Missing topic

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Default Missing topic

There was a topic heading, " New incentives" by Sandi which I posted a response to around noon today. Now the post is no where to be found. There were at least 5 or 6 responses. Has anyone seen anything like this happen before?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Default Re: Missing topic

Maybe TOTV is just like The Daily Sun and just publish what they want ! !
Old 11-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Gold member

I didn't remove the post but one of the other admins must have. I did see the post and it was linked to commercial advertising for homes on The Villages web site. TOTV does not allow commercial posts as we do offer paid banner advertising. The topic did fall into a gray area as I believe the post was not made by a commercial vendor. None the less, TOTV is open to advertising from "The Villages" or any other local business. It not free though, just as it's not free to us when we advertise TOTV on other mediums.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Sage

There are all kinds of links to the Villages website throughout TOTV - maybe the TOTV name should be changed as it is an ad for the Villages.

Guess chacam was right.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-07-2007, 09:12 PM

All I did was list the web address to the news letter so everyone could see the new deals. Come on guys.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Gold member

Removing a topic is not always a popular decision and we try to keep it to an absolute minimum. It's nothing personal. Running TOTV does not come free nor does the rather expensive new sever we had to purchase to keep TOTV speedy for all the members.

It's not a fair statement to make that we "only publish what we want." Anyone on TOTV is free to post anything they wish as long as it's not commercial, vulgar, offensive or generally in poor taste. No commercial posts are a rule that we've had in place since day one. Sometimes it's a judgment call.

My apologies if anyone was offended or confused by the removed topic.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Founder

I encourage your discussion about this.And I would like to add to what Darrel has said. We have approached nearly all of the real estate companies in the area and have explained that advertising on TOTV is a good way to reach prospective home buyers. None of them have taken advantage of the opportunity. We have approached the Villages about using TOTV as an added tool to reach residents. They have declined.

We attempted to buy an ad in the Daily Sun and we were rejected.

We encourage all members and guests to posts topics and discuss whatever they wish. Even if it is a discussion about the administrators of this forum. Believe me, we are trying our best to make this a good community forum. The administrators have spent nearly $10,000 dollar of their own money setting it up and keeping it running. We have put in almost 5,000 hours in administration time.

The reason we have advertising is to help pay back some of the start up expense. To date, we have made nothing. Our advertising revenue is just enough to keep the forum going and has paid back not one penny of the startup expense. We hope someday to make some kind of profit.

Look at it from our point of view, and we will look at yours. We see that real estate advertising could be one of our biggest revenue producers. If the information can be posted at no cost, then why would anybody purchase an ad. We allow links to other Villages activities because we are a Villages forum. There is a line somewhere and we are trying to find it. Please be patient with us too. This is new and we want to do what is right.

BTW, we received several emails of compaint from members about the posting in question. I didn't even get a chance to see it myself, but I understand why it may have been removed.

I feel it unfair to compare us to the recent actions of the Daily Sun. We wanted to "purchase" advertising space and they rejected us. If this was a radio talk show, and a caller started listing homes for sale, the host would end the call. It's not censorship, it's just an effort to protect our investment. We may fall short in the eyes of some here, but we'll keep trying. Please don't compare this action, or us, to any other power plays that may abound.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Gold member

Well, it that's the case I understand.
Question is why hasn't what I believe is the same link on the thread : Bought new Home- promotion? been removed?
Seems there is a fine line about what is advertising and what is just info sharing. Maybe if we have information about links, such as the TV newsletter, that could be construed as advertising, they should be conveyed via personal messgaes.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beady
Question is why hasn't what I believe is the same link on the thread : Bought new Home- promotion? been removed?
You are absolutely right. By the same measure, we should have removed it. Unfortunately, we didn't know about it and nobody reported it.

I hesitate to remove it now for fear that it will cause people to think we are censoring. We are not.

I ask the members: What should we do? In view of the fact that we desperately need advertising revenue, should we allow links to houses for sale? If we do allow links to real estate for sale, then every agent for 100 miles around will be posting here free of charge. You guys decide and we'll try to conform. We really do care.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:49 PM

Host - I also noticed that the link referred to is posted under the subject "Bought new home - Promotion?" and also under the post titled "Courtyard Villa Question/Concern".

My personal opinion - Allowing links for commercial real estate should not be allowed since the well being and continuance of The Talk of the Villages website depends upon selling advertising space.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Veteran member

IMHO, the web link should be kept. After all, I think we are all here to share info, help each other, learn from each other and have fun. Many of us who are hoping to relocate to TV can certainly use information regarding "deals" on homes.

TOTV will never get ad income from TV's Daily Sun. That's a given. But, that's no reason to withhold helpful information from our TOTV community.

The Villages will learn a lesson in the future. Let's not forget, many of us "young" retirees were quite vocal in our youth. Remember those Viet Nam War protests? As time goes on, more of us will be in TV. Maybe we'll bring more than our music. :
Old 11-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I think you did the correct thing. Yes, this site is extremely informational and downright useful. That doesn't mean you should simply give the horse the bit and let it run so to speak. You have a right to draw limits. People need to remember that this is YOUR site and you can (and should) stop what you deem inappropriate.

It is extremely easy to find the site for The Villages' properties. You can even get there from the recreational site that is posted in TOTV -- it is all part of the management of The Villages' site. So, with minimal effort, people can get this information. There is absolutely no reason for you to post it for them.

I do see the problem, however. Realtor links cannot be mentioned. Links to other businesses seem to be okay. Restaurants are mentioned by name. Service people are mentioned by individual and company names along with phone numbers. These are all potential sources of revenue. It may be time for the moderators to get together and make some serious decisions about what can/cannot be mentioned and then give us members the guidelines.

No matter what, to compare your actions to what The Daily Sun did in not accepting your ad is not only not fair, it is downright wrong and, IMHO, on this side of mean! You didn't deserve that.

So, here's a big thank you for all you and your friends have provided to us. It is truly appreciated. :bigthumbsup:

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Sage

I also originally thought the topic was a 'plant' by a TV agent. It may not have been but it is the type of thing that the admins need to keep out.

It is a very fine line because there is ample opportunity for business to 'plant' on this forum as they do allow us to point out services and companies that do good work etc.

It's a tough job but the admins do it well IMHO.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Veteran member

I understand and support your point. You are right, if the incentive program were allowed, who would pay for future ads? What I don't understand is, if this incentive program isn't allowed, then why wasn't the furniture giveaway topic pulled too??

:
Village of Hemmingway
Old 11-08-2007, 01:11 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy D
What I don't understand is, if this incentive program isn't allowed, then why wasn't the furniture giveaway topic pulled too??

:
Well, that's a good question. I guess becuase it is a topic that affects so many people and is of general interest. Plus it's unusual. I don't believe that the discussion in and of itself was an advertisement to purchase. It was an interesting adjunct to a special offer being made. I guess in the truest sense of the rule, it should have been pulled too, but we are going to have to judge each one and make a decision. I can see now that there will be times that we are not popular.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.