Confused about the Buying Process

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Sage
Default Confused about the Buying Process

We are coming down next month to pick out a lot. I'm so very confused as to how this works and don't feel we are getting good answers from our salesperson. We are told that we can pick the lot now and have to build in a year. But we can't sit down and set up the home until after the week after we leave in June as the "new" design center will be ready then. How do I pick a lot if I don't know what the price of the house is????

We know what house we want to build and how we want it. How do we get a list of upgrade costs?

Why aren't we getting answers from our sales person?

Has anyone had problems with this or will all become clear???
Old 05-22-2011, 07:10 PM

We put a deposit on our lot in April. Before we selected our lot we toured several models with our agent that would meet our needs. She was very good and really paid attention to what we liked and didn't like. We told her which model we would like to have and she took us the next day to see a few lots that we might like. We selected one and she was able, by the time we made the deposit, give us a price of the house with lot and the options we liked. It's not final of course. We can make changes to the house when we go down to sign the paperwork to start the building process. According to our agent we can even change lots if we desire.

The reason your agent may not be able to give you a definate price is because some lots are more desirable then others and thus carry a premium which would be added to the price of the house.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPete View Post
We put a deposit on our lot in April. Before we selected our lot we toured several models with our agent that would meet our needs. She was very good and really paid attention to what we liked and didn't like. We told her which model we would like to have and she took us the next day to see a few lots that we might like. We selected one and she was able, by the time we made the deposit, give us a price of the house with lot and the options we liked. It's not final of course. We can make changes to the house when we go down to sign the paperwork to start the building process. According to our agent we can even change lots if we desire.

The reason your agent may not be able to give you a definate price is because some lots are more desirable then others and thus carry a premium which would be added to the price of the house.

Hope this helps.
Exactly! I had the same experience with a great salesperson. Contact your sales agent and my guess is your questions will be answered. I've had nothing but positive experiences with my TV sales agent and her assistant.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Sage

Hi Angiefox10,

Welcome to TOTV! I'm excited for you that you are looking to build a home here in Lower Paradise. The people, amenities, beauty and lifestyle are unmatched!

Others who purchased a lot on which to build can probably answer better than I, but here are some suggestions that might help:

• If you don't have a comfort level with your TV sales agent, you might consider calling the sales office and requesting a different one. TOTVers who built recently could no doubt recommend a helpful agent.
  • Look on TV website to get a "starting at" price for model home you would like to build. http://www.thevillages.com/homes/buildNew.asp. You might have to copy and paste this link into your browser.
  • Remember that your purchase price will include the land, the home with any upgrades and the bond.
I'm sure there are many TOTVers who can tell you what upgrades are available. All best wishes to you!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Sage

OK.. That makes sense...

I was concerned because I was afraid that we would be expected to pick out a lot without a clue as to the final price with the house. Like you, and I'm sure many others moving to the villages, we have scoured the homes and know exactly what home we want and many of the upgrades. Without having a clue as to the price of the house, I don't know how I can pick a lot Seemed like putting the cart before the horse! I think what you said makes sense....
Old 05-23-2011, 12:13 AM

Angie: that mid-June date brings a price increase. Your sales rep might not want to work up a quote today when tomorrow renders that work useless.

That said, however, despite the price increase, your sales rep should be professionally capable of addressing your concerns at some decent level of competency.

I agree with other posters: you should request another rep. I highly recommend the sales associate who is currently helping wifey and me navigate the troubling waters you all are heading towards. She has been super patient and max competent throughout. (you have read about some of my experience in another thread; Sharon is the reason why we haven't crashed and burned.)

You will address a ton-a TON!- of things that will be much more involved, considerably more confusing, and frequently frustrating than merely selecting a model and upgrades. To share what I've learned from personal experience the last 2 days exceeds my iPhone input dexterity skills.

The first 2 things: lot size will control the type of exterior upgrades you would be able to do 2. Lot type drives cost, with an increase that ranges over $150k and higher.

If you and spouse would like more info you may pm me with a number at which to contact you all (presuming I can figure out how to receive/retrieve a pm) OR you could wait 'til I get home to my desktop pc on Tuesday and I will provide info OR you could contact Sharon at the TV sales office.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:56 AM

Angie, don't over stress about this. Just one day at a time.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Veteran member

TV will not give you a price list for each upgrade. When you are ready to build tell the agent what you want and you will get a total price. If the price is more than you want to spend then subtract an item or two and you will get another price. Each time you ask for a new price it may take as many as 4 to 5 days. If the the prices are going up on a certain day you must finalize by that day. They will not say the tile costs $X.00, upgraded carpet is X.00. You take an item off your list and they come back with a package price. They are set in their ways,so be prepared.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Default buying process

Your rep should be able to answer all your questions. What you need to know is the following:
* house to be built (cottage, premier, etc) This will determine the area that you can choose a lot from.
* some lots have a premium for size and or location
* each house has a base price no upgrades
* upgrades are added on the spot and a new price is quoted which includes the lot you have chosen

The rep will have the premium of each lot as you look in each area. Once you select the lot then add the base price of the house and go from there.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Veteran member

Quite a process - and for those who definitely want a new home - well worth the process.

When I moved to The Villages in October, 2009, I really wanted to be in my new house in Florida before January 1, 2010, so I would not be paying anymore Maryland taxes. Therefore, I could not wait for a new home to be built. The re-sale market was perfect for me. I used both a Villages agent and an outside agent so I could see both Villages and MLS listings; found the perfect home; and was in it by October (about 45 days after signing the contract); and my Maryland home was sold in 8 days.

Welcome to The Villages. It is a great lifestyle. Whatever processes you have to go through, it is well worth it to finally be in this slice of Heaven.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:00 PM

ask for Leonard Piasano. We liked him, He seemed to know what he was talking about. I have bought and sold a few houses in my lifetime. I was in the building business up north
Old 05-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Smile New Home Pricing

We are closing on our new house in Buttonwood on June3rd. Our sales rep is Christie Graham. She is great. We have been working on this for a couple of years.

When we decided what model we wanted we sat down to get an idea what possible upgrades there were and what we wanted. She was able o give us pricing while we talked.

The biggest issue is the site. It not only changes the cost depending on the type of lot (interior, corner, golf, water, etc.) but determines whether some options like golf cart garages or spas can be install on the site.

The interior and exterior finishes are the biggest time consumers and may be the problem for your rep. Each level of finish (cabinets, countertop, lighting, flooring, etc.) changes the price. Before we committed to building, Christie gave us an estimate and used finish levels that she thought would work for us.

Don't stress to much. Talk to your rep and tell them you need an estimate so you can plan and decide. If they have trouble getting you the estimate, then you might want to go "over there head".

Good Luck
Old 05-31-2011, 07:11 AM

We bought a pre-owned, but when we started we were looking at new. Our salesman had a list of the upgrade prices in his briefcase. The sales people work with these homes on a daily basis. If they are paying attention they should have a good idea on upgrade costs. If they can't give you at least a ballpark price, I would be looking for a different sales person.

Bob
Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Hi,

In addition to the rep having an idea about the cost of homes, s/he can also show you lot prices. On every map of areas open for building, there is a "lot premium" entered on the lot. Each sales rep has these maps.

If you would like to chat about this, send me a PM....

k

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.