Barking Dog!!!

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2019, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambles View Post
Having had barking dog issues in other neighborhoods, I inquired as to The Villages' policy on this before buying here. I never really got an answer. Penned or chained dogs bark out of boredom and frustration. Often the owner is at work or away, and not aware of it, but it's still a nuisance and a violation of most noise ordinances. The first couple of times, I politely asked the neighbor to do something, but, since there was no easy fix for them they typically become indignant, one even insisting that her dog had a "right to bark". The last time this happened, I called Animal Control rather than the neighbor. After two warnings, and an imminent citation, they apparently started leaving the dog indoors when they were at work. I remained anonymous. Thank you, Animal Control!
Quote:
Quite an attitude you've got there.
Quote:
I had one neighbor tell me his dog's barking was "just what dogs do". I said, "Well, crack dealers just sell crack. That doesn't make it OK." and called Animal Control. People with that kind of arrogant attitude usually only respond to a threat.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:01 AM
Gold member

Hmmm, I’m from NY and never carry a stick of any kind. I’m not afraid of dogs. Maybe they sense that.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Behind me are two small dogs that are let out by owners into their lanai from 8 am to 10 pm. The owners sit in lanai and do nothing to stop them from barking. I’m not talking barking every few minutes, I’m talking non- stop the entire day. It is so disturbing that a next door neighbor actually moved after he mentioned to them about the constant noise, words were exchanged and enemies remained. I am hesitant to say anything either, due to no doubt the same results will be inevitable. I can sit in my lanai or go in my backyard due to the horrific daily barking. I wish someone can help us both. Neighbor Watch is useless, I don’t want to call the police; they have better things to do. I’m at my wits end. ASPCA probably won’t get involved and even if I mention it to these neighbors they would get their backs up and probably let the dogs out earlier. If anyone has any idea what to do , please reply. Believe it or not, I also have a dog, and she only barks if somebody comes to the door or roams the property.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:46 AM

I agree with the posts that suggest there is something wrong in the house. Call Community Watch 352-753-0550 - when you hear prolonged barking. Tell them you are concerned because this is unusual and you're worried the resident is in trouble/danger. This way you solve the issue of confronting an angry neighbor yourself if there isn't a problem. Or you save someone's life. It'll also get the complaint registered with TV. You don't have to identify yourself.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:44 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
Hmmm, I’m from NY and never carry a stick of any kind. I’m not afraid of dogs. Maybe they sense that.
I'm from NY and not afraid of dogs either. and if I wasn't carrying my "walking stick" I would have been mauled by a Rottweiler that got loose from it's owner. I saw he couldn't handle it from 50yds away. Yes that dog was hurting!
Later, Steve
Old 02-18-2019, 12:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFER54 View Post
It is so disturbing that a next door neighbor actually moved after he mentioned to them about the constant noise, words were exchanged and enemies remained. I am hesitant to say anything either, due to no doubt the same results will be inevitable.
If the neighbor refuses to keep the dogs quiet and the authorities will not do anything to rectify the situation, then there is only one thing to do ... Make the neighbors more miserable than they are making you.

I don't know exactly what you can do. Maybe play some disgusting music aimed at their lanai. Maybe put a chair on the edge of your yard and sit and stare at them. Anyone have any ideas?

After the neighbors realize you have the power to make them miserable, maybe you can work out a treaty with them.

That is how we and the Russians have kept the peace since WW II.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:31 PM

Her actions are no surprise when it comes to some dog owners that think their dogs can do no wrong. This includes they think everyone's lawn is their dogs toilet. Use your own yard. I happen to get down on my hands and knees to weed and do planting. Don't need to kneel where their dog did it's business whether they picked it up or not. I was told for those who fail to read the signs, call the police for trespassing.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:28 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Behind me are two small dogs that are let out by owners into their lanai from 8 am to 10 pm. The owners sit in lanai and do nothing to stop them from barking. I’m not talking barking every few minutes, I’m talking non- stop the entire day. It is so disturbing that a next door neighbor actually moved after he mentioned to them about the constant noise, words were exchanged and enemies remained. I am hesitant to say anything either, due to no doubt the same results will be inevitable. I can sit in my lanai or go in my backyard due to the horrific daily barking. I wish someone can help us both. Neighbor Watch is useless, I don’t want to call the police; they have better things to do. I’m at my wits end. ASPCA probably won’t get involved and even if I mention it to these neighbors they would get their backs up and probably let the dogs out earlier. If anyone has any idea what to do , please reply. Believe it or not, I also have a dog, and she only barks if somebody comes to the door or roams the property.
If you don't want to call the police and file a complaint, you'll just have to listen to them. I'm surprised you have not and also that no other neighbor has called. There are laws regarding more than normal dog barking and all it takes is a phone call to end your problem. Call the sheriff's department and explain the situation to them and you'll soon be a happy camper once again.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
How do you know? Did you google earth you’re villa and see what close or not?

I was out this morning, prefect day paradise, until the the maintenance crews pulled up and started the muffler less yard equipment and blew rock yards for two hours, then another one pulled up next door and vlew another tow hours. What And obnoxious AH disturbing my moment of zen. But, from 7am to 9pm Noise is allowed.
We are not in a villa. No, we are not near a farm, according to Google Maps. No barking today. I spent 4 hours in the yard and not a peep.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyBuddy View Post
Absolutely call someone when there is sudden prolonged barking. The owner may have had a stroke, cardiac arrest...it could be an emergency and the poor dog is trying to get someone's attention. That would be my first thought. If that isn't the case, at least you checked to make sure someone didn't die.
I would imagine there were neighbors who heard the barking dog that I referred to in my original post. I was not that close to the house. I have good hearing though so was able to hear the barking loud enough to bother me. There have to be dozens of other homes closer than mine. The barking was off in the distance. If it were closer to me, I would have investigated.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
As others have said above.....call animal control. This behavior from the dog owner is abhorable. I absolutely would not put up with this noise and blatant disregard for neighbor's peace.

As for the neighbor selling his/her home to get away from the barking dogs??? The noise should have been stopped. Selling one's home is not the answer.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
I agree with the posts that suggest there is something wrong in the house. Call Community Watch 352-753-0550 - when you hear prolonged barking. Tell them you are concerned because this is unusual and you're worried the resident is in trouble/danger. This way you solve the issue of confronting an angry neighbor yourself if there isn't a problem. Or you save someone's life. It'll also get the complaint registered with TV. You don't have to identify yourself.
I honestly did not think Community Watch would do anything about a barking dog.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I honestly did not think Community Watch would do anything about a barking dog.
From what I've been told, they can't do anything about anything.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 02-19-2019, 07:39 PM

Amazon Best Sellers: Best Sonic Bark Deterrents
Old 02-20-2019, 06:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorhome View Post
Thanks for posting this. I had no idea these kind of products existed.

We have dogs near us who bark occasionally but they are easy for us to ignore. If they were a problem, we would sure try one of the products you showed.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, barking, heard, thing, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.