Proportion of full time and part time residents

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Veteran member
Default Proportion of full time and part time residents

One of our concerns in considering living in the Villages as full-timers is the proportion of full-timers, snow-birds, and rentals that will be in our immediate area.

Our preference is for an area with the great majority of homes (e.g. 80% plus) occupied by full time residents. We would hate to think we are living in a mostly empty neighborhood part of the year or in a rental neighborhood.

What type of neighborhood (villas, or traditional) or age of neighborhood (new, 2 years old 5 years old, etc) would be most likely to have a large majority of permanant, full-time residents?

When a neighborhood gets to be 4, 5 or 6 years old, does the occupancy tend to change to become comprised of more snowbirds, more rentals, or more full time folk?
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Default Re: Proportion of full time, part time, and rentals

Very good question. As a future permanent resident in TV I never thought of that issue, which I know think is very important. Thank you. Lets see if someone give us their advise.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Proportion of full time, part time, and rentals

The other retirement location we are considering is a condo we already own in Brevard, NC. My concern about that location is that most of our neighbors head south for a good part of the year, mostly in the winter. Some only stay for a few months. (They obviously have more money for retirement than we do.) Not that we wouldn't enjoy the peace and quiet of having the place mostly to ourselves, but we wouldn't want a ghost town neighborhood, either.

I think we would enjoy a fully occupied neighborhood - it provides a better sense of community and neighborliness.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 11-09-2007, 12:59 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Proportion of full time and part time residents

Can anyone share their observations of how much full time vs. part time home occupancy there is in various neighborhoods? :dontknow:
Old 11-09-2007, 01:20 AM

One would think as this community is for active adults 55+ that the fulltime-partimers are scattered throughout and that no accurate way can be done unless by cencus there isn't anyway to tell.

However a great way to find out would be used home. Pick one you like and knock on all your potential nighbors doors and ask.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I live in a patio villa in Santo Domingo Village. I understand these were originally built to be used as rentals. If the street I live on is typical, it is about 50% rental, 50% homeowners. Of the renters, about 40% are full-timers. In talking to neighbors, it seems that about one in 10 homes stands empty at any time and then only for a month or two at the most. Most of the part-time renters come back year after year.

Personally, I think the mix is nice. It gives you a chance to meet new people as well as having people who are "true" neighbors. Right now, there is a gentleman renting from England; two snowbirds from Michigan and Minnesota; and the nicest lady from Germany. I understand the English gentleman will be leaving at the end of this month and the owners will then be here for the next 3 months. I hope the owners are as nice as he is!

I know many will disagree but to me part of the charm of TV is the snowbirds and occasional visitors. It is a chance to meet new people from many places who aren't just tourists rather than an occasional new neighbor. At the same time, I have a chance to become friends with those that are here permanently. It is the best of both worlds.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-09-2007, 01:58 AM
Veteran member

We are in Rio Grande Villas (older CY neighborhood north of 466). For the next couple of years while we are still working we will be renting ours except for the month of March. However, we were down there for a week at the end of May, another week and the end of August, and about 5 days in October. During all those time there seemed to be lots of people around. We were pretty busy furnishing, golf cart shopping, etc, so I've only met a few of my neighbors. But from the ones I have met, there is a real community feel. My new neighbors may not have been thrilled to hear we'd be renting our place, but they sure didn't let on. And I did see a few For Rent signs in windows -- not many, but a few.

BTW, our neighborhood was built in 1993-4. I find it hard to really think of it as an older neighborhood! Our place is just wonderful!

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.