Banking

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2017, 10:33 AM
Veteran member

We have used BB&T for many years including before we moved to TV. There are a number of locations in and around TV (as well as throughout the Southeast), and at least 2 are golf cart accessible (Colony and Southern Trace). I really like their online banking, very easy to use in all respects. We have a Home Equity line with them also and it was very easy to obtain and an excellent rate.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Thanks to all for your helpful information. I'm pretty sure Citizen's First would be the bank I would go to.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:42 PM

moved here 5 years ago from Connecticut opened a savings account an checking with Citizen's . Have been very happy with them do not pay my bills online write a check every month works for me keeps the U S Post office working.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Citizens First. Almost everything is free there. Excellent service, great popcorn. No minimum deposits, no direct deposit required. Lots of ATMs and branches in TV but nothing outside.
I was initially a little leery about banking with a bank owned by the Morse family. I mean, I paid them enough for the house and the CDDs and the amenities and for movie tickets at their theaters (though actually the prices are very fair), do I have to bank with them as well? I reluctantly joined because our bank (Wells Fargo) has only two locations in the area, neither all that close to our house where the Citizens bank has locations all over and lots of ATMs, including one at our mail stop. But now that I've dealt with folks at a couple of locations for several bits of business, I have to admit that they have some of the best staff I have ever encountered at any bank anywhere. And my wife likes the popcorn. So we heartily recommend them.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Wells Fargo has treated me fairly for a bunch of years so I stayed with them. When we pruchased the "hard sell" for Citizens was a turn off. Their rates were equal at the time. As stated earlier, why would you change if you have a National Bank....most all of them are here someplace. Shop terms and rates and how technology advanced they are and then compare and pick the one you feel best about.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-22-2017, 05:08 PM
Gold member

I am thinking of leaving most of banking stuff as is. I hate to even think about having to setup all the automatic payments, direct deposits and online banking I do now again. I hardly ever have to go the bank in person for anything anymore so I don't see a reason I have to have a brick and mortar place to go to for most of what I do. I will move one small account I have down there just in case I have to cash a check, get a cashier's check or something like that. We'll see how that works out for awhile and adjust if needed.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

While I have had some issues with Bank of America over the years, because of their size, plethora of locations and fairly easy online banking...I've decided to stick with them.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Have had BOA for more years than I can count. We also have a citizens account, however you must make timely deposits or your account is closed.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:27 PM

Chase is everywhere. One in each section of the villages when the one opens up on 44. Also throughout the U.S..
Old 05-22-2017, 06:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
As stated earlier, why would you change if you have a National Bank.
I never said it was a national bank. My current bank is a small local area bank.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:42 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Once you move here look for the closets bank to your home if you are just looking for a place to cash or deposit a check. Do you want a safety deposit box?
Best answer.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

We stayed with our local Ohio bank for many things as I know them and they know me. Plus, we are stockholders. For a local bank we took Chase up on their $500 offer. They are both national and have many nearby locations.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:56 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Be aware of FDIC rules for the limit of $insurability$ on your funds. Check with the bank you select for a very clear explanation. We use Chase and Citizens First but at the end of this year we will decide on one or the other. Both are great but Citizens is clearly the choice if you use the ATM often. Best of luck to you on your potential move.

Almost forgot, Chase bank is offering $500 for new checking & savings accounts with a lot of small print on the agreement. Check it out, you can print the needed paperwork at home and bring it to the bank they will not print it for you.
My guess is that somewhere in that small print it might say that "signing bonus" is taxable.....

I know someone who took Chase up on one of those offers, and months later, when she had forgotten all about it, an unexpected 1099 showed up. Just in case -- and I have good reason to think I am right (blush) -- you might want to make a note of it in your tax prep file so you don't already have your taxes all finished -- or almost -- and then along comes a 1099 you were not expecting and then you have to say a whole bunch of bad words.

Last edited by Boomer; 05-23-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:50 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Bb&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsdavis View Post
We have used BB&T for many years including before we moved to TV. There are a number of locations in and around TV (as well as throughout the Southeast), and at least 2 are golf cart accessible (Colony and Southern Trace). I really like their online banking, very easy to use in all respects. We have a Home Equity line with them also and it was very easy to obtain and an excellent rate.
Another vote for BB&T. Although, no popcorn 🍿 there!
Old 05-23-2017, 09:12 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Be aware of FDIC rules for the limit of $insurability$ on your funds. Check with the bank you select for a very clear explanation.
I assume you're referring to the 250k limit. I'm well aware.
Closed Thread

Tags
bank, recommendations, seniors, deal, buying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.