Bathroom Towel Warmer

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2021, 04:58 PM
Cool Bathroom Towel Warmer

Has anyone installed a bathroom towel warmer? We have been thinking about having one installed in the master bath. Are they an easy install, or would you advise to hire an electrician?

Thank you
Old 10-18-2021, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,953 Times in 1,706 Posts

Are you kidding?

If not, they sell plug in ones, both towel rack and units you can warm up your clothes in, or just put towels in the dryer before you use. There won’t be many days you’ll need it unless you got your AC cranked to freezing inside.

Last edited by Velvet; 10-18-2021 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:30 PM
Platinum member

A towel warmer sounds like heaven.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

We have had a towel warmer for about the last 20 years in 4 different homes. Ours are stand alone so we had a electrician install a GFCI outlet wherever we wanted the rack placed. Really great always having a warm completely dry towel.
The built in warmers are very nice but require a bit more work and more $$$. Sometimes they require a dedicated circuit.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:28 AM
Default Towel Warmer

Had several towel warmers for many years. I'd start with the stand alone model rather than mounted on the wall. We use it not only for warming and drying towels, but have one in laundry room to dry delicate items. Also great for drying towels after getting out of the pool. Go for it!
Old 10-19-2021, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,005 Times in 2,199 Posts

OP, figure $200 for the GFCI receptacle installation, more if you need a dedicated circuit. Not sure if you can actually do this in the shower area without violating a building code. I would definitely go with a stand alone unit, as noted above a wall installation will cost more.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:46 AM
Platinum member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Are you kidding?

If not, they sell plug in ones, both towel rack and units you can warm up your clothes in, or just put towels in the dryer before you use. There won’t be many days you’ll need it unless you got your AC cranked to freezing inside.
Use this along with your heated bidet toilet seat and toilet paper warmer. Life is great in The Villages.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:42 AM

My wife uses s portable towel warmer( think a small trash can with lid). Works well for her.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,846 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, figure $200 for the GFCI receptacle installation, more if you need a dedicated circuit. Not sure if you can actually do this in the shower area without violating a building code. I would definitely go with a stand alone unit, as noted above a wall installation will cost more.
In my master bathroom, there is almost six feet of counter space with an outlet on each side. To the left of that is the toilet with no outlet. To the right is the shower. Between the bathroom door and the shower there is enough room to hang a few towels from hooks, but not enough for a heated towel rack. The only place to mount one is in front of the toilet. (There is a pocket door, 28”, and the space between the door and the drywall is too shallow for an outlet, so the only place is the three feet in front of the toilet.). One wouldn’t want to have a portable towel warmer on the counter, and one wouldn’t want a power cord running across the bathroom floor. Thus, either the towel rack would need to be hard-wired into a circuit or it would require a new GFCI outlet. Both of these are jobs for electricians, generally. In my guest bath, there is only one outlet, above the counter next to the door. Same problem.

My solution may not be popular with most, but it works. After I shower, I leave the door closed and wipe myself down with my still warm washcloth in my still warm shower enclosure, wringing out the washcloth several times. Then I grab the towel hanging just above the shower door, pull it into the warm shower enclosure, and dry everything but my feet. When I step out of the shower, I’m dry, so I don’t get chilled. I don’t need a warm towel. (Actually, before grabbing the towel, I use a squeegee on the entire shower compartment, including the floor, so it will dry quickly.)
Old 10-20-2021, 07:18 AM
Default Bathroom Towel Warmer

We have had a towel warmer in our Orlando home for years and love it. Ours is a simple plug in and located right by an outlet so piece of cake for us. Installation of the towel rack was pretty straight forward, but do be sure that it is well secured in the wall.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Are you kidding?

Yea, I agree with you. Towel warmers are just another adult toy to spend money on. When I towel off it only takes a couple of mins. When I get out of the shower & by the time my body cools down I’m dry. It’s like saying I need 4 wheel drive in Florida, huh, what snow. I say throw your towel in the dryer for a min. it’ll be warm. Velvet, I agree with you totally!
Old 10-20-2021, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,953 Times in 1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
In my master bathroom, there is almost six feet of counter space with an outlet on each side. To the left of that is the toilet with no outlet. To the right is the shower. Between the bathroom door and the shower there is enough room to hang a few towels from hooks, but not enough for a heated towel rack. The only place to mount one is in front of the toilet. (There is a pocket door, 28”, and the space between the door and the drywall is too shallow for an outlet, so the only place is the three feet in front of the toilet.). One wouldn’t want to have a portable towel warmer on the counter, and one wouldn’t want a power cord running across the bathroom floor. Thus, either the towel rack would need to be hard-wired into a circuit or it would require a new GFCI outlet. Both of these are jobs for electricians, generally. In my guest bath, there is only one outlet, above the counter next to the door. Same problem.

My solution may not be popular with most, but it works. After I shower, I leave the door closed and wipe myself down with my still warm washcloth in my still warm shower enclosure, wringing out the washcloth several times. Then I grab the towel hanging just above the shower door, pull it into the warm shower enclosure, and dry everything but my feet. When I step out of the shower, I’m dry, so I don’t get chilled. I don’t need a warm towel. (Actually, before grabbing the towel, I use a squeegee on the entire shower compartment, including the floor, so it will dry quickly.)
This reminds me. While I do not use a towel warmer in TV, I did up north. Then I had a different idea. I remembered that at the ski chalet the floor was heated. I bought a bathroom space heater. Why not have the whole place toasty when you use it? I tried the towel warmer but the towels cooled off too quickly.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:55 AM

Frankly, I would be a bit embarrassed to tell people I live in Florida and had to have a towel warmer installed. Just saying.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:33 AM
Default Totally agree.

I was very surprised to learn of someone with my exact shower regimine; it's worked very well for me for many years.

QUOTE=MandoMan;2019250]In my master bathroom, there is almost six feet of counter space with an outlet on each side. To the left of that is the toilet with no outlet. To the right is the shower. Between the bathroom door and the shower there is enough room to hang a few towels from hooks, but not enough for a heated towel rack. The only place to mount one is in front of the toilet. (There is a pocket door, 28”, and the space between the door and the drywall is too shallow for an outlet, so the only place is the three feet in front of the toilet.). One wouldn’t want to have a portable towel warmer on the counter, and one wouldn’t want a power cord running across the bathroom floor. Thus, either the towel rack would need to be hard-wired into a circuit or it would require a new GFCI outlet. Both of these are jobs for electricians, generally. In my guest bath, there is only one outlet, above the counter next to the door. Same problem.

My solution may not be popular with most, but it works. After I shower, I leave the door closed and wipe myself down with my still warm washcloth in my still warm shower enclosure, wringing out the washcloth several times. Then I grab the towel hanging just above the shower door, pull it into the warm shower enclosure, and dry everything but my feet. When I step out of the shower, I’m dry, so I don’t get chilled. I don’t need a warm towel. (Actually, before grabbing the towel, I use a squeegee on the entire shower compartment, including the floor, so it will dry quickly.)[/QUOTE]
Old 10-20-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
Use this along with your heated bidet toilet seat and toilet paper warmer. Life is great in The Villages.
Dang...I'd best make certain my wife does not see this one...lol.
Closed Thread

Tags
bathroom, warmer, installed, towel, electrician

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.