Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2019, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=Brawnwy123;1625548]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I have never heard a barking dog in Mallory.......until today. The dog barked non stop (with 10 second breaks about every 5 minutes) for nearly 2 hours that I heard. I went outside on this glorious day to do yard work and the dog was already barking off in the distance so who knows how long the dog had been barking already. The dog was probably 2 or 3 blocks away from me but was still so very annoying! I can imagine how awful it must have been for neighbors on the same street.

How can a homeowner allow the dog to bark and disturb the beautiful peaceful environment we have here in The Villages? The only thing I can think of is the pet owner left the dog unattended, probably on a screened in lanai or worse yet.....tied to a tree.

WOW! Will the management do anything about a dog or anything else that annoys us? Well, Hey, you paid to live here, right? You want some help, right? Better shape up, pay your fees, however, do not expect any special treatment. Do we have rules, Yep, lots of them. Do we enforce rules?? Well, that is another matter.
I think I remember you are getting ready to sell your home here and move on.

It is my experience we find the same general types of folks everywhere. I think that more law abiding people and rule followers live in The Villages than any other place I have lived. May be how they were brought up that stuck. Our moms were a lot STRICTER.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:40 PM
Sage

Don't know in Mallory you live but there is a portion of it that backs up to that farm. I live down the road from Mallory so a distance from that farm area.....have heard a dog barking (distance though) from time to time. Could it be from there???

I do agree that "some" people don't abide by the leash laws. I've seen walkers with their pet, not on a leash AND have seen them at the postal stations too. IF there would be any type of altercation where their dog bit someone, they would be held libel and even have to pay vet or doctor bills, depending on the situation. NOT worth being sued over. Just because things "might" have been different back where they moved from, it's up to folks to find out the laws and rules in their new location.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Please talk to the neighbor before calling authorities, it’s the neighborly thing to do.
You will need to find out the street name and house number before you call authorities.
I agree, please talk to the neighbors.
Something might be wrong inside, or they may not realize their dog barks incessantly when they're gone.

Last edited by Barefoot; 02-17-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Don't know in Mallory you live but there is a portion of it that backs up to that farm.
We don't live anywhere near a farm as far as I'm aware. We are close to the Mallory mail center.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:56 PM

Elaine Bennis has experience in matters such as this. You'll need someone who can drive at night and into the forest.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNaughton View Post
Elaine Bennis has experience in matters such as this. You'll need someone who can drive at night and into the forest.
You will also need Newman as well.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
We don't live anywhere near a farm as far as I'm aware. We are close to the Mallory mail center.
Go to the Mallory area on the south-side of Stillwater and turn on the 1st street, right (going down the hill from the mailboxes. IF you go to the far edge of the subdivision ( forget street names) you will see fences backing to people's homes. Same in Amelia. The fences divide T.V. from a farm. If the "air" is just right sometimes you can hear animals---or used to be able to. BUT in your case, it may be a clue-less Villager. Hope you get this annoyance resolved!
Old 02-17-2019, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

So far.....so good today. No further barking that I can hear. As for the farm.....I'm not near enough to that area to be able to hear a barking dog. This dog was only two or three blocks away from my house.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
How do you know? Did you google earth you’re villa and see what close or not?

I was out this morning, prefect day paradise, until the the maintenance crews pulled up and started the muffler less yard equipment and blew rock yards for two hours, then another one pulled up next door and vlew another tow hours. What And obnoxious AH disturbing my moment of zen. But, from 7am to 9pm Noise is allowed.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

There are those with good hearing and those with bad hearing and those with a heightened and irritated response to some sounds sometimes called hyperacusis.

I can't stand to hear a baby crying for very long. Or fingernails on a blackboard...…….or some current music.

My sister can't stand to hear people chewing...and sadly I am always eating stuff. I have to, three times a day.

We humans are so different and many require patience.

Good morning. It's another beautiful day in The Villages.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-18-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:49 AM

A few years ago, I dog sat for a friend and the dog was unaccoustomed to staying alone and barked like crazy until I returned. When I arrived home there was a note on my door from neighborhood watch. Think you should give them a call.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:12 AM

I went to stay with my newly retired parents in Tennessee some years ago. A dog barked all night. I told my parents I could not sleep. They said...well, you are in the country. I went to the drug store and got those "gummy" type earplugs (the foam type don't help with noise). They helped. there are also "white noise apps" (google it) that sound a bit like rain and cover all noises.

But lets home you don't have to do there in this situation. Your neighbor with the dog may have come from "the country" where it was acceptable. I agree it is not acceptable here. If you talk to them and they do not cooperate and then you call the law, you are in a pickle. I say write an anonymous, but kind note, assuming they are well meaning but don't know the dog is disturbing others. Then if nothing changes, work with the law.

I feel so very sorry for the dog, who is expressing distress with constant barking, but I love animals and deplore some of the ways our society thinks it is OK to treat them...but that was not the subject of this thread so I will stop.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:16 AM

Absolutely call someone when there is sudden prolonged barking. The owner may have had a stroke, cardiac arrest...it could be an emergency and the poor dog is trying to get someone's attention. That would be my first thought. If that isn't the case, at least you checked to make sure someone didn't die.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:45 AM

Having had barking dog issues in other neighborhoods, I inquired as to The Villages' policy on this before buying here. I never really got an answer. Penned or chained dogs bark out of boredom and frustration. Often the owner is at work or away, and not aware of it, but it's still a nuisance and a violation of most noise ordinances. The first couple of times, I politely asked the neighbor to do something, but, since there was no easy fix for them they typically become indignant, one even insisting that her dog had a "right to bark". The last time this happened, I called Animal Control rather than the neighbor. After two warnings, and an imminent citation, they apparently started leaving the dog indoors when they were at work. I remained anonymous. Thank you, Animal Control!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Please talk to the neighbor before calling authorities, it’s the neighborly thing to do. I am batting .500 on this issue. I approached one neighbor, he brought the dog indoors and problem solved. The second didn’t go so well. I approached the neighbor, he said that’s what dogs do and went back to his bbq. Fortunately another, more forceful neighbor, approached him and the problem was solved.

If the neighbor tells you to pound sand, call the authorities. However, you might find them to be cooperative. Good luck.
I had one neighbor tell me his dog's barking was "just what dogs do". I said, "Well, crack dealers just sell crack. That doesn't make it OK." and called Animal Control. People with that kind of arrogant attitude usually only respond to a threat.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, barking, heard, thing, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.