beach advice

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Default beach advice

Our family is coming to visit, mostly young adults, and we want to go to a beach for a day or two. What do you recommend? We want to get there easily, have a good place to park and be on the beach for a day.
If there a other posts with all of this info, I apologize. I couldn't find them.
Thanks!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:29 PM

Clearwater Beach
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 05-13-2009, 03:52 PM

Honeymoon beach near Tarpon Springs. State park. Beautiful beach.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

Honeymoon beach is great, but I think it's rocky, personally.
Clearwater if fabulous, just south of there, about a mile , is Sand Key park (out on the key, just past clearwater) and it's a very nice beach.

Ft. Desoto, far south end of tampa is very nice too. They have a ferry that goes out to a key at 10 and 11 am each day for snorkeling, etc.
There's also, obviously, an old fort there.

Daytona is good for the atlantic side if you want the bigger waves.
A bit touristy, IMHO. Ormand just to the north is less crowded.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

New Smyrna Beach. South of Daytona, you can drive on the beach and you do not have all the junk shops. Spent many a December there until I found TV.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Sage

Anna Maria Island

http://www.annamariaislandchamber.org/

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwind View Post
New Smyrna Beach. South of Daytona, you can drive on the beach and you do not have all the junk shops. Spent many a December there until I found TV.
Yes new smyrna is very good and if you go to the north end there is a park and Ponce de Leon inlet you can bring dogs but you may see dolphins, sea turtles, Gopher turtles they live in holes in the ground, you can fish also the park is ~$3.50 and if you would like to drive on the beach it is $5.00 but at the end of Flagler (st/ave) there is free parking mens and Ladys rest room w/ showers. . . its good O also a small diner named Beacon up flagler about 2 blocks not to bad and cheap go have a great time

Da Sgt
Old 05-14-2009, 12:34 AM

Thanks so much for the advice! Sounds like we have some good choices.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:05 AM
Default Sharks

Be aware that New Smyrna Beach is the shark bite capitol of the World - especially for surfers. This article explains the problem:

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news....id=10863094725
Old 05-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Veteran member
Default Another point of view....

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfarr View Post
Be aware that New Smyrna Beach is the shark bite capitol of the World - especially for surfers. This article explains the problem:

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news....id=10863094725
Looking at the glass half full....the shark fishing is good.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Veteran member
Cool Lol Lol....

Sharks or no sharks....if thats what the surfers look like in the photo on the article, I think I might check out that beach and take surfing lessons lol!! .
Sorry lol...I couldnt resist . I am over here amusing myself lol, I better get my silly self off this computer and get to my chores!
Jeanne
Old 05-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mac View Post
Yes new Smyrna is very good and if you go to the north end there is a park and Ponce de Leon inlet you can bring dogs but you may see dolphins, sea turtles, Gopher turtles they live in holes in the ground, you can fish also the park is ~$3.50 and if you would like to drive on the beach it is $5.00 but at the end of Flagler (st/ave) there is free parking mens and Ladys rest room w/ showers. . . its good O also a small diner named Beacon up flagler about 2 blocks not to bad and cheap go have a great time

Da Sgt
Great seafood at Norwood's on 3rd Ave /RT 44 and right across the street is PJ's, another great place.

Now up the street is a little French bakery named Mon Delice that is to die for. This place has the best in French baking and don't even think about the calories. Get there early as they only make so much and some things are sold out by afternoon.

Just north on US 1 is a great place named Blackbeard's. Super early bird specials at 4:00 and the prime rib is my choice every time there.

South on US 1 in Edgewater is Dustin's BBQ. Similar to Sonny's BBQ with very good ribs.

I stay just south of the 27th Ave park either at the Moontide or Seacoast Gardens.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Sage

#1 Beach in the USA for 2008 = Caladesi Island State Beach near Clearwater

http://www.visitflorida.com/Caladesi_Island_State_Park
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 05-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Taltarzac
Default You can only stay on Caladesi Island for 4 hours if going by ferry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
#1 Beach in the USA for 2008 = Caladesi Island State Beach near Clearwater

http://www.visitflorida.com/Caladesi_Island_State_Park
"Caladesi Island is accessible only by private boat or via the Caladesi Connection ferry service. Cost for the ferry is $10.00 for adults and $6.00 for children ages four to twelve. Trips depart hourly beginning at 10 a.m. Ferry passengers are allotted a four-hour stay on the island. No pets are allowed on the ferry. Contact the ferry office at 727-734-1501 for more information." http://www.floridastateparks.org/CaladesiIsland/

The ferry is from Honeymoon Island.

Once you pay the entrance fee for Honeymoon Island though ($5 per car or $3 for car with a single person) you can stay there from just 8 a.m. to dusk. http://www.floridastateparks.org/honeymoonisland/

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-17-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.