Barking Dog!!!

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2019, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts
Default Barking Dog!!!

I have never heard a barking dog in Mallory.......until today. The dog barked non stop (with 10 second breaks about every 5 minutes) for nearly 2 hours that I heard. I went outside on this glorious day to do yard work and the dog was already barking off in the distance so who knows how long the dog had been barking already. The dog was probably 2 or 3 blocks away from me but was still so very annoying! I can imagine how awful it must have been for neighbors on the same street.

How can a homeowner allow the dog to bark and disturb the beautiful peaceful environment we have here in The Villages? The only thing I can think of is the pet owner left the dog unattended, probably on a screened in lanai or worse yet.....tied to a tree.

Will Community Watch do anything about a disturbance such as this if I call them (if it happens again)?

Last edited by coffeebean; 02-16-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:57 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

Could be someone visiting with their dog and don't realize that it's barking while they are gone, could be renters, could be lots of things. Personally if I lived nearby I would call the sheriff as I believe they are the enforcement arm that would deal with barking dogs or dogs not on leashes.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:27 PM
Gold member

We had this problem in another community we lived in. Find out what the noise ordinance is in Sumter County. To report the dog you will probably need to know the address and the sheriff's office will need to be there when it is occurring and witness the violation if it is like where we lived. Very difficult.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:45 PM

We had this problem with the neighbors behind us; they would leave a dog out in their screened in pool area all day, and it would bark and whine the whole time. Finally got the chance to let them know, and it hasn't happened again. Try talking to the owners.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Neighbors and Noise FAQ | Nolo.com

This has a good section about what to do about noisy animals.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:17 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

There is a woman in our neighborhood that does not leash her dog, I told her on 3 occasions that it had to be leashed and she accused me of harassing her and then gave me the finger. She must have been a unloved child that turned into a real B. One of the privileged ones. As long as she stays off of our street I don't care but if she comes again I'll video it and call the sheriff.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

Please talk to the neighbor before calling authorities, it’s the neighborly thing to do. I am batting .500 on this issue. I approached one neighbor, he brought the dog indoors and problem solved. The second didn’t go so well. I approached the neighbor, he said that’s what dogs do and went back to his bbq. Fortunately another, more forceful neighbor, approached him and the problem was solved.

If the neighbor tells you to pound sand, call the authorities. However, you might find them to be cooperative. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
There is a woman in our neighborhood that does not leash her dog, I told her on 3 occasions that it had to be leashed and she accused me of harassing her and then gave me the finger. She must have been a unloved child that turned into a real B. One of the privileged ones. As long as she stays off of our street I don't care but if she comes again I'll video it and call the sheriff.
Nice attitude.
Great example for her grandkids.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:03 PM

That barking dog could be trying to alert someone that something is terribly wrong in the home. I would have definitely called the police to check on the home after one hour of non-stop barking.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomsiepop View Post
That barking dog could be trying to alert someone that something is terribly wrong in the home. I would have definitely called the police to check on the home after one hour of non-stop barking.
I was thinking the exact same thing. From what little we read in the first post of this thread, the person hadn't ever heard this before. It was new. And sudden. And prolonged. Dogs don't suddenly start barking for no reason for two hours, when they hadn't been doing that on a regular basis for years.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I see that you live in Fenney. In new areas, I think it is common for people to not follow our laws about dogs being leashed.

We moved into Osceola Hills two years ago and saw several people with unleashed dogs. A couple of unleashed dogs charged up to us in a very threatening manner so I reported it to the TV office near Starbucks in Lake Sumter Landing.

We also reported it to the Sumter County Animal Control at 819 CR529 Lake Panasoffkee. To get there, you drive south on 301 to Sumterville, turn west on route 470, and CR 819 will be on the left a little before you cross I75. The person there was very friendly and took our complaint and said they would contact the dog owners.

The next time we saw the owner, the dogs were on a leash.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
We had this problem with the neighbors behind us; they would leave a dog out in their screened in pool area all day, and it would bark and whine the whole time. Finally got the chance to let them know, and it hasn't happened again. Try talking to the owners.
I agree that a visit with the dog's owner may be all that is needed.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:50 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I see that you live in Fenney. In new areas, I think it is common for people to not follow our laws about dogs being leashed.

We moved into Osceola Hills two years ago and saw several people with unleashed dogs. A couple of unleashed dogs charged up to us in a very threatening manner
I encounter people on my daily morning walk and some ask me about me carrying a "walking stick". This is why. Well that, and I am from NY.
Steve
Old 02-17-2019, 11:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
I encounter people on my daily morning walk and some ask me about me carrying a "walking stick". This is why. Well that, and I am from NY. Steve
Yeah, after my encounters with unleashed dogs I began carrying my hiking stick with a sharp metal point.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Dog Barking?

[QUOTE=coffeebean;1625419]I have never heard a barking dog in Mallory.......until today. The dog barked non stop (with 10 second breaks about every 5 minutes) for nearly 2 hours that I heard. I went outside on this glorious day to do yard work and the dog was already barking off in the distance so who knows how long the dog had been barking already. The dog was probably 2 or 3 blocks away from me but was still so very annoying! I can imagine how awful it must have been for neighbors on the same street.

How can a homeowner allow the dog to bark and disturb the beautiful peaceful environment we have here in The Villages? The only thing I can think of is the pet owner left the dog unattended, probably on a screened in lanai or worse yet.....tied to a tree.

WOW! Will the management do anything about a dog or anything else that annoys us? Well, Hey, you paid to live here, right? You want some help, right? Better shape up, pay your fees, however, do not expect any special treatment. Do we have rules, Yep, lots of them. Do we enforce rules?? Well, that is another matter.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, barking, heard, thing, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.