Balloon bust !!

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2019, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
I stayed away this year because I went to it last year, and I"M NOT KIDDING, it took us 1 hour to get from 466 to the Polo Fields on Buena Vista. I guess they weren't expecting such a big crowd, rude drivers were pulling into the left hand lane on BV and trying to cut people off at the entrance going in to the Polo Field that were correctly waiting in the right hand lane, it was a mess. Finally, someone came out to direct traffic and stop people from entering from the left hand lane but by then we had waiting about an hour.
Key point....last year.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
Two articles recently have been published regarding how bad the hot air balloon event was conducted. The first lady talked of the total chaos she encountered. She arrived at 6:30 AM Friday, to watch the balloons arrive. Olly one showed up. She couldn't but a simple cup of coffee because the vendors did not open until 11:30.mShesaid, never again will she attend this event in the Villages.
Now for the second issue that concerns me greatly. A Villages resident said he was driving his golf cart on the Buena Vista cart path and decided to pull off onto the grass to join other who had done the same, to watch some of the activities at the polo fields. In just moments a Sumter Deputy drove his patrol car onto the grass shoulder and ordered him to leave. The deputy then drove his car onto the cart path and drove along the path ordering everyone to leave. MY QUESTION IS, Sheriff Farmer, does your Deputies have authorization to control golf carts that are along the cart paths which are not a part of the street ??? Was this possibly an act of bulling by one of your people ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Do you plan to contact Sheriff Farmer directly to ask this question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by luperona9 View Post
True I am lazy.

Does anyone have a link so we can email the sheriff?

We should all.
Welcome to the Sumter County Sheriff's Office Website
Old 06-03-2019, 02:54 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Two articles recently have been published regarding how bad the hot air balloon event was conducted. The first lady talked of the total chaos she encountered. She arrived at 6:30 AM Friday, to watch the balloons arrive. Olly one showed up. She couldn't but a simple cup of coffee because the vendors did not open until 11:30.mShesaid, never again will she attend this event in the Villages.
Now for the second issue that concerns me greatly. A Villages resident said he was driving his golf cart on the Buena Vista cart path and decided to pull off onto the grass to join other who had done the same, to watch some of the activities at the polo fields. In just moments a Sumter Deputy drove his patrol car onto the grass shoulder and ordered him to leave. The deputy then drove his car onto the cart path and drove along the path ordering everyone to leave. MY QUESTION IS, Sheriff Farmer, does your Deputies have authorization to control golf carts that are along the cart paths which are not a part of the street ??? Was this possibly an act of bulling by one of your people ??

Yes they do have authorization. If there is a golf cart accident on the mmp who do you think investigates and press charges.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post

Yes they do have authorization. If there is a golf cart accident on the mmp who do you think investigates and press charges.
Da Police, that's who!
Old 06-03-2019, 04:38 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts
Default Blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Those darn snowbirds.
Yep, have to blame the snowbirds for anything that is a mess.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Being told that you aren't allowed to pull off of the MMP and park (out of the way of carts using the path, of course)?

Seriously?

The same MMP's that have permanent benches...to do exactly that?

-<clip>-

Are you saying the permanent benches were put there for golf cart drivers to park and rest? I thought they were for people walking/running/biking/walking dogs or cats who want to sit down and relax and look at the view.

If that's the case they should put charging stations at each bench for us electric cart drivers.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luperona9 View Post
One person contacting the sheriff's office can be brushed off.

Serveral or many will result in the sherrif telling his officers not to let it happen again.
A group of carts parked along the MMP in the grass. Why should we believe that this should not be adressed again in the future.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Are you saying the permanent benches were put there for golf cart drivers to park and rest? I thought they were for people walking/running/biking/walking dogs or cats who want to sit down and relax and look at the view.
They are there for all the above.

Have yet to see any signs saying; "Reserved for...."

Quote:
If that's the case they should put charging stations at each bench for us electric cart drivers.
And gas pumps/air compressors/windshield squeegees/Etc./Etc.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
With all due respect, that’s a cop out. A person with firsthand knowledge of what happened (not hearsay) needs to contact Sheriff and explain what they saw. Maybe he’s unaware. Who knows? If he authorized this, he needs to explain and know that his deputies are being watched and questioned. Taxpayers deserve an answer if Sheriff’s office is overstepping boundaries. Nothing positive will come from griping on an Internet board.
I posted the original comments. I was not a party to the issue but I did post the experience of two persons who actually shared their experience. Both letters were signed by name. The person who shared the deputy making everyone move from the grass along the cart path stated he is a Villages resident and was one of those directed to move along.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post

Wait a minute. There was no accident so that isn't a question.. So why is it that Cops cannot give you a speeding ticket for driver on the non street cart paths. We residents own these golf cart paths, it is private property. There are benches in these grassy areas for people who would like to take a break and sit awhile.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
While I do not think any law was broken WRT golf carts specifically I honestly don't think the grass along the MMP was ever intended as a parking lot for golf carts. For a quick stop for an "emergency" like to check a map or answer a call or maybe even make a U-turn possibly but not for parking dozens of carts. As for whether local PD had or has authority to chase people away if it was given to them by TPTB in that specific circumstance they likely would. I honestly don't believe it was ever "officially" intended for golf cart PARKING. For one thing, eventually a lot of use would destroy the grass near those rest stops, I mean benches.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:28 AM

Was balloon fest ok on Saturday?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Have yet to see any signs saying; "Reserved for...." [/SIZE]

And gas pumps/air compressors/windshield squeegees/Etc./Etc.
Do you see humor in this problem ???
Old 06-04-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
While I do not think any law was broken WRT golf carts specifically I honestly don't think the grass along the MMP was ever intended as a parking lot for golf carts. For a quick stop for an "emergency" like to check a map or answer a call or maybe even make a U-turn possibly but not for parking dozens of carts. As for whether local PD had or has authority to chase people away if it was given to them by TPTB in that specific circumstance they likely would. I honestly don't believe it was ever "officially" intended for golf cart PARKING. For one thing, eventually a lot of use would destroy the grass near those rest stops, I mean benches.
Get real, this was not being used as a parking lot. It was a one time happening that probably would have occurred for just minutes.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Do you see humor in this problem ???
Excuse me?

Please take the time to read ALL of my posts (particularly post #3)...in this thread.

The "humor" was simply in response to providing plug-ins for electric carts (ridiculous of course)...at the benches on the MMP's.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, drove, path, car, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.