Balloon bust !!

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2019, 08:49 PM
Default Balloon bust !!

Two articles recently have been published regarding how bad the hot air balloon event was conducted. The first lady talked of the total chaos she encountered. She arrived at 6:30 AM Friday, to watch the balloons arrive. Olly one showed up. She couldn't but a simple cup of coffee because the vendors did not open until 11:30.mShesaid, never again will she attend this event in the Villages.
Now for the second issue that concerns me greatly. A Villages resident said he was driving his golf cart on the Buena Vista cart path and decided to pull off onto the grass to join other who had done the same, to watch some of the activities at the polo fields. In just moments a Sumter Deputy drove his patrol car onto the grass shoulder and ordered him to leave. The deputy then drove his car onto the cart path and drove along the path ordering everyone to leave. MY QUESTION IS, Sheriff Farmer, does your Deputies have authorization to control golf carts that are along the cart paths which are not a part of the street ??? Was this possibly an act of bulling by one of your people ??
Old 06-02-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
Two articles recently have been published regarding how bad the hot air balloon event was conducted. The first lady talked of the total chaos she encountered. She arrived at 6:30 AM Friday, to watch the balloons arrive. Olly one showed up. She couldn't but a simple cup of coffee because the vendors did not open until 11:30.mShesaid, never again will she attend this event in the Villages.

Now for the second issue that concerns me greatly. A Villages resident said he was driving his golf cart on the Buena Vista cart path and decided to pull off onto the grass to join other who had done the same, to watch some of the activities at the polo fields. In just moments a Sumter Deputy drove his patrol car onto the grass shoulder and ordered him to leave. The deputy then drove his car onto the cart path and drove along the path ordering everyone to leave. MY QUESTION IS, Sheriff Farmer, does your Deputies have authorization to control golf carts that are along the cart paths which are not a part of the street ??? Was this possibly an act of bulling by one of your people ??
Absolutely. People should have asked exactly what code is being violated and how they have jurisdiction.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Being told that you aren't allowed to pull off of the MMP and park (out of the way of carts using the path, of course)?

Seriously?

The same MMP's that have permanent benches...to do exactly that?

I'm guessing that like a lot of other events where the police work off hours and are allowed to use their cop cars, this cop was told by the balloon organizers to try and stop anyone who might glimpse anything that looks like a flame, without paying...even from across the street.

Unless there's a LOT more to this story that isn't being told...it's a huge abuse of power.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:11 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

The weather, which can’t be controlled, created the greatest problem for this event. It was too hot and too windy. That’s not to say the event could not be improved.

No public events were to take place before 1pm Friday!

When I departed the Balloon festival on Saturday night while the glow was going on, I saw many golf carts lined up in the dark along the golf cart path on Buena Vista.

On Sunday, the balloon glow took place on the other polo field east of the pavilion. The sprinkler system was watering the other field. We vendors preferred this east field location as it was closer to our displays/tents to keep people near us.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:16 AM
Veteran member

I stayed away this year because I went to it last year, and I"M NOT KIDDING, it took us 1 hour to get from 466 to the Polo Fields on Buena Vista. I guess they weren't expecting such a big crowd, rude drivers were pulling into the left hand lane on BV and trying to cut people off at the entrance going in to the Polo Field that were correctly waiting in the right hand lane, it was a mess. Finally, someone came out to direct traffic and stop people from entering from the left hand lane but by then we had waiting about an hour.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:59 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
I stayed away this year because I went to it last year, and I"M NOT KIDDING, it took us 1 hour to get from 466 to the Polo Fields on Buena Vista. I guess they weren't expecting such a big crowd, rude drivers were pulling into the left hand lane on BV and trying to cut people off at the entrance going in to the Polo Field that were correctly waiting in the right hand lane, it was a mess. Finally, someone came out to direct traffic and stop people from entering from the left hand lane but by then we had waiting about an hour.
Those darn snowbirds.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Those darn snowbirds.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

We went on Friday evening. Though the weather meant there was no competition, they did do the glow, and it was beautiful. The organizers couldn’t control the weather, but did a great job with the food and drink choices. I think it was smart Sunday to move the glow to the fields with the vendors. That also meant watching the activities didn’t require staring into the sun. I’d go again next year.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post

Do you plan to contact Sheriff Farmer directly to ask this question?
Old 06-03-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Do you plan to contact Sheriff Farmer directly to ask this question?
True I am lazy.

Does anyone have a link so we can email the sheriff?

We should all.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:04 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by luperona9 View Post
True I am lazy.

Does anyone have a link so we can email the sheriff?

We should all.
The best way to stop this harassment is in the next ballot box that has Sherrif Farmer on it. If he can't control his own officers, who can he control?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:12 AM
Platinum member

With all due respect, that’s a cop out. A person with firsthand knowledge of what happened (not hearsay) needs to contact Sheriff and explain what they saw. Maybe he’s unaware. Who knows? If he authorized this, he needs to explain and know that his deputies are being watched and questioned. Taxpayers deserve an answer if Sheriff’s office is overstepping boundaries. Nothing positive will come from griping on an Internet board.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
With all due respect, that’s a cop out. A person with firsthand knowledge of what happened (not hearsay) needs to contact Sheriff and explain what they saw. Maybe he’s unaware. Who knows? If he authorized this, he needs to explain and know that his deputies are being watched and questioned. Taxpayers deserve an answer if Sheriff’s office is overstepping boundaries. Nothing positive will come from griping on an Internet board.
One person contacting the sheriff's office can be brushed off.

Serveral or many will result in the sherrif telling his officers not to let it happen again.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Right or wrong it's quite possible (probable?) this action was requested by TPTB possibly after someone complained about too many "free peeks".
Old 06-03-2019, 09:19 AM
Default Balloon Festival

We bought VIP tickets for the Balloon Festival - $250 each. We were sent tickets & info in the mail. But we did not get a VIP car pass so we had to fight with the parking person each time we entered the VIP area. We were assured that there would be shuttle service from our car to the VIP tent. Not true. My husband has difficulty walking distances and that is why we bought VIP tickets. I had to flag down a garbage cart for a ride for my husband. One volunteer used her own golf cart to help my husband. Every volunteer was friendly & helpful but they were clueless about where things were and what was going on. The VIP tent & food -- excellent! However we never knew when lunch or dinner was being served. I didn't know until Sunday evening that the VIP had a special bathroom as there was no sign on the trailer. The bathrooms were BEAUTIFUL and clean. The VIP tickets did not include drinks. I should think for $250 PER PERSON we'd get a voucher for 2 or 3 drinks. We even had to pay for soft drinks and water. The bands played too loud constantly and there was no variety of music. How about some 50's songs?
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, drove, path, car, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.