Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Those darn snowbirds.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
Get real, this was not being used as a parking lot. It was a one time happening that probably would have occurred for just minutes.
Since you were not there and read it on the internet you really have no idea how long (or how many) were parked there. Just because someone said it on the internet does not make it accurate. If it was "just minutes" the carts would have been gone before the gendarme actually arrived. The intent was obviously to watch the show from outside. OBVIOUSLY someone called in the swat team with a complaint and if they were given permission by TPTB then they did nothing (legally) wrong. If they just did it on their own volition then they should answer for it. Personally I think it was a dumb move but the question was not whether it was dumb or smart but how they decided to do it. If they were given "official" permission they did nothing wrong whether anyone liked it or not.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Since you were not there and read it on the internet you really have no idea how long (or how many) were parked there. Just because someone said it on the internet does not make it accurate. If it was "just minutes" the carts would have been gone before the gendarme actually arrived. The intent was obviously to watch the show from outside. OBVIOUSLY someone called in the swat team with a complaint and if they were given permission by TPTB then they did nothing (legally) wrong. If they just did it on their own volition then they should answer for it. Personally I think it was a dumb move but the question was not whether it was dumb or smart but how they decided to do it. If they were given "official" permission they did nothing wrong whether anyone liked it or not.
You continue to miss the point a bit. The gentleman who was made to move along wrote his experience in a local letter. I wish I remember where it was published. My point of forwarding his issue was to point out something obvious, The sheriff's department in my research has no authority over golf cart paths that are on private property. For example, let's suppose some of the residents came out into their backyards, sat down in a lawn chair and proceeded to look toward the polo fields. Do the deputies have the authority to bully these folk and make them go inside their homes. It is all about private property.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
You continue to miss the point a bit. The gentleman who was made to move along wrote his experience in a local letter. I wish I remember where it was published. My point of forwarding his issue was to point out something obvious, The sheriff's department in my research has no authority over golf cart paths that are on private property. For example, let's suppose some of the residents came out into their backyards, sat down in a lawn chair and proceeded to look toward the polo fields. Do the deputies have the authority to bully these folk and make them go inside their homes. It is all about private property.
Not "all about" private property. It's more a matter of local ordinances. I don't know what those ordinances are, haven't looked them up.

But you can be sure that if someone commits an actual crime on one of those golf cart paths, it absolutely positively falls under the jurisdiction of the Sheriff's office. Murders, robbery, assault, battery, theft, shooting up illegal substances, are all fair game for the police to handle if it's brought to their attention.

No idea what, if any, authority they'd have over golf carts lining up on the side of the golf cart path to watch an event for free, that others paid for the privilege of watching. But to say "it's all about private property" is inaccurate.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
No way that you should compare sitting in your back yard with sitting next to the MMP on district property.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
No way that you should compare sitting in your back yard with sitting next to the MMP on district property.
Why not, the owners of those multi modal pathways are you and I … Sumter County doesn't own this property, the Sheriff doesn't own these properties , you and I are the owners.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Why not, the owners of those multi modal pathways are you and I … Sumter County doesn't own this property, the Sheriff doesn't own these properties , you and I are the owners.

Agree. Unless this was an unruly mob involved in illegal activities, what was the big deal? Sounds like deputies may have too much time on their hands.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Agree. Unless this was an unruly mob involved in illegal activities, what was the big deal? Sounds like deputies may have too much time on their hands.

I also would bet that the deputies were 'moonlighting' and being paid by the balloon show folks...not officially on-duty.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:04 PM

Just to throw some fly**** into the pepper, if they have this thing next year, why not just form up a line of carts and drive along the MMP - you can keep a bit of eye on what is happening over there. Get to the end of the MMP, turn around and drive back - again keeping a bit of eye on what is happening. When you get to the other end (actually not the end but as far as you want to go), turn around again (using a street off the MMP) and again head the other direction. Kind of silly? Yep, sure is. But you can't stop people from driving on the MMP. Just don't pull off and turn the grass into a parking lot and upsetting someone. Of course then we would have lots of people running into or over other people because they're paying too much attention to the balloon area rather than what might be in front of them on the MMP. Can't win. . . Oh well, guess people will just have to blow the balloon thing off and go somewhere else to have a nice day.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:03 PM
Sage

So everyone is up in arms over one person's post about a "letter" that cannot be found about something that allegedly happened of which we are hearing one person's (the alleged letter writer's) OPINION of how s/he perceived it. No one on the internet ever blows things out of proportion. Yea, ain't the internet wonderful.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
We also "own" The White House but I can''t get a room there when we are in town and I know there are vacancies when I'll be there. My travel agent says the Lincoln Bedroom should be available but they won't let me stay. The "we own" theory sounds sweet but really has been beaten to death over the centuries and holds very little H2O.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, drove, path, car, watch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.