. It's not the purpose of the monitors but they detect it as an anomaly of consumption.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I advise against this, they charge 17-20%, set the rent as they see fit, force you to use their proprietary services such as home watch, and lock you into a contract.

It has bad idea all written over it.
I agree with Toymeister on this one. Do your homework with renters and it is usually a pretty good strategy.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2019, 10:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
With a non US renter they should pay the entire amount of their stay before you give them the keys, that system seems to work in Hawaii for many. Including cleaning and damage deposit.
I have to say something. I have 2 rentals and one thing you ALWAYS do. It is 1/2 the rent with the lease and the rest 60 days before move in. Also, charge what everyone else is in high season. Last thing is talk to everyone on the phone before you do a lease. You will learn all you need to know. Don’t use the ripoff rental services anD ALWAYS charge a cleaning fee.

Don’t undercut the going rent. - your place will rent, they always do.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 08-04-2019, 10:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
HAHA! Your avatar befits you! Just funnin' ya. Us northerners ATTITUDE ain't all bad. Right Nucky?
You know Eddie Boy I don't wanna be a sell-out but when The ToyMeister is Correct he's Correct. I would rather deal with someone from elsewhere also.

I feel like I got outta N.J. in a Nick of Time. I had the Jersey Edge. It has Subsided.

Toymeister just saved me a bundle lately with the Generator.

I was a Great Landlord. There was no misinterpreting the rules of the Castle. My Collection Department (ME) was fierce. I got the money every time. Most of the time just with a look and a little story. That's the Jersey thing Meister is trying to avoid.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Last edited by Velvet; 08-05-2019 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Don't forget to collect sales tax
Old 08-05-2019, 08:11 AM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife

Many thanks to everyone who replied to me, I appreciate your input. Fingers crossed I will get it right. BTW I’m originally from Passaic, New Jersey and have rented in Daytona, Siesta Key, Naples and The Villages quite a few times. Trust me, we aren’t all drama queens/kings! LOL thanks again!
Old 08-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Good advice if you aren’t here

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, there are some local firms that will act as your agent, you may want to inquire which of these are reliable and cost effective. This might save you a lot of trouble.
Excellent advice if you don’t plan to be here in TV at the same time...
Old 08-05-2019, 08:30 AM

Thank you all so much, some great advice in these replies I must say, and as a newbie things I had not thought of. Much appreciated.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:14 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have two rentals for over 10 years. Now most of my tenants are repeats and I keep them rented 10 months a year. I have only had two bad tenants over that time period and they just left the place dirty. Didn't think about it and probably wouldn't change anything, but one from NY and one from NJ. Interesting.

Anyway I have rented and have repeat renters from Canada, Iceland, Germany, UK and Thailand with zero issues. From all tenants I get a decent deposit, $750 for the first month and $250 for each additional month unless they are a repeat, than only the $750. I get my rent the first day of the previous month. So January rent is due December 1. I have had very few problems with any tenant. A broken dish here and there and they always tell me, a golf cart not filled with gas when they leave, so I charge them for the gas and my time to fill it. And I don't work cheap. But all in all it has been a positive experience with very few problems. And both homes have been paid off with the rental income as I always put 100% of profits back into the homes. I am running out of things to upgrade at this point so probably time to sell them and buy new ones.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:50 AM

Thanks so much for your reply. Very positive.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:59 AM
Location: California, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, Morocco, Massachusetts, Buttonwood

How about some input from a "renter"? I have no way of knowing how many of us there are, but there is a population of long-term renters here. We choose to rent for various reasons. We pay amenities through our rent. We pay for all utilities and landscaping upkeep, again, through our rent. Same goes for water, trash, etc. We pay everything that the owner pays, plus his/her profit. We treat these homes as our own, and take a lot of pride in our community. It is very likely more expensive to rent long term, than it is to purchase. I hope that we are looked upon as true members of the community, and not just "renters". Given some of the comments here, I really don't know.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:51 PM

As a previous renter myself let me assure you I consider all the fellow renters I’ve had the pleasure to meet in TV are responsible, caring and look after the home they are renting with the same care and pride they would in their own home. My husband and I have been fortunate in becoming friends with the folks we have rented from. I have never invested as much as I have now in purchasing our villa and we only wish we could retire here full time, but we are from the U.K. and private healthcare for the 2 of us would simply be too expensive. Purchasing a villa means we will be able to come enjoy TV for a few months each year, hopefully twice a year, and hopefully rent it out in the peak months and again in between our own visits. For me it’s been kind of scary going for this venture, especially actually living so far away. I’m just trying to get as much info as I can to assist us, I certainly haven’t meant to cause any offence with any of my questions. I appreciate all the advice and information I’ve had here.
Closed Thread

Tags
renters, selecting, guidelines, list, blacklisted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.