Lightening Rods-

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Default Lightening Rods-

Just wondering how everyone feels about the need of lightening rods in TV. Does anybody have them? I heard that they don't do anything with a direct hit,..so whats the sense. My neighbors had them put on last year, they charge by the footage on the roof. For the Patio Villa it was $1200.

If this is the lightening capital of the country---why doesn't everyone have them??

Whats your thoughts?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Lightening Rods-

I've heard the same as you - that they really don't do anything. But my next door neighboor has them! So she must think they do something.
:dontknow:
Old 10-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default The "Scoop" From An Electrician

In response to my inquiry on the same subject, a local electrician told me not to waste my money. He explained that lightning rods have a solid metal "fuse" on the roof near each rod. If hit by lightning, the electrical charge is transmitted to ground by the ground cables. But the fuse is designed to melt with a strike, requiring an inspection of the system to assure it is still intact, along with a replacement of the solid metal fuse. He pointed out that the lightning rod systems on the commercial buildings in and around TV are inspected by qualified personnel quarterly or after severe localized lightning storms to assure their integrity. He pointed out that the contractors selling home lightning rod installations never offer periodic inspections. And homeowners either don't know or aren't inclined to climb up on their roofs every few months to look at cabling and fuses, even if they knew what to look for.

Beyond that, my electrician friend explained, if lightning enters the house thru underground electrical, phone or TV cable or thru your birdcage or gutters, the roof-mounted rods provide no protection whatsoever.

He did suggest that in lieu of lightning rods every Villages home should be protected with a total house ground fault and surge protection at a fraction of the cost of lightning rods. He forewarned not to buy the system offered by the electric company. He said it's designed to protect their equipment from lightning or surges moreso than your house. I had the electrical sub that built my house install whole house ground fault/surge protection for about $500. The box is in my garage near where the electrical line enters the structure. It has two green lights which, if either one is out you call the electrician. They will come out and inspect at no cost. If the system has experienced a "hit", the box will be replaced for a period of ten years after installation at no cost to me.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Veteran member

Kahuna, I want to thank you for your thoughtful responses. I've learned more from you than anyone else on this site. I'm placing many of your educational responses in a separate folder for use when I relocate to TV.

THANKS!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Sage

Kahuna, thank you for taking the time to provide that great information. My husband I were just talking about getting lightening rods when we move to TV, that is an excellent response.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:04 AM

Thanks k for the information. I think it will be one of our future home improvements to get the underground protection as you suggested.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Sage

I agree with Mickey - Kahuna either has lots of time on his hands or is just a great guy! Maybe both? In any event his responses offer a lot to us wannabes! I Thank him for that. It will be many years before i get down there but i look forward to meeting him.

Russ
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.